Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

Had my aircon re gassed yesterday however it is still not cold - It had previously worked intermittently so i assumed that it needed regassing.
Upon further inspection it appears the compressor is not starting up, I have checked fuse 29, 27 and 10 and they are all fine.

Is there anything else I should be looking out for?
Is it a case of buying a new part?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Does your air-conditioning actually show its on and does your cruise control work?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Afternoon all,

Had my aircon re gassed yesterday however it is still not cold - It had previously worked intermittently so i assumed that it needed regassing.
Upon further inspection it appears the compressor is not starting up, I have checked fuse 29, 27 and 10 and they are all fine.

Is there anything else I should be looking out for?
Is it a case of buying a new part?

Thanks guys
When you press the button to turn on the AC, can you hear a clunk or clicking noise? If not, then the AC clutch might be knackered.

You said that you checked the fuses; have you checked the relay?

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you press the button to turn on the AC, can you hear a clunk or clicking noise? If not, then the AC clutch might be knackered.

You said that you checked the fuses; have you checked the relay?

Cheers
Good Evening,

No clunking noise at all.
I believe the relay was also checked (if that is a box type thing next to fuses)

Really want to get it sorted, does anyone have a compressor for sale at a decent price ??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good Evening,

No clunking noise at all.
I believe the relay was also checked (if that is a box type thing next to fuses)

Really want to get it sorted, does anyone have a compressor for sale at a decent price ??
If the relay was checked and working properly, and you are not hearing any clunk then i would say that its the compressor clutch.

For a cheap part it might be worth checking scrap yards or ebay. Aftermarket will set you back £300+ (for mk1) from autodoc. Europarts is £600+

On the plus side....it's almost winter, AC wont be a priority =P

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Why not save money in the long run and take it to someone who can diagnose what the problem is.
Just randomly asking questions to people on the internet and acting on their diagnosis is a good way to burn lots of money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why not save money in the long run and take it to someone who can diagnose what the problem is.
Just randomly asking questions to people on the internet and acting on their diagnosis is a good way to burn lots of money.
Collective intelligence/collaboration can be a very useful and powerful thing. Also cheap in this case. Given the nature of what is faulty, there are a limited number of things it can be, and OP has already started working through the list of them.

Also, I see that you are quick to give out advice and diagnostics across the forum. So kindly keep your hypocrisy and negativity to yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you can see from my post I was asking for general advice, I'm not about to spend upwards of £600 on a near 10 year old car with 170k on clock.

If I can source a remedy then I would give it a go as this car, while high mileage, is far far too good to not try and look after as much as possible.

I do appreciate that if I am to try every little thing that people may mention then costs can certainly mount up, but with a little guidance and people's past experience, I am hoping to minimise that outcome.

??

·
Registered
1 Posts
A leaky evaporator is a common cause but is not the only suspect. Last year in our southern summer I had all the above symptoms. A colorant test found a leak in the condenser. New condenser and refrigerant solved the problem. The Darth Vader noise is simply the system under pressure gasping to find enough refrigerant. No point just adding more refrig, need to find where it's leaking from or the problem will return. Oh, and the Jeep OEM condensers have a reputation of being short lived, wish now I'd had an after market one fitted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts