Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

241 - 260 of 306 Posts

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Yes I did, that’s where I got the inspiration for my spoof.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
Shame it's not coming to Europe the spec looks fantastic and the removable roof is :cool:.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
looks like its been copied from mini, land rover and something else I cant put my finger on. It's Fugly.

@NigelB - quick question you may know the answer on. Just put a new battery on the wife's Mokka. Do you know if the BMS has to be reset. Tried registering on the Mokka forum but after 4 hours waiting for a verification email I got bored. Googling doesn't appear to help. £140 for a battery that should only be £70 and seeing as my last car did 9 years on an wet battery how does that affect the environment. No need to answer the last bit lol, just the BMS.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
No need for a rest on the Mokka mate, no BMS so just whack in the new battery,

When mine failed (cell collapse under warranty) by St. Mary's Hospital in Paddington I drove away six minutes after the RAC guy arrived.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thanks Nigel, that is what I thought but experience has taught me to always ask if you are not certain. Nice and easy to do on the Mokka and only had to reset the time, date and pair the wife's phone. Battery terminals were not too tight when I removed it lol. They were more than hand tight but an easy undo with the spanner. I did read what I assume was your post on the Mokka forum. I had the battery charger on it all morning and got it started but thought I would check the battery voltage with the wife turning it over and it dropped to about 8.4v from 12.1 so I guess its about ready to be replaced. Original made in Korea for Vauxhall and just over 4 years old. Have a Lucas one now.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
Yes, it was my post.

Those 'GM' batteries were/are notorious for having one or more cells collapse. When that happens they are trash. Only really designed to last the duration of the warranty, mine didn't even manage that!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
At least my Mazda 6 came with a brand I recognised. Not sure what the Kuga has on it

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
Back in the good old days, when Fords were made in Dagenham, all of the batteries were Chloride Exide and literally came through the gate on pallets from the Exide battery plant next to the Ford works.

Chloride almost went bust when Ford went on strike as the production process was predicated on 24/7/365 operation and they were unable to shut down the acid production plant as it would have caked up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We never see any unicorns back in the early 70's .....................plenty of brilliant bands tho ,oh and beer.

How times have changed, but still love a few BEERS now ;)

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Do you really think batteries are only made to last three years?

If they are then that’s scandalous in these times of mass consumption and a throw away attitude. As a manufacturer you’d think they’d want a good name for reliability........and I guess why some many mass produced things go faulty, the speed at which they are built and the quality and quantity of the main essentials.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Do you really think batteries are only made to last three years?

If they are then that’s scandalous in these times of mass consumption and a throw away attitude. As a manufacturer you’d think they’d want a good name for reliability........and I guess why some many mass produced things go faulty, the speed at which they are built and the quality and quantity of the main essentials.
I read something today that stop start batteries are much superior to the old wet acid batteries and will last a lot longer. My guess these people who say these things have either worked for the government or plan to in the future. It is lip service as in reality look how many people have battery failures on here in first and second year of ownership. I know that my own car had a battery fitted in its warranty period as it was the only fault the previous owner had.

It could be that manufacturers are no longer using decent brands and using CCS instead. Work out the acronym please. The first letter is cheap. The second letter is a country that is a long way to the east and the last letter is what you don't want to stand in lol. Or other countries where something is built to a price. The Mokka battery comes from Korea. Personally I don't care where something is made so long as the quality is there but taking something and making it cheaper by reducing the quality is not cost effective and certainly not good for our environment.

It's like buying a packet of coin batteries from the pound shop. They don't last 5 minutes irrespective of what brand they are compared to buying elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
I worked for Chloride back in the 1980's as a Chartered Engineer. Batteries were produced then in nine grades. The first digit of the type number (0-8) was the grade number (the higher the better). No manufacturer would ever pay for a grade higher than '1'. They really were only designed to last for as long as the manufacturer was liable (then it was 12 months now it is commonly 36). Even those companies that offer seven and ten year warranties exclude batteries from the extension period.

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I’m with you there on the coin batteries.

Bought a pack of Kodak, multi mix batts from “Poundland “. But some in a musical book for the GD and they lasted three plays.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are there any kugonians that have the latest 2020 model that can share their experiences on this forum?

Would be nice for a good read on the new model from an actual owner, rather than other sites.

