Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people have done this mod on the USA Escape forums - basically you graft on a set of shift paddles (AMG are popular) add some wiring and you've got steering wheel paddle shifters to complement the (stupid) shifter mounted +/- switch. This is with the 6F35 torque convertor auto, but if the PowerShift DCT has the same set up it should also be applicable.

I'll just post some pictures for the moment of mine. I used shifters from a Range Rover Evoque and they have back lighting and are substantially cheaper than the popular AMG shifters. One other bonus is the Evoque paddles clear the stalks when they're pulled back- the AMG's apparently hit and will change a gear!smile_big:
The down side with the Evoque shifters is they require a couple of mods to work. The Kuga requires a switched earth to signal a change is desired, but the Evoque shifters switch resistance. So a resistor needs to be short circuited. I also got a bit OCD and modded the operation of the back lighting LED so it had it's own seperate earth. I didn't want to risk the (albeit small) extra current flow back into the auto trans controller causing problems.

The extra wiring is required on the steering wheel "clock spring" to utilise vacant contact postions for the paddle signal. The contacts required are listed below:

TE Connectivity GET .64 series connector
Suitable Contacts:
1393367-1 for 24-22AWG
1393366-1 for 19-18AWG
RS Components here https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7560843/ and https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7187145/

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Looks very impressive David. Do they work just the same as the +/- switch on the shifter, so only in sport mode.
I understand the MY17 Escapes will also shift manually in D.
Now you've done all the mods, you might want to put some mileage on the Kuga.

·
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks very impressive David. Do they work just the same as the +/- switch on the shifter, so only in sport mode.

It's exactly the same in operation as using the +/ - switch on the shifter- so it does only work in "S". (I've also heard the newer models work in "D". Most likely it's just a software setting change between the two?)

·
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have found how to "update" and get the shifters working in D. There's an option in FoCCCus for "Shifter Type"- the options being :

00 - Not Configured

01 - Less manual shifter auto trans

02 - Select Shift Tech (SST) Thumb Switch

03 - SLCT SHF TECH (SST) SPORT W/THM SWTC W/LandD

Mine is currently set at option 02. I assume the abbreviated line 03 is supposed to say "Select Shift Tech Sport With Thumb Switch With L??? and Drive". Could it enable the shifting in Drive?

I also discovered software settings for Suspension "Standard" or "Sport" (mine's "Standard") and "Steering Gears C Factor" (Correction Factor?) with "Standard" and "ST" options. Mine is "Standard" again. I'm not sure if the Suspension has some sort of effect on the ESP? The Steering bit interests me as the ST Line Kuga is supposed to have something upgraded in the electronic steering system... could it just be that software change? Edit: perhaps not given FoCCCus is written for the Focus, not Kuga. So it might be what differentiates a Focus ST from the standard Focus?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Mine is currently set at option 02. I assume the abbreviated line 03 is supposed to say "Select Shift Tech Sport With Thumb Switch With L??? and Drive". Could it enable the shifting in Drive?

I also discovered software settings for Suspension "Standard" or "Sport" (mine's "Standard") and "Steering Gears C Factor" (Correction Factor?) with "Standard" and "ST" options. Mine is "Standard" again. I'm not sure if the Suspension has some sort of effect on the ESP? The Steering bit interests me as the ST Line Kuga is supposed to have something upgraded in the electronic steering system... could it just be that software change? Edit: perhaps not given FoCCCus is written for the Focus, not Kuga. So it might be what differentiates a Focus ST from the standard Focus?
David, why not try it and see if it's the difference.
You can always change it back if it doesn't react as expected on all the options.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,718 Posts
Did you have to run wires from the other side of the clockspring to the gear shifter?.

Looks a nice mod!.

·
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David, why not try it and see if it's the difference.
You can always change it back if it doesn't react as expected on all the options.

Thinking more about it, FoCCCus is (AFAIK) primarily written for the Focus. The Select Shift bit might work, but the "ST" Steering part is probably related to the Focus ST having a switch to vary the steering assistance (at least I think they have one?) That could be a cool addition.

I did enable an over ride option for the Sync system to stop it blocking certain GPS options while in motion. That is annoying when you've got a front passenger who can't enter details either. I haven't tested it out yet.

Did you have to run wires from the other side of the clockspring to the gear shifter?.

Looks a nice mod!.

Yes, from the other side down to the Select Shift thumb switch. I left the thumb switch connected, so the paddles and thumb switch can both be used.

·
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Search on Ebay for Range Rover Evoque paddle shifters and you should find the same version I purchased. (Mine came from the UK.) There are plastic and metal versions- the metal version doesn't have the backlit + and -.

The required crimp terminals I listed in the first post, you will need a crimping tool to crimp them to the extra wires. The genuine tool is mega expensive, I bought a cheap non insulated terminal crimping tool that was suited to the AWG of the terminals. It wasn't quite right, but did the job.

