Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0Tdci 178bhp
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled up to fill with fuel. When I drove off, the ABS and skid control lights came on. Car drove ok, but obviously without traction control. Tested with forscan, and rear left wheel speed sensor is gone. Ordered a new one but not arrived yet.

Next day, reversed out of the drive and it felt like there was resistance to movement, but then drove ok. Next day, same again, but this time, when I drove forward, there was an almighty clunk. Car drove ok after that. Getting worse each time I reverse after the handbrake has been on then drive forward.

Sensor arrived today, but not fitted yet. Same again when reversing then almighty clunk. This time, a message came up saying AWD overheated temp disabled. I had no rear wheel drive until I had driven for 5 minutes, switched off then restarted the car.

Does anyone have any ideas before I replace the sensor? I don’t want to fit it and it turn out to be something else that is damaging the sensor.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Have a look under the car at the rear left speed sensor, if there is damage to the end of the sensor, try and trace if any part is coming into contact with the sensor.
Jack this left wheel up and try spinning the wheel and see if it will go all the way round, in both directions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ozekuga, I will give that a try. If I don’t apply the handbrake after the initial clunk, it reverses fine. Wast sure if it was something to do either the handbrake not releasing properly to start with. I have read posts about shoes catching in reverse, but I’m pretty sure mine doesn’t have shoes, and the handbrake is part of the disc and pad mechanism. I’ll have a look at the weekend.

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,506 Posts
I'd replace the sensor, clear any faults and then see how it goes from there. The ABS sensors would play a critical role in activating the AWD, so one malfunctioning could cause those issues.

PS: Make sure you've go the correct ABS sensor. There are two types - a bidirectional sensor is used on vehicles with the "auto parking" feature. Someone posted in the past where they received the wrong type.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave the Ford dealer the reg so hopefully it should be the right one. Definitely a problem with the handbrake. Parked on the petrol station forecourt to get my morning coffee, came back out and it had rolled into the middle of the main road 🙈.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Changed the sensor and all is good again. No clunking, no overheating of the AWD, and the acceleration is much better. Happy man. Adjusted the handbrake up while I was at it 🤣. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
2015 MK2 2.0 TDCI 180BHP AWD
106 Posts
Hi mate is it possible to change these without removing the wheels and how much was the part from ford. How can you get forscan? Almost put foreskin lol cheers thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi mate is it possible to change these without removing the wheels and how much was the part from ford. How can you get forscan? Almost put foreskin lol cheers thanks
Here are the part numbers you'll need....(pick whichever suits your car). They (ford) uses the same part on LOTS of models so a replacement is widely available.
The cost form your local online auction site is about £20

Removing a wheel??? thats a very small price to pay for clear access.. just do it.
Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Software

·
Registered
604 Posts
no bother.

Fitting the new sensor is an easy bolt in / bolt out job.. probably a 10mm socket. From the part photos above, it looks like there's a small sealing 'O' ring that's part of the sensor (Part HR-1). If the new speed sensor doesn't come with this, make sure you save it from your old sensor when you take it off.

Lying beneath a car to change this will make it tougher, but not impossible...
Let us know how you get on!

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,706 Posts
Thank you so much mate I just don't have a jack and stands but maybe try borrow some. Thanks agai
I f you lived in my home city I would give you a jack and stands as I seem to have a bit of a collection.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,820 Posts
I used the Ford emergency jack WITH and Axle stand as well, the 2 ton jack was buried in the shed.

It's a Torx fastener, T25. It's also threadlocked in so go carefully..

My sensor was seized in solid, came out in 2 parts.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,820 Posts
Yep, bolt glue sums it up perfectly!.

It would be a nightmare if you snapp3d the securing bolt head off..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pulled up to fill with fuel. When I drove off, the ABS and skid control lights came on. Car drove ok, but obviously without traction control. Tested with forscan, and rear left wheel speed sensor is gone. Ordered a new one but not arrived yet.

Next day, reversed out of the drive and it felt like there was resistance to movement, but then drove ok. Next day, same again, but this time, when I drove forward, there was an almighty clunk. Car drove ok after that. Getting worse each time I reverse after the handbrake has been on then drive forward.

Sensor arrived today, but not fitted yet. Same again when reversing then almighty clunk. This time, a message came up saying AWD overheated temp disabled. I had no rear wheel drive until I had driven for 5 minutes, switched off then restarted the car.

Does anyone have any ideas before I replace the sensor? I don’t want to fit it and it turn out to be something else that is damaging the sensor.
Thanks in advance.
I had a similar problem last summer which would clear and then repeat anywhere between 1 week and 4 weeks. In the end I purchase both wheel sensors and both sensor leads (not really exspensive for all 4) and asked my local garage to fit them and touch wood no problems since

1 - 16 of 16 Posts