Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sucker on my Tomtom One is apt to let go of the windscreen at the least convenient moment. There are lots of alternate fixing gizmos on the market. Have you found one that works well in the Kuga?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
proclip and brodit do some great monting brackets which are car specific (expensive mind you)
I use the flat tomtom disc at the moment (about £5 off the tomtom website). It is a self adhesive that sticks on the dash board and you then use your windscreen mount to stick to it - works like a charm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nubby said:
proclip and brodit do some great monting brackets which are car specific (expensive mind you)
I use the flat tomtom disc at the moment (about £5 off the tomtom website). It is a self adhesive that sticks on the dash board and you then use your windscreen mount to stick to it - works like a charm

Do you mind me asking you where about on your dash you stuck your disc?? I recently upgraded my Garmin, and the disc refused to stick to the top of the dash. I put this down to the coating of Simoniz I applied last week. I would appreciate if you could enlighten me... Thanks! Edited by: Impala14

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hiya-
i have a tomtome one XL, and found the supplied window mount to be a bit pants, as the sat nav would drop off,

I bought one of these -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARKON-SWIVEL-CAR-VENT-CLIP-MOUNT-for-TOMTOM-ONE-V2_W0QQitemZ120165963141QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item120165963141&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A11%7C294%3A50

its a bit pricey, but a really good bit of kit, it clips to the vent, and has an adjustable knuckle, so you can swivel it to put your sat nav facing wherever you want,

well made and stable when in place.

i currently have a 58 plate focus (Kuga on order) and its great with the focus, so pretty sure it will work owth the kuga too.

Edited by: moggith

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd second the use of the air vent clip - although I bought the official Tom Tom one for my 730T which was about £15 plus a couple of quid delivery.

It means no sucker marks on window, and also means unit can be positioned in the center of the car which I prefer, having come from an X-Trail with "plumbed in" sat nav - plus I'm left handed as well so all in all ideal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
there was an intersting bean bag type on that ebay link you kindly put on post, that looked pretty good as well? Thanks for the guidance. Think I might try bean bag, will cover multitude of sins, I'll post results if/when I have one.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took proac's advice on this and ordered the vent mount clip for my Garmin. It works really well, the vent still functions properly, sat-nav has good satellite reception. The only quibble I would have is that you have to take your eyes further off the roadthan you would with the windscreen mount. Anyway,I would recommend this to anyone interested.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've tried various ways of mounting stuff in the K. None seem to have been much good and all were expensive. They've all looked a bit cheap and have fallen off too.Enter Mr H Robinson! I've now mounted 3 devices all seemingly without any physical means of support because the mountsare totally invisible to everyone whether inside or outside the car. The devices just seem to sit there in mid-air.

So far an XDA mini-s, a rear view monitor screen and a standalone Bluetooth GPS receiver are mounted thus...

For the XDA, take two twinhook brass picture hooks and fix them flat side to and inverted to the battery cover on the rear of the XDA. This now gives two slightly downward pointing thin hooks which can be slid into the narrow gap between the top edge of the driver'sside face vent and the facia panel (the vent functions normally). Bingo. All is hidden and it's solid as a rock. This doubles as the GPS screen and the car phone. The GPS receiver has one such (straightened) hook fitted and the hook slips into the joint between the top of the facia and the bottom of the A post trim. The rear view screen is similarly modified and the hooks slip into the joint between the middle and lower facia panels to the right of the steering column.

The multi point power socket is mounted on a couple of discrete screws below ther/v screen and the cables run behind the facia to emerge close to each device as appropriate.

Would photos help?

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi,

Here are a few photos of the way I fixed the devices onto the facia. Each uses the picture hooks.

If you don't want to fix the hooks to the device itself for some reason, you can always fix them to something else which is flat so that you can fix to that in turn.

The relevant set is the one titled for Devices.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heli_mad/

Hope it helps.

PJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts