Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kuga is a2015 model without Ambient lighting crying: but I have managed to add my own in the doors and cup holder using Blue LED’s from a Fish Tank System and connected them to the dimming switch from the later model in the roof. I also added front Map lights from an escape (I think the latest Kuga also has these) which come on when you open the door as well as when you press them.
Anyone else had a go at retrofitting Ambient lighting?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,559 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
My Kuga is an ST-L, so already has the ambient, but I do plan to instal the same LEDs which are located in the front footwells in the rear, under the front seats, because (a) anyone who has kids knows full well that you need light in the back (to search for anything a kid might drop), and (b) it just seems wrong that the front of the cabin is fully lit and the back is in complete darkness (if the kids want to take a nap, I can always turn off the ambient).

Installing the factory ambient is a bit troublesome (if at all possible), however I've done the same thing you did in my previous car (Citroen C5), by installing optical fiber in the spots were the factory ambient should be, and connect it an interior lighting wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought some parts from a scrap dealer for mine, I didn’t want multi colour lighting so I removed the led chips from the door cards and put the blue ones in. The roof console wiring is not there, so using the wires from the connector I bought from the scrap dealer I made my own loom so I can dim the ambient lighting, but I can also have mine on during the day, unlike the factory version. I don’t have ambient footwell lights or the strip above the glove box. But the std footwell lights are ok for me, might try and extend these into the rear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I get my kuga st x in the 13th Oct can’t wait. Does anyone know if you can add ambient lighting as an aftermarket mod directly from fords?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Nope, it's a factory option only and dealers are pretty hopeless at identifying and sourcing the bits, that is assuming that Ford actually makes them available to the after-market at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That doesn’t surprise me, I asked them to put the rear camera in (as I thought it was standard) when it got to the showroom and surprise surprise no can do. Shocking since I can get one fitted at a local garage!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m adding ambient lighting to mine piece by piece but it’s not multi colour just blue, but not sure I would want to add it to a brand new car which I am assuming yours will be?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have now made a few more additions. I have managed to add front footwell (not pictured) and rear footwell ambient lighting with the help of the American cousins Escape model. This Really was one of the easiest mods I have done. Thank you Fillco
for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have now made a few more additions. I have managed to add front footwell (not pictured) and rear footwell ambient lighting with the help of the American cousins Escape model. This Really was one of the easiest mods I have done. Thank you Fillco
for all your help.
I am REALLY interested in this, could you provide a bit more detail about items' finis codes and procedure ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Codes are a problem as I don’t have any but basically I purchased a badly scratched Escape rear centre console section from America on a popular auction site. This came with a bracket, two LEDs with light tubes etc. The rear section is a completely different shape so I removed the light bracket from the Escape version and after drilling and a small file later I made two elongated holes in the same place on my Kuga version, glued the light bracket in place, connected the cables to the cup holder led and hey presto. I’ll upload a few pics, but the rear console is held in with four torx screws and just pulls up and off. Btw mine already had the 230v power socket, but this is not important, it would easily fit a Kuga with the 12v socket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rear ambient lights

Hopefully my attachments will uploadangel:

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
OK, so we probably need someone in the US forum, to provide some Finis codes for the rear ambient light fixtures (which apparently is only a US thing). I only expected the rear doors and footwells to also be illuminated, so this rear center console is an additional fixture...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Ace, these are the rear footwell lights for the Escape as the light guide tubes are elongated they throw the light across each rear footwell. Having searched everywhere I have come to the conclusion that the rear doors don’t have ambient lighting even in the Escape. I’m in the process of making my own version using door handle light guides from a 2017 Focus. I’ll post details once in have had a go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Edge Ambient lights

Hope this is allowed but I found this picture of a Ford Edge which shows ambient lighting under the front seats and in the front and rear doors

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I think that's the best place for them too Dave, under the seat, thats where I've always fitted my rear footwell lights, they tend not to blind the occupants if they are bright.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve got the bright white LEDs needing a home, as I have previously mentioned Phil, I might try and fit them under the Seat for the rear footwells when the door is opened like the front footwells. Only problem I can think of is I have a small dog who likes to park his rear end under the Seat. First problem is the LED’s get quite warm so would need a casing or light guide, and second he might knock them.
There is plenty of space inside the rear section of the console, so one idea is to use similar lenses like the front ones and cut into the housing. But not really oem!

·
Registered
804 Posts
So far, I've -more or less- decided that I will just buy two of the front footwell fixtures (about 70 euros each!!!), install them under the front seats and just connect them to the front fixtures. Should work with minimum fuss and just a few meters of wiring...

Don't know what (and if) I'll do about the rear doors...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts