Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all would like some advice on upgrading the lights on my Kuga. Just bought Ford KUGA 2.0 TDCi 180 Titanium Powershift AWD(2016). The lights don't seem all that bright so would like to upgrade the bulbs but no idea what to buy. I like the "white light" bulbs. Must be legal for mot. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,188 Posts
Although I have Xenons on my Kuga I used Phillips X-treme Vision on my last two cars.

Much brighter and both lasted the duration of my ownership (some 'high power' bulbs are only rated for 600 hours!).

·
3,000 Posts
The GE MegaLight Ultra +130 seem to get good reviews. I recently put them in my cornering lights but didn't take any before/ after pictures.

In the past I've used Osram Nightbreakers (original version) and they were a decent improvement, I preferred them over the Philips Xtreme visions (which I bought at the same time to compare.)The Nightbreakers were a whiter colour too. They were both H4's and to get the full advantage I had to re-aim the lights. The high beam patterns on both of them were a lot tighter/ smaller, so precise aiming was required to get the gains in distance.

PS: I've found Powerbulbs a good place to buy bulbs from.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Let us know how you get on if you try them.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I wouldn't expect too much Daz, the specification doesn't ring true or should I say isn't presented correctly. 4000 lumens is a 40W LED, maybe the combined rated power of each individual LED for the LH and RH headlights all added together it may be, but the heatsink on the rear is probably rated at less than 10W and more likely half that. Plus the fact the LEDs wont be in the correct position for the all round focal point of the headlight reflector. So probably about 600lumen as opposed to 1300 for the filament lamp. White yes and useful if it projects in the right direction.

I found what appears to be an ideal device that uses twin cones in an effort to provide an all-round light position to imitate the filament position of a lamp. Unfortunately the company which is in Bradford is a residential address and is not replying to enquiries, and their Facebook account has posts from august 2018 till present from customers who have ordered and paid and received no goods.

I used ABD (AutoBulbsDirect) for some foglight replacements following the Kuga manual incorrect specification and ordered a pair of H11 devices only to learn that the Kuga has H10. The H11 device has a single cone and when fitted to a Mondeo MK4 headlight (uses an H11) it has a reasonable beam pattern but not quite bright enough even though it is a nice white (without being too cool temperature not style :) ), not as good as my custom made device using one single LED. Unfortunately ABD doesn't have the twin cone and don't have H10 devices anyway. I use the foglights as additional driving lamps linked to the main beam so it would have been nice to get a whiter light.

Its really trial and error to get a lamp to suit the light fitting it is to operate in and I'm trying not to find myself working on custom made devices again.

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
The OEM H7 headlight bulbs were on the last legs, and since I had 2 x H7's in stock, (Hella box standard) put them in.

Dipped headlights are not great must admit. (Series 2 Landrovers, well snack on carrots whilst driving might help)

Kuga not far behind.

So I thought I can only try them. Like I said can be donated to Fiesta, or even my mates S type.

I'll take a picture of beam pattern before and after and report in. Due later this week.

Since the H7s have a lug on them so are located, I am to see if the 2 x LED emitters (Is that the right word Phil) do project and reflect well via the Kuga Headlight reflector.

We can only see.....

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Its worth a punt to try them. Isn't the locating tang on the lamp positioned south/down in a fitting, which suggest the LED devices will face to the side. I am assuming that there are 2 LEDs one on each side of the the device (from the 2nd reviewer's comments so will be interesting in the beam pattern).

Oh the main beam lights are chronic on my Kuga. If I turn headlights off and put the main beams on with the stalk, they look more like infill to the front of the Kuga than main beam and main beam is the Xenon's with the gate up. I have an Olight 800lm LED torch in the car that lights up the road better than the main beams and I'm convinced people can see that I am flashing them much easier since I linked the foglights to the main beams. Now fitting LED replacements to the main beam no matter what beam pattern it has will be a big improvement. MOT is the possibly the problem.

·
Registered
743 Posts
H15 bulbs for the main beam? (Without running downstairs for the handbook)

H15's tend to be a lot more to buy, both the 'normal' bulbs and the LED types.

Economy of scale & production, H7's are in lots of cars.

My Peugeot partner van had great headlight power, and all from a H4 bulb,

The race has been on for a while, for a aftermarket LED replacement from Halogen bulbs,

Heat build up, and CANbus interference being the main stumbling blocks.

However a lot of cheap S**t about to say the least. Hoping Auto bulbs have done homework & testing.
(They did a presentation showing the poor quality available & how it ruins any beam) - try & find the link

One good thing, to change the bulbs in the kuga does not require headlight out, like the Fiestas.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Bulbs came today... see link on a previous post.

1st off the box said 'NOT ECE Approved. Off road use only' not a good start.

So the question what is 'illegal' about them? Brightness, beam projection or something else?
Anyone knows? Or just that the manufactures not chased for a piece of paper?

So the next stage - fitting.

They are, I must admit a quite well made thing, heavier than I expected.

