Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to make an improvement to my Kuga that may be of interest to some of you....

I've got a usb connector panel,and a 12v cigarette lighter to 5v USB power coverter from maplins, and all I need to do is solder / crimp on to the existing 12v supply to one of the nearby cig sockets and hey presto, I'll have no wires popping out of the armrest box when using my ipod touch / iphone. Estimated cost is just over £10. It won't allow a connection to the stereo by USB but for my purposes, the 3.5mm audio jack is more than sufficient. I did think of just adding a cig socket extension, but then I wouldn't be able to hide the power converter.

The project also includes taking a video-out from the ipod into a small widescreen monitor that is attached to the back of one of the headrests. Then I can have hours and hours of video sent to my 5 year old's seat on my commandwhich will be perfect for my Scottish Highlands trip I'm planning at half term....

Has anyone got any tips or experience inremoving the armrest box easily.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Brave man. I hope this works out, and that you will give us a few tips & piccies of what you needed to do, and how the final result looked.

I have one of those 7 inch screen DVD players that hangs on the front headrest for those extra long trips. It quickly stows under the rear seat out of sight when not used.

Good luck with the projects!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like fun Wildyce!

Which head unit do you have? I have the Sony 6CD non-DAB unit. Can this take USB?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the same 6cd non-dab Sony as you, but I'm not intending to connect to that. The idea is that I can put my ipodin the arm-rest box, connect the audio fed via the aux 3.5mm socket, and then keep the ipod powered up through the usb socket in the same box with no wires showing.

The other thing I want to do is connect to a new 8.4" tv monitor (onspecial offer atmaplin)that isrobustlyheadrest mounted as well and then on long trips, I can change the video for my daughter at will, instead of the current system that requires a stop for a dvd change every 30mins to 2 hours. The ipod charges through a usb connection you see. Alternatively, I could just add another cigarette lighter socket in the box, and plug the voltage converter in there instead.

I've taken the box apart, there's not as much room behind it as there was in my last ford.... a 1977 cortina!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice idea... If you're going to those lengths tho, it may be better to connect the IPod to the Sony via USB if this is available? Or is IPod control via USB only available on the top sat nav unit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts