Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do others find the Kuga a breeze to clean?

I ask, as I find it one of the nicest cars that comes up really well after each wash. It should with the amount of waxing it has!

Ours is the Milano Grigio. A colour I thought I’d never like. I didn’t intentionally go for that colour it was the Vignale and it’s spec and I though I could live with it, but it really is a nice finish.

Now two years old and with 24k on the clock “Vinnyl has succumbed to a few stone chips and nice on on the bonnet.

The weather in shaker wakey over the past week has been well off! Despite this it was really showing much stuck on muck especially at the lower part of the doors.

With a simple wash and a quick once over with AUTOGLYM “aqua wax”, it really did look nice in the full clear blue skies but a cold temperature.

The only thing I don’t like and I could do an easy swap with rubber mats, are the carpet mats. They really do collect dirt and I’m forever shaking them out or giving them a quick vac. But I like the plushness so they’ll be staying.
Ooh and the grit that collects on the lower inners door sills always make me cringe when I try to rinse it away!

I wonder when I did the Clay bar procedure on the bodywork that has helped out to keep the crud from sticking on.

Anyway love it still and going to have the oil and filter changed as it’s on. 20k service plan which if too long for me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
British summer time must have ended officially despite the clocks being interfered with again. Roll on 2021. Frost sensor on car last night. It's been that long since I have seen it I thought I had a problem lol.

Will I need winter tyres I wonder. Sorry couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have solved the winter tyre issue.
i have bought four rap around winter treads.£50 each, will do upto 80mph and are 4mm thick. Just clip on.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a little known convention under European law on tyres and “extra grip” facilitators.
It runs along the same as snow chains or snow socks basically.
Paragraph 3, subsection 4a of the said act, allows “extra grip” devices to be fitted as long as the total extreme width does not exceed that of the largest tyre available, in the Kuga case 19” rims. So if you had 19” rims you can’t fit this device and no doubt you’ll all be aware winter grips tyres are small as they are more efficient anyway.

It also has to be CE approved and in this case it also carries the German TUV endorsement, which is one of the highest safety awards available. (It’s a German product as well)

There has to be an overlap onto the side wall of the original tyre not less than 50% to prevent slippage.

The original tyre is partially deflated and the “extra grip” is fitted by rolling the car onto it. The grip is secured at each end by a series of locking bolts that pass through the rubber material. The tyre is inflated back to its original pressure and the “extra grip” forms to the tyre.

Simple really.

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bosscat.
Please be seated my friend.

We are at that magical time of story telling time, a bit like Hans Christian Anderson.

....and someone on this thread dared to mention winter tyres........and the “should they or shouldn’t they” question.

Having been down that route (pun intended) many times I turned to a fabrication, lie, fib, to come back as a “NO” not again to rebuff that yearly big question, no not “where did we come from”, but “do I need winter tyres”.

Have to say, I enjoyed compiling it and searching every branch, of what there is of the old grey matter.

I wondered if anyone would actually take the bait and chuckled at them searching the “web” and jibbering to the spouses about this new “all singing and dancing” winter tyre/grip breakthrough.

Alas, there is no magical product I described, soz. Funny tho. Take care Phill “Hans”

·
Registered
686 Posts
You do realise that someone may take your story and make it into a product. I would copyright the idea quick. Just digressing slightly about 4 years ago I had a trip planned for Austria in the March. Winter tyres are mandatory in both Germany and Austria until sometime in April so I did need winter or all season tyres. I believe your are also ok with summer tyres providing you carry snow chains. Before I decided on winter tyres I did see some very fancy accessories for those not wishing to buy tyres that had quick fit ratchet attachment.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks and did actually wonder why/if someone would see it and make a gazillion out of it.

If your out there, I’m watching out.............

·
Registered
686 Posts
Haha, I wonder how many people thought you were being serious. They would interfere massively with Ford's sensitive AWD. I live in Hull and if we ever get enough snow to even think about the dreaded subject then the rest of the UK will have suffered a similar fate to those in the movie, The Day After Tomorrow.

For those of you who haven't seen the movie you have truly missed out on a classic.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whilst we digress, there is a new self inflating tyre valve on the market.

The top of the valve is shaped like a Venturi which causes a fluctuation in pressure, which overcomes the pressure of the valve excerpted by the air pressure inside.

The valve has a built in spring, calibrated to whatever to manufacturers set. There is of course another counter spring to prevent over inflation.

The next bit sounds counter intuitive because you have to increase the rotation speed to exceed more than 50 mph for it to work. From my source at Michelin it’s early days but it’s expected to go into main stream manufacturing around 2020.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The odd thing about snow tyres is they don’t actually get rid of snow like normal tyres expel water to the side.

The grip the snow and then as the wheel rotates that snow grabs other snow and the two interlock and that’s what gives you the grip.

That is fact and not BS.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do others find the Kuga a breeze to clean?
Yep, extremely easy, I especially enjoy the coffee I'm sipping while seated across the robo-tunnel watching my Kuga getting sprayed, cleaned, washed and waxed :D

...and before anyone asks, yes they use lambcloth so no harm can befall my Kuga ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts