Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
776 Posts
Any LED fitted to a Halogen fitment headlight is an MOT fail regardless of good beam pattern or not.
These bulbs aren’t LED, they are HID replacement bulbs in standard HID headlights. Replacing almost like for like, only a slight change in colour. 4500k to 6000k

Reactions: keithmac

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Ok, so if I wanted to upgrade my standard halogen bulbs for some brighter ones and want to make sure my car passes an MOT, does that mean I am stuck with standard bulbs which I think are 55watt.

My 18v Ryobi spotlight gives a better and brighter beam than the ones on the car.

·
776 Posts
Yes, unfortunately.
You could try those Philips or Osram ones but I’ve never rated them myself. I don’t find them any brighter or whiter. Not like they claim anyway.

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
874 Posts
They tend blow really quickly too - I tried several ones from Osram and Philips, on my last Kuga and they were better, but just popped after a few months :confused:

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Yes, unfortunately.
You could try those Philips or Osram ones but I’ve never rated them myself. I don’t find them any brighter or whiter. Not like they claim anyway.
Cheers, I don't think i will waste my money and don't really want to use the illegal ones.

·
776 Posts
There's new rules coming in about HID & LED on 1st Feb. Basically, it's an instant fail if you fit either to a headlight that's designed to use halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2 2014 Titanium X Sport 4x4 2.0TDCI 180PS Manual Sync1
203 Posts
I feel like someone slaped my face. Sadly this modification to LED cause insurance fail and in case of accident big troubble "car wasn't in road worth condition"

PS: Have to start seaching "best halogen bulbs" 😜

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I feel like someone slaped my face. Sadly this modification to LED cause insurance fail and in case of accident big troubble "car wasn't in road worth condition"

PS: Have to start seaching "best halogen bulbs" 😜
But there is nothing to stop you fitting some after market spotlights. Some owners have retro fitted some in the grill which look nice.

·
776 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah!! Bull bars and LED bar. Wild west 😉
Anyway decent spotlight will cost few hundred £££ and look's like @andspenka said S......

Reactions: andspenka

·
2,999 Posts
There's new rules coming in about HID & LED on 1st Feb. Basically, it's an instant fail if you fit either to a headlight that's designed to use halogen bulbs. View attachment 5463
That's going to upset a few people in the other thread who have change their headlight bulbs from halogen to LED and previously passed MOT.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Mine's fine with LEDs fitted, we don't have an MOT test in South Australia.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
988 Posts
Aftermarket halogen bulbs from known manufacturers clearly state whether they are road-legal or not. They will also clearly indicate their performance and longevity compared to standard (cheap) halogen. For example, Philips' Clears and Whites (both up to 4300K, so defintely "whiter" than standard halogens which are 3400K) are road-legal, about 20% brighter (lumens) and about 1/3 of lifespan, compared to standard bulbs, while Diamonds (5000K) are not road-legal

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
How about some strip lights instead?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
@DogDeluxe - you have too much time on your hands lol. I will see if I can find some of those retro spotlights.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Welcome to the year 1989

The spots might have a chrome finish on them too :D

Phwoar...

·
Registered
203 Posts
@DogDeluxe It's 2in1, you get lights and snow plough. Bargain!

·
Registered
874 Posts
121 - 140 of 163 Posts