Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some long consideration on bigger alloys, I’m trying to find out whether there are any all terrain tyre options for the kuga?
Has anyone got something like this on theirs?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
637 Posts
You're kidding right.
The Kuga is not a 4x4 if you have AWD then it's predominantly a FWD, and normally provides power to the rear axle during take off. It will provide assistance on wet grass or loose surface but it will never be an off roader. Buy a Jeep if you want that.
There is loads of information on here regarding tyres so do a search first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're kidding right.
The Kuga is not a 4x4 if you have AWD then it's predominantly a FWD, and normally provides power to the rear axle during take off. It will provide assistance on wet grass or loose surface but it will never be an off roader. Buy a Jeep if you want that.
There is loads of information on here regarding tyres so do a search first.
Nope, not kidding. Genuine question see as I see these on Ford Transits, and other non-4WD vehicles. Thanks for the unhelpful, patronizing response though. 👌🏻

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,704 Posts
Never seen a kuga fitted with anything like that, imagine normal road noise would be horrendous, any particular reason you’re considering them

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never seen a kuga fitted with anything like that, imagine normal road noise would be horrendous, any particular reason you’re considering them
I actually just like the look of them to be honest!
There are a couple of pics on google and they look pretty beefy. Must be possible? They are on Rangers all the time and they do motorway miles? They don’t all drive around farms!

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,423 Posts
@TanMans - I think you just took some of our members who have read your post by surprise with the 4x4 I the title. Most of us just see the Kuga as a car and not an off roader but now you have explained the reason of the title.

General and BF Goodrich tend to do all terrain type tyres. Perhaps have a word with your local tyre supplier and see what's available to suit your wheel size.

·
Update Ninja
3,704 Posts
Cant see a problem to be honest if you can get then in correct size, but as I said earlier I think road noise would be a problem, the majority of tyre threads on the forum all mention various tyres and main comments seem to be about road noise between makes.
The Kuga isnt a normal 4 wheel drive in the fact you cannot select all wheel drive, predominantly FWD, it engages rear wheels automatically and you can view drive distribution on the dashboard whilst driving ( its in driver information settings),

Reactions: TanMans

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

@TanMans - I think you just took some of our members who have read your post by surprise with the 4x4 I the title. Most of us just see the Kuga as a car and not an off roader but now you have explained the reason of the title.

General Grabber tend to do all terrain type tyres. Perhaps have a word with your local tyre supplier and see what's available to suit your wheel size.
@smartguy69 thanks, I’m fully aware the Kuga isn’t an off-roader, I’m just after the look! Thanks for the recommendation. 😎

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
637 Posts
Nope, not kidding. Genuine question see as I see these on Ford Transits, and other non-4WD vehicles. Thanks for the unhelpful, patronizing response though. 👌🏻
Not very nice is it, last time you get my advice 😉

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,429 Posts
What size tyres are you looking at getting?..we have BF Goodrich all terrain T/A K02 on our Hilux,,but i dont think they make them for 235/55/17.(My Kuga tyre size)

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,456 Posts
There's a massive thread on the US Escape forums with examples of what has been fitted. Keep in mind a lot of them are using oversized tyres which may not be legal where you live. Plus it affects the braking/ acceleration accuracy of the speedo.

If you downsize to 17" wheels your likelihood of finding some in an A/T pattern will increase.

e.g. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel=WildPeak+A/T+Trail&partnum=355VR7WPATTXL

·
Registered
Mk1 Kuga 2.0d 163ps manual 4x4
85 Posts
I am with the OP. We live in a free country so are entitled to both free thinking and doing whatever we think is right as long as no one else is harmed.
Big butch off road tyres, or paint it pink with a rattle can... each to their own and comments that read like "go away plebe, if you dare to be different you are not welcome here" just reflect badly on the author. Why respond when you have nothing constructive to add to the post?

Personally, I am off roading my kuga. Maybe 2% of the time, so I want a 98% road car, but I need an off roader 2% of the time. And I am not buying a Jeep/Ranger for 2% of the time no matter what others think. So I am interested in a debate about dual purpose tyres - and accept the car will never be a Defender....

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,456 Posts
I am with the OP. We live in a free country so are entitled to both free thinking and doing whatever we think is right as long as no one else is harmed.
Big butch off road tyres, or paint it pink with a rattle can... each to their own and comments that read like "go away plebe, if you dare to be different you are not welcome here" just reflect badly on the author. Why respond when you have nothing constructive to add to the post?
Don't worry, you'll get the same type of responses if you post questions at the other end of the scale - like on lowering the suspension. It's totally uncalled for.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hmmmm.....
I've been thinking about this and the implications of what originally was asked.....

key bit you need to remember is that if you increase the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre, you risk fouling the bodywork / chassis while turning the wheel.. also sending the tyre through the bumper when you go over a large bump.. your handling will also be affected.

I run 225x65x17's in the winter without any scrubbing or issues.. so thats a start. they do offroad tyres in that size ... the chunkier the tread, the more likely fouling will be though
you can use this site Tyre Comparison for checking different combinations

225x65x17 is very, VERY close ...... (I know a mk1 can use 17" rims, I think cars with electric handbrake need 18's minimum..??? someone else will confirm this)
By going with different tyres. the other risk is that you spend a lot of £££ and they dont fit!

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here are the 225x65x17 tyres in comparrison to the 19" summer wheels..

Note the gap (or lack of gap)
at the front between the tyre and body moulding....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Blue Light

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm.....
I've been thinking about this and the implications of what originally was asked.....

key bit you need to remember is that if you increase the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre, you risk fouling the bodywork / chassis while turning the wheel.. also sending the tyre through the bumper when you go over a large bump.. your handling will also be affected.

I run 225x65x17's in the winter without any scrubbing or issues.. so thats a start. they do offroad tyres in that size ... the chunkier the tread, the more likely fouling will be though
you can use this site Tyre Comparison for checking different combinations

225x65x17 is very, VERY close ...... (I know a mk1 can use 17" rims, I think cars with electric handbrake need 18's minimum..??? someone else will confirm this)
By going with different tyres. the other risk is that you spend a lot of £££ and they dont fit!

View attachment 8428
This is really helpful, thank you!

·
Registered
589 Posts
This is really helpful, thank you!
anytime!!!

If you come up with a combination you fancy, post back here and we can talk it over.... !
All depends on how much you want to spend I guess.. second hand 17" wheels are cheap (£150 ish).. tyre price on top of that of course!

I have the full winter (mud and snow) tyres that are above... I've never been stuck yet and have had snow up to the wing mirrors before! the front of the car was acting like a plough mind you but we kept moving.....

I've never had my car in real mud though... ground clearance on my kuga isnt the best .. especially with the -30mm Eibach springs .

·
Update Ninja
3,704 Posts
Electric handbrake requires17” rim minimum, and that just leaves about 10mm calliper clearance

Reactions: The Painter
1 - 20 of 30 Posts