Just wondered and if there is, get ✍ writing and share with us all!
Just taken delivery of New Kuga 2020 1ed Titanium with Driver Assist. Working my way through options at the moment and will likely have a lot of questions and items for discussion which I will put up as individual issues/questions to keep some sort of order. - Just a general item for now to kick off regarding where do you go for the very detailed technical questions :
This is a very complex system on this car with a lot of potential an a lot that is very vague in terms of settings and controls. I have looked at both the paper manual and also the electronic version that can be accessed through FordPass, whilst they give the very basic information that might have been expected with an older generation car I can not say that I find either particularly well structured or easy to navigate particularly looking at the sections on adaptive cruise control, speed limiter or automated parking. Tried asking a question trough AskFord this morning; not impressed! "Don't know", "Have a look in the manual", "Have a word with your dealer"; asked a follow-up question as to whether there is a owners forum, "Deathly Silence"!! Disappointing response from Ford I feel for this car there is an major need for an on the ball expert advice and it would not hurt Ford to foster an owners forum as a supportive route. However after a little bit of Googling I landed on this site.
I guess question for now is: Am I missing anywhere as a good reference for the nitty gritty technical questions about the systems/electronics for this car?

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Milekuga, welcome and congrats on the new Kuga.

We are a good lot on here and now the new 2020 is coming on line thick and fast, some of the questions will need to be answered by those owners.

Working on the theory that there won’t be much difference between systems, although it’s a new model, I’ll have a go at some of your points. I will stand corrected by a Guru (someone who is very knowledgeable and may even be a super moderator)

Self park.
Well, as it a UK model and once you pressed the relative button, it will assume you wish to park to the left. To tell the car to search on the right, you have to put the right hand indicator on. Follow the on screen instructions. Weird to use but very good, I consider myself one of those blokes who can park anywhere, but it has beat me up once or twice. Lol.

Speed limiter is ace and I use it a lot. Again assuming it’s the same, press to activate and press again to select the speed you want. So if your doing 30mph, press once then again to store 30mph. Toggle up with up or down arrows for increments 1mph or I think if you do a longer press 5mph blocks. To cancel press the speed limiter button again. You can also press CAN which temp disables it and RES to resume the preset speed. That also applies for cruise control.

As to adoptive cruise, I don’t have it, but did on a VW Tiguan we had and hated it. Made you look like a right chump if someone came in front of you, as it would apply the brakes like a looney. You can adjust the gap length for sensitivity.

Hopefully the above might help you out.

·
Registered
842 Posts
....Speed limiter is ace and I use it a lot....
Actually what you described is the cruise control function. Speed limiter does what it says, you preset the speed limit (max speed) and the system makes sure you don't exceed that limit. Handy for avoiding costly tickets. It can be temporarily deactivated if you fully press the go pedal for a couple of seconds (system understands you want to overtake).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Milekuga, welcome and congrats on the new Kuga.

We are a good lot on here and now the new 2020 is coming on line thick and fast, some of the questions will need to be answered by those owners.

Working on the theory that there won’t be much difference between systems, although it’s a new model, I’ll have a go at some of your points. I will stand corrected by a Guru (someone who is very knowledgeable and may even be a super moderator)

Self park.
Well, as it a UK model and once you pressed the relative button, it will assume you wish to park to the left. To tell the car to search on the right, you have to put the right hand indicator on. Follow the on screen instructions. Weird to use but very good, I consider myself one of those blokes who can park anywhere, but it has beat me up once or twice. Lol.

Speed limiter is ace and I use it a lot. Again assuming it’s the same, press to activate and press again to select the speed you want. So if your doing 30mph, press once then again to store 30mph. Toggle up with up or down arrows for increments 1mph or I think if you do a longer press 5mph blocks. To cancel press the speed limiter button again. You can also press CAN which temp disables it and RES to resume the preset speed. That also applies for cruise control.

As to adoptive cruise, I don’t have it, but did on a VW Tiguan we had and hated it. Made you look like a right chump if someone came in front of you, as it would apply the brakes like a looney. You can adjust the gap length for sensitivity.

Hopefully the above might help you out.
Thanks Psshaw, that's really helpful pointers; I also see the reply from "The Ace" below and this amplifies the struggle that I am having at the moment navigating the available instructions. There are a whole set of available functions of the car that heavily overlap and it is not at all clear translating the end result of what I want into settings because these overlap so heavily between the different function settings. I have in mind two specific issues at the moment (and will set them out in two new threads) as best I can understand this is an overlap between "speed sign recognition", "speed limiter", "navigation", and "cruise control" potentially all having settings required to achieve what I am looking for. Many thanks again for welcome, suggestions and response.

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
My Vignale has speed sign recognition, it does that and nothing else on ours.

See the sign, reads it and puts a sign on in between the two dials, end of. It’s just a visual reminder of what the limit is. I’m not aware that it speeds up or slows down for you, if that’s what your asking.

Sat nav, oh well a whole new world of pain! I like our sync3 but you can only give an instruction, as it is written or said in the help command. Any variation and it will give you the very long winded, “didn’t understand that, you can say......blah blah blah”

Sit in the car and listen to the commands and have a go.

As to the overlap, I’m not sure how you mean, I am a bit of a thicko........

241 - 260 of 306 Posts