Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

AEB braking system fault

10K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Ross J 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced any issues with the automatic braking system? My new Kuga automatically applied the brakes when I was travelling on the A1, my car grounded to a stop in 3 seconds, causing a car to collide into the back of us. My 3 children were in the back. It was a horrific experience and we are lucky to be alive.

#29 ·
No mention of compensation for the stress and inconvenience caused by the accident due to the seriousness of where it happened.

#31 ·
Really poor of Ford, suppose they know they have a problem with the car but not willing to publicly admit it. As others above have said they just want to sweep it under the carpet and case closed. Wonder if they get the car they fully investigate it or just crush and forget.

#34 ·
Having just commented on a potential problem with AEB, i decided to consult and read the handbook on it.From what i can glean what happened to me was more of a sensitivity issue rather than a fault. the handbook says the system is designed to provide three levels of functionality.
1. Alert - when active, a flashing visual warning appears and an audible warning tone sounds.
2. Brake support - the system is designed to help reduce the impact speed by preparing the brakes for rapid braking.
3. Active braking - active braking may activate if the system determines that a collision is imminent.
Note - if you perceive pre-collision assist alerts are being too frequent or disturbing, then you can reduce the alert sensitivity. Though the manufacturer recommends using the highest sensitivity setting where possible. Setting lower sensitivity would lead to fewer and later system warnings.
Having read all of that i believe i experienced no.1 Alert when it twice activated rather than a fault, because on both occasions an oncoming car came close to my drivers front end. Still scares the crap out of you when the alert goes off. My experience does not mean that there is potentially not a problem with other owners like Dancia.

Reactions: smartguy69
#35 ·
Wow - that must have been scary, especially as it was out of your control.

Keep us all informed as to what happens (y)

#37 ·
I have a new Mk3 Kuga and have now had pre-collision assist warnings (red graphic on dash and audio alert). The brakes did not apply any of those times but it scared the absolute **** out of me. I’m terrified one day the brakes may auto apply and cause a collision like the OP.

In all occurrences I was just driving along at 30mph, but a common theme is it’s been in either bright sunshine or rain.

I’m going to reduce the sensitivity and see if that makes a difference. Hopefully it’s not a fault with the camera system.

Interested to know if any other new Kuga owners have experienced this as deliveries start trickling through.

#38 ·
@Dancia any news about your kuga,,been 6 months now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.