Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just thought you may like to look at my latest mods. Not quite finished as the number plate and footwell bulbs arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It looks good, where did you get the side lights from and what type are they, as I have made one attempt at changing them for white led's, but the bulbs I got of were 11mm wide and didn't fit as a bit too big. Was a bit scary pulling off the plate below the lights without breaking it or chipping the paint work
. The manual also doesn't mention that when you pull the rubber hose off that water is going to squirt over every thing

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Essex Boy i use a company called ultraleds and they are great. In the automotive section i have used the chart in the manual to find direct replacements for the interior, approach and number plate lights all in xenon or brilliant white. Don't go for the cool white as this gives a blue tinge. One tip is if you intend to change all bulbs then order them at the same time as you get a discount with these guys for the more you order. The ones i have in the sidelights actually are ceramic to cope with any heat problerms from the Xenons next door to it and have 9 led's on the one unit. I used similar on my ST3 and they are super cool at night.
Now about the fitting, i did not need to remove my headlights, mainly because i did not read the manual (bloke thing) and just removed the top screw and got a pair of thi nosed pliers to reach in and twist the bulb holder....Easy and took about 5 mins per side. I have smallish hands and it was a cold day which i,m sure helped. Hope this helps.

PS the replacement i have in the main front courtesy light looks amazing with a dark car colour at night.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tried to change at first without reading the manual. But having big hands andI got no where fast
Thanks for the info
Edited by: Essex_boy

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi Jase1. I just replaced my sidelamps with LED's from e-Bay. They are too blue and so I will try and get some like you used. The ones I got are marked Auto Bulbs and part number B;08W2001W08KS, so I don't recommend these if you are looking to match the HID lamp colour.
TIPS: The sidelamps can be fitted without completely removing the headlamp unit. I found that I did need to loosen it though to get my hands in behind the lamp unit.
The trim panel under the lamps does not need a tool. If you feel under the top edge in about the centre, you will find a hole in the plastic. Grab this and tug and the trim will start to come away, just need to take a bit of care unclipping the inboard side, so no hassle at all really.
Then the big star screw on top comes out and then two locating clips need to be released under the lamp unit (one is quite well back on the outboard side of the lamp) and the unit is now floating. Remove the rubber stopper behind the side lamp area and feel inside for the tab on the rear of the bulb holder. TIP: look through the top of the lamp unit to see what you are doing! Replace the bulb with the LED, check the lamp is working (if not swap it round in the holder) and then reverse the removal process, taking care to fully clip the trim panel on the inboard side first. 10 mins to do both sides, job done.
Edited by: quatroxquatro

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Jase1

Looks great, I note you got the types from the manual but do you have the p/n's that you ordered from ultraleds please as want to do mine little beauty now!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi, I got a new set of 501 replacement LEDS from www.ultraleds.co.ukas recommended here by Jase1 and they are much, muchbetter than the ones I first tried. Igot the 9 LED version, but now see that there is a 15 LED version available on the web site, whichshould be great for 'daylight' running, closer to something like those seen on the newer Audis.
The bluer LEDs have found a home though, in the door mirror 'puddle lights' position. I have theAvalon colour, and the blue tint looks great with that!

Edited by: quatroxquatro

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeah.... ummm... its sorta okay????
rather than squeezin it in under light unit... i thought it maybe would go where the fake grille is!
do you have a wider angle photo?

How does the colour balance of the new lights work with the HID units?

1 - 20 of 281 Posts