Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would start a thread for those of us who opted for the roof bars either seperately or as part of the appearance pack to comment on anything from bike and ski carriers toroof boxes and the like!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've tried my Thule roofbars from my Mondeo estate on the Kuga and they work fine although in theory the bars should be slightly longer for the Kuga.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone had the roof rails fitted by the dealer?

I'm hopefully picking my Kuga upnext week and had arranged to have him fit the roof bars for £460, however calling round local dealers I have been quoted between £270 and £315 supplied and fitted. What has everyone else paid?
Edited by: Vorbis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vorbis

Like in my other post, my dealer quote £350 supplied and fitted which isn't too bad. Now turns out, they don't have the experience to do this, so beware.

Told me they are only used to replacing roof rails if they have been damaged when supplied, but have never actually fitted any from scratch

·
Registered
130 Posts
My local dealer (T C Harrison Peterborough) fitted them in June (after Ford got their act together and finally delivered the correct parts on the third attempt - but it was the second week after launch).

Total cost was £350 but I then had to buy the Roof Bars on top at a further cost of £70.

Quality of work was very good and we finally put them to the test over Xmas were we put a (probably over loaded) Thule on top and drove from Peterborough to the Lake District doing 80MPH on the motorway and it stayed on both going and coming back.

Hope this helps

Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Raptor.

Were your roof rails fitted ok? I had some concerns over headlining etc and have even more concerns now, in that my local Ford said they could do this for £350 but have since told me that they do not have anyone experienced enough.

They mentioned drilling holes into the roof, which has put me off completely, with the thought of leaks etc etc

Would appreciate your thoughts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Davie, sorry for taking so long to get back to you but I have just got back from my hols...

I have had no issues with the work they have done, the headlining went back OK and there have been no leaks at all. The work was done by their body shop rather than the service engineers.

Hope this helps

Jerry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you giys saying that unless the roof rails are ordered before the car is delivered, there is no way to put them in by removing the rubber strips that go down the sides of the roof?
I am looking at fitting instructions for the roof rails which assume there are holes there already for the screws to fit into.

Dom.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome Dom !!!

I am picking up my Zetec in Vision on Sunday morning. I didn't order the roof rails as I don't like the Privacy Glass that comes with them in the Appearance Pack (Hub has it on his S-Max and I find it difficult to see when reversing off our drive in the dark!!) So I have gone for the Convenience Pack & Bluetooth. Still can't decide whether I like the Aluminium-finish rails with the Vision exterior, so am going to wait and live with it for a few days and then decide...

I can buy the Rails from Dealer for £175 and Hub will fit them for me, as he says they only take about half-hour to fit and are easy!!

Hope this helps !!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the roofrail fitting requires the A,B,C, and D pillar trims to be removed, which in turn will allow the roofliner to drop, then you can access the bolt holes where the bolts screw upwards through the roof into the rails. This is great if the holes are there, there could be a paper pattern to mark the holes from above the roofafter the removal of theplastic strips. Concerns are paint the holes if they are drilled so rust is minimised, and there are side airbags (curtains) along the tops of the doors these are exposed when the roofliner is dropped so exercise caution for this operation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have bought the roof rails and had a look at the instructions. The instructions show that you peel off the current rubber strips which should reveal holes for the bolts to be threaded into. The roof rail struts are bolted down to the roof - not from the inside out at suggested.
I take delivery of my car tomorrow and hope to have time to fit the roof rails when I get back from work. I will let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the rails can be fitted from the outside great news. Why are the dealers making it out to be such an (£200 fitting)ordeal theni wonder!! Good Luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I had mine fitted the work sheet and invoice clearly itemised the dropping and refitting of the roof liner...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi KugaBabe,

How confident is hubby that these can be fitted without dropping the headlining? I am hoping that the instructions I have are for fitting them from new and not as a replacemement part!

Dom

·
Registered
268 Posts
dbillia said:
Hi KugaBabe,

How confident is hubby that these can be fitted without dropping the headlining? I am hoping that the instructions I have are for fitting them from new and not as a replacemement part!

Dom

Very confident Dom ! Hub says he won't even have to go inside the car..... Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

Now why would Dealers load the fitting charge I wonder
Aww Bless em

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked up my Kuga today and took 20 mins to fit one roof rail and five to fit the other (once I knew what I was doing).

As for your dealer charging you for removing the headlining - I can only assume that as most other Fords require the headlining to be removed, they have done exactly that. What they would have discovered is that the bolts secure the roofrack from above the roof and not below - as clearly displayed in the instruction booklet that comes with the rails.
Removing the headlining would have served me no purpose whatsoever and it looks like the dealer has charged you for their mistake. In defence of the dealers,the car is quite new to market so experience of fitting these rails is scarce.

That said, I managed to do it myself and I cannot even spell Brentwood correctly on my profile!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. So glad I didn't get them fitted by the dealer now, i'd be livid. By the way how much did you pay for the rails themselves? Is it a special kit which includes the fixings?

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Vorbis,

I work at For Financial so got mine at a discount

The box has everything you need (rails x2, bolts x8, rubber strips x2, plastic face plates x4, plastic rail endings x4).

Just one thing to mention - the instructions have a measurement of 10mm from the bolt hole foraffixing the rubber strip,ignore this and line it up with the rail in place(without removing the backing tape), as the measurement is out!

Good luck,

Dom.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Having paid my deposit for the car including roofrails, the dealership have told me they have no idea when they will actually get any to put on the car and that i will either have to wait or have without. Going to find out how much a local dealer will charge.
mikew

1 - 20 of 297 Posts