There's obviously a bit is disassembly involved. The hardest bit is releasing the airbag. It's released using a screwdriver to push a spring loaded metal rod sideways on each side of the rear of the steering wheel. I pulled the SRS/ airbag fuse and horn fuse before doing it. I had to do it with the battery connected as you need to turn the steering wheel to access the release rods (I've got the proximity fob with keyless start.)

The previous link to the US Ford Escape forum has a lot of info. It's virtually the same except the Escape appears to have a dual stage airbag system with two electrical connections to the airbag, the Kuga only has one. That means there are two extra empty terminal spaces on the clock spring plugs. Adding heating would be nice...

Downsides to the mod- the later models with the factory paddle shifters have different cruise control buttons for "Cancel/ Resume". On my steering wheel it's a paddle type switch- so you need to be careful you're activating the correct paddle on that side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Search on Ebay for Range Rover Evoque paddle shifters and you should find the same version I purchased. (Mine came from the UK.) There are plastic and metal versions- the metal version doesn't have the backlit + and -.

The required crimp terminals I listed in the first post, you will need a crimping tool to crimp them to the extra wires. The genuine tool is mega expensive, I bought a cheap non insulated terminal crimping tool that was suited to the AWG of the terminals. It wasn't quite right, but did the job.

There's obviously a bit is disassembly involved. The hardest bit is releasing the airbag. It's released using a screwdriver to push a spring loaded metal rod sideways on each side of the rear of the steering wheel. I pulled the SRS/ airbag fuse and horn fuse before doing it. I had to do it with the battery connected as you need to turn the steering wheel to access the release rods (I've got the proximity fob with keyless start.)

The previous link to the US Ford Escape forum has a lot of info. It's virtually the same except the Escape appears to have a dual stage airbag system with two electrical connections to the airbag, the Kuga only has one. That means there are two extra empty terminal spaces on the clock spring plugs. Adding heating would be nice...

Downsides to the mod- the later models with the factory paddle shifters have different cruise control buttons for "Cancel/ Resume". On my steering wheel it's a paddle type switch- so you need to be careful you're activating the correct paddle on that side.
Fantastic. Thanks for that.

I’ll check out eBay and see what’s available.

2 Posts
A few people have done this mod on the USA Escape forums - basically you graft on a set of shift paddles (AMG are popular) add some wiring and you've got steering wheel paddle shifters to complement the (stupid) shifter mounted +/- switch. This is with the 6F35 torque convertor auto, but if the PowerShift DCT has the same set up it should also be applicable.

I'll just post some pictures for the moment of mine. I used shifters from a Range Rover Evoque and they have back lighting and are substantially cheaper than the popular AMG shifters. One other bonus is the Evoque paddles clear the stalks when they're pulled back- the AMG's apparently hit and will change a gear!smile_big:
The down side with the Evoque shifters is they require a couple of mods to work. The Kuga requires a switched earth to signal a change is desired, but the Evoque shifters switch resistance. So a resistor needs to be short circuited. I also got a bit OCD and modded the operation of the back lighting LED so it had it's own seperate earth. I didn't want to risk the (albeit small) extra current flow back into the auto trans controller causing problems.

The extra wiring is required on the steering wheel "clock spring" to utilise vacant contact postions for the paddle signal. The contacts required are listed below:

TE Connectivity GET .64 series connector
Suitable Contacts:
1393367-1 for 24-22AWG
1393366-1 for 19-18AWG
RS Components here https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7560843/ and TE Connectivity, GET .64 Female Crimp Terminal Contact 18AWG 1393366-1 | RS Components

Hi - cool mod!
I would like to do the reverse method!
I have pedal shifter but do not have the +/- rocker button on the gear knob. If i get the buttons needed to go on the knob and retro fit them, i would like to know what wires should i run to the steering wheel.
Cheers!
Adrian

·
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have pedal shifter but do not have the +/- rocker button on the gear knob. If i get the buttons needed to go on the knob and retro fit them, i would like to know what wires should i run to the steering wheel.
You may need to try and trace them using a multimeter (with the battery disconnected due to the air bag being in the same looms) from the steering wheel end. It was easy for me wiring from the oppostie direction as the shifter wires were easy to identify. I used spare spaces in the "clock spring" connectors to run the wires. I didn't wire it to conform with the later model and don't have access to the diagrams for one.

You could try posting your question on the Russian Kuga forums. There are some very knowledgeable people on there who helped me out with installing the UK spec alarm. They created a section on their forum for English questions IIRC. I don't have a link to the forum on me, but will try to find it.

2 Posts
You may need to try and trace them using a multimeter (with the battery disconnected due to the air bag being in the same looms) from the steering wheel end. It was easy for me wiring from the oppostie direction as the shifter wires were easy to identify. I used spare spaces in the "clock spring" connectors to run the wires. I didn't wire it to conform with the later model and don't have access to the diagrams for one.

You could try posting your question on the Russian Kuga forums. There are some very knowledgeable people on there who helped me out with installing the UK spec alarm. They created a section on their forum for English questions IIRC. I don't have a link to the forum on me, but will try to find it.
Thank mate - i'll look for it myself dont worry.

Very helpful- Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts