Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
I owned a DAF Dafodil, a33, a44. a55, a 55 marathon Coupe, a 66 and a Volvo 343. The only Daf that I have never owned is the 46 which had a single belt and a DeDion Bouton rear axle.

CVTs, when implemented properly, are great, however, when they are poorly designed (look, for an example at Nissan to see how to get it spectacularly wrong) they are a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wonder how long the belt is good for. Must be lifetime of the gearbox/car.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
It will be the standard warranty period after which, if a CVT belt goes you are looking at £000's (as an example close to £5000 on a little Nissan Note) as, when the belt 'lets go', it irreparably trashes the entire gearbox.

Contrast that to the original DAF/Volvo design where the belt was sited outside the gearbox and replacement was a 60 minute job and cost £45.00! Even now, a new set of ribbed belts can be yours for £225.00.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, I’ve seen one thanks.
ST loaded to the gills, 800 miles in red 6k saving. Just a tad too much still for me. Oh well time can only bring more deals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I might be totally wrong, but there seems to be a misunderstanding on here and in some press articles that the Ford Kuga/Escape Hybrid/PHEV uses a conventional CVT transmission i.e. one that uses a belt and cones etc. and that it could be terribly unreliable.

Although the term CVT is basically correct in that it is a continuously variable transmission it has a fixed gear ratio using a planetary gear set aka Power Split Device (look it up) and has no belts, cones, brakes, clutches, torque converter, hydraulic controls etc to wear out or explode and therefore probably (fingers crossed) far more reliable longer term than any other transmission.

The more correct term for this type of hybrid transmission is eCVT and is remarkably like that used in the latest Toyota Prius. This is a very simple transmission mechanically with all the clever bits done by two electric motors and the transmission control module software. I believe this is either the third or fourth generation of the Ford eCVT that was used in the old Escape hybrid. Plenty of info on the web of how this particular eCVT works. Here's one for a start:

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Thanks for that, had it been a conventional metal 'push belt' CVT I wouldn't have one as a gift.

The You Tube clip is clear.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yep that’s a good clarification. I had thought that surely they wouldn’t have fitted a belt as the future cost and reliability would have come in for some stick. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
586 Posts
deleted

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
I would have thought Auto hold would release much like Hill start or Electric handbrake, which on my Mk2 is when engine revs are at about 1500 rpm and clutch is releasing.... I use the EHB al the time, and always auto release it. Great when towing...

·
Registered
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
586 Posts
Ok, i did not have this in my 2017 model, i believe, maybe because of the aut.gear. I just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The power shift is the hill hold only. On the flats you move forward.

·
Registered
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
586 Posts
The power shift is the hill hold only. On the flats you move forward.
I can assure you , Denmark is mostly a flat country :)
But i can confirm it happens once too often, that AUTO-HOLD is shown , right now. I might need to contact my dealer, he also mentioned when i moved my foot away from break the car would automatically move, that is no longer the case.

·
Registered
2020, mk3 Ford kuga
586 Posts
Ok,
i have an explanation now, and i missed it, probably because i did not read my manual.
Behind the electronic break there is a button to activate, which is the AUTO-HOLD feature, which i remember i did enable one of these days, as i thought it was the ABS break feature. Well, i was wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok,
i have an explanation now, and i missed it, probably because i did not read my manual.
Behind the electronic break there is a button to activate, which is the AUTO-HOLD feature, which i remember i did enable one of these days, as i thought it was the ABS break feature. Well, i was wrong.
The button does act as auto-hold. On mine the car 'creeps' when switched off and holds when switched on. Evidently if you are on a slope, you press the brake and then switch in auto-hold - it acts like a temporary parking break which disengages as soon as you try to move forward

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are there any kugonians that have the latest 2020 model that can share their experiences on this forum?

Would be nice for a good read on the new model from an actual owner, rather than other sites.

Just wondered and if there is, get ✍ writing and share with us all!
Hi Just received mine. ST Line X in chrome blue. First impressions are positive. I’m having trouble accessing the interior fuse box to fit a dash cam. I can’t seem to remove it. I’m visiting the dealer Tuesday to have mud flaps fitted etc. So I’ll be asking him to show me lol.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Very good.
We’ve had one new owner post a review which was very good, so when you’ve had a good play, please put a post on as they do help others make choices and it’s nice to have a bit of banter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i also have my ST Line PHEV 2.5L first edition now for 2 weeks. It was worth the wait. However, i have a question related to this new model related to the heated front window.. Frequently i drive through France and therefore purchasedn a active tag for the Toll roads, that needs to be placed in the shaded / mottled area behind /next to the rear vision mirror. This was all doable in my previous Kuga's with similar heated windows, but in the new 2020 model there is no such area. Any idea's or suggestion?

Thanks,

Edwin

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry, I can’t help but had wondered why that area was like that, maybe to stick the rear view mirror to.

I’d guess you’d have to put it that area. Does the heating element go all the way through. Thought it was more like two squares set in the glass with a thin gap in between and on the edges, of course they could have changed it.

21 - 40 of 159 Posts