The H7's have a locating Lug on the, and on the Kuga it points to the top, so only one way to fit.

Plug in and nothing happened, on the back of the blub it is marked for polarity (+ & -)
The way the ford plug WOULD be the wrong way round, and not enough wire to rotate.
So had to fish the female terminals out of the plug and replace the other way round.
(Dr Who used to say 'Reverse the polarity, and in this case it worked!)

It works, bright as a bright thing...

Next the rear cover Plastic with a sprung clip over, JUST fits over the top.

Next wait for darkness... strum fingers for a hour or two...……

See pictures. Did the NS first.

The question is does the beam pattern pass the MoT?

Other than that pleased with them,

What does the Kuga team think...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Well wouldn't like to argue that it wasn't illegal other than it wont have an E mark, but they look good. Now something like that you should be able to go to have it checked for alignment and if it passes you should have a chit to say so.

·
Super Moderator
2,188 Posts
I an only suggest that you nip the car into the nearest MOT testing station and ask them to check the beam alignment (they probably will NOT pass).

The problem with LED replacements is that they need a dedicated reflector to meet alignment standards. This has never bothered the 'willy nilly' suppliers who simply include a 'we told you you couldn't use them' slip to absolve them of resposibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a bit confused, in the handbook it says high beam 9005LL dip H11LL
Online high H15 dip H7.
believe it or not all the cars I've had I've never had to buy a headlight bulb. Short of taking the headlight out how can I tell what is in the car.

·
3,000 Posts
1st off the box said 'NOT ECE Approved. Off road use only' not a good start.

So the question what is 'illegal' about them? Brightness, beam projection or something else?
Anyone knows? Or just that the manufactures not chased for a piece of paper?

There are a **** of a lot of tests that vehicle lights need to pass in order to meet ECE standards. The pattern, lumen spread within the pattern etc. are all tested with a standard halogen bulb fitted (in the case of your halogen headlights.)

The LED replacement bulb (as a light source) has two light emitters. They will never duplicate the original fit halogen bulb's even 360 degree light output, nor the exact position of the halogen bulbs filament within the headlight. This effects the headlight's beam pattern and the relative brightness of light spread throughout the pattern- so your lights will no longer conform to the ECE standard.

Looking at your picture the top of the beam isn't as sharply cut off (= glare for oncoming drivers) and you can see two bright spots within the pattern. My guess is the two bright spots are due to the two LED's used on the bulb. I've seen a lot worse patterns from LED replacement bulbs but I doubt you'd pass any half decent beam pattern test. (I've got no idea how they test headlights for the UK MOT.)

·
3,000 Posts
Hmmm....

First sentence should have read "There are a lot of tests that vehicle lights need to pass in order to meet ECE standards."

·
Registered
743 Posts
Totally agree with all the comments.

The beam pattern is not as bad as I expected. The Kuga headlight reflector is a square affair.

If I can catch my MoT station in between appointments I should be able to nip in for a check.

And will report in. Personally I think a No pass, but the Mot testers know more than me regarding that.

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If they can be aligned well enough to pass the MOT I will be looking to fit them to mine.

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Trouble is it will be obvious that the lamp is not a halogen or Xenon lamp, and that may be the killer that its no E marked, even if its aligned. It would be excellent if they could be aligned and accepted, there will be plenty of Kuga owners fancying fitting them. I see they now do an H1 version and I'm tempted for main beams.

A further more important problem is that no two model of headlight provides the same beam pattern. On my visit to Ring in Leeds they had over a hundred headlamps on a rack that they may test with after checking the lamp on what they called a 'standard headlamp rig'. No reason a manufacturer of the LED alternative cant do the self certification of their lamp with a particular headlamp, just the time to do it for thousands. Oh and Ring look at the projected beam pattern on the floor and against a screen and measure the light level in different zones where they have to meet a max level.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Not fit both bulbs in yet, not been driving in the dark either, so still legal in my book!!!

Any how, had a rummage in the box and came across a small allen key

The mounting/ locating plate can be rotated as per pictures.

Picture 1 is as I put the NS in - light shines left & right.

(If I rotated 180 degreed didn't have to fish the female terminals out of plug - Too excited perhaps!!)

Going to put the NS bulb in as per Pic2 and repeat the beam test.

My hunch is it will make beam pattern worse as light shining up & down. (Don't know if you don't try)

Also interestingly, it means that the bulb could be adjusted backwards into the headlight (by up to 5mm)

However in doing so the plastic cover will never fit on with modification behind headlight.

Will report back.

Attachments

·
3,000 Posts
Also interestingly, it means that the bulb could be adjusted backwards into the headlight (by up to 5mm)

How does the LED location compare to the halogen bulb's filament? If you can adjust it to match it may improve things? If the LEDs were horizontally aligned (instead of vertically) it might mimic a halogen bulb better.

I'd be interested to know what sort of LED's they're using too- do they state anywhere what they are?

1 - 20 of 163 Posts