Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced any issues with the automatic braking system? My new Kuga automatically applied the brakes when I was travelling on the A1, my car grounded to a stop in 3 seconds, causing a car to collide into the back of us. My 3 children were in the back. It was a horrific experience and we are lucky to be alive.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Take it to the dealer straight away and put down in writing what happened.

(That's why I hate those automated "safety" features. No doubt you're now in for a hard time with insurance companies trying to prove the vehicle did it and you didn't!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes exactly, I have my dash cam to support what happened but it’s going to be a tough long process.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your accident. It must have been terrifying and hope that you and your children are ok. Welcome to our forum.

Does anyone know how this "safety" feature operates. If it is from the sensors in the front bumper then perhaps the system is flawed as just a small rain droplet is enough to set my rear sensors off and what happens in the event of flying leaves, bags etc or even small tree branches. If it works from a front camera then the same theory applies.

I would be sending this issue to BBC's watchdog as you may not be the first or last to have encountered this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the most terrifying moment of my life. I have replayed the dashcam footage again and again and I cannot see anything that the sensors should have picked up. There was no warning either.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You need to inform the supplying dealer. This is a serious fault resulting in what could have been extremely serious, not to mention the drier behind could have thought it was deliberate but then nobody takes risks with their children.

Perhaps if you are a member of the AA or RAC get them to have a look at the car first before it goes back to the dealers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I’m back and forward calling ford at the moment. The car has been taken to a garage to be repaired..: the car that hit us, said the brake lights didn’t even come on. As I said we went from 59mph to 0 in 3 seconds according to my dashcam and I he car hit us 2 seconds later

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, it’s manual, the car would have driven afterwards, but no way was I prepared to drive it again

·
Registered
391 Posts
Pre-Collision Assist is only supposed to operate at 50mph and below. EDIT: EBA can operate whenever it detects you (or PCA/AEB) are trying to stop very quickly. The brake lights should come on. I'm pretty sure you would also get audible and visual alerts if PCA kicked in. So it doesn't sound like it was the automated feature "thinking" it saw something. A really serious fault, and the consequences could have been so much worse. So glad you are all OK. You can report it to the DVSA here: Vehicle recalls and faults

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, that’s very helpful... I have no idea what the fault was. The car applied it’s brakes but I have no idea why

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My daughter has a pre collision assist on her Astra. It has come in useful for her a couple of times as she drives too close. It does have an audible warning sound as well.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Surely it will have logged a crash event and that can be downloaded with the diagnostics.

Whether Ford will disclose the data is another matter.

The evidence of no brake lights is key really, proves you haven't applied the brakes.

I wouldn't want to drive it again even if repaired (or any with the same system).

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
A brand new car with a major fault and a witness too who can confirm the car stopped without brake lights. Evidently on the VW it doesn't log the collision control data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unfortunately, I have no evidence that the brake lights didn’t come on, other than the witness behind. I did get a forward collision warning once on the vehicle, a few weeks before, but only once. I certainly think I am going to have a battle on my hands with Ford. But seriously who is going to park their car on the A1 purposely with their whole family in the car. My dash cam has clearly recorded that nothing cut us up, we wasn’t about to collide, there is no explanation, and I just want answers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another way to look at it is that the driver behind hit you. Their insurance should be the ones trying to put the blame on this feature. As a general rule if you drive into the back of someone it is usually your fault unless you can prove otherwise. Did the other driver have dashcam footage to confirm that there were no brake lights. Pity they didn't also have a new Kuga.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am quite interested to know how the system works. Assume it is by some form or radar. So if that's true what would happen if something where to jam the system. There are still people out there who use very illegal speed camera detectors, the ones that jam the signal of mobile and other speed cameras. Just a thought but my next door neighbour had one and it also worked his electric gates or so he told me. I still have to open mine by hand lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts