Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested if anyone has driven their Kuga in snowy or icy conditions yet and how it performed?

Whilst Salisbury is not known for its extreme winters, I live in a low lying village that sometimes has surface water that freezes and we do get some quite tricky black ice on windycountry lanes. Because it is a minor road we are not usually gritted either.

Wonder how the Kuga will cope?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not snow I'm afraid but 4" of mud. Handled it very well but took an age to clean afterwards. So it will be interesting to see how she does in snow.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Did you feel the rear wheels kicking in or did the front wheels manage all by their own?

Looks a capable enough motor with general mud/snow capabilities............

If there are any Northern members who get any snowy type weather then lets us all know how your Kuga gets on! :)
Edited by: Griff

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rear wheels and occasionally traction control, and it didn't slow down. Was so pleased as it had a big audience.(camp site that had had three months of constant rain)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've answered my own question today. Still -2 at midday with very icy conditions. Kuga rock solid, steered beautifully and coped with very slippery road surface, no problem

·
Registered
113 Posts
Drove through blizzard in the highlands where others had abandoned cars and was fine - a little bit of sliding on bends....

Just remember though that 4wd's suffer the same as all cars when it comes to stopping on ice / snow. I skidded down a hill the other day becoming just a passenger - luckily nothing coming across the t-junction at the bottom. Was perfect going up the same hill where my old Zafira hadn't made it up the year before....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep that is the problem - it's great having loads of grip for driving, but no help when trying to stop!

Also remember the other idiots out there as well - had 2 X-Trails before the Kuga and always felt confident enough in snow etc -trouble is others try and drive in conditions that their cars can't handle. Got hit from behind by a Micra in that first X-Trail because they hadn't taken into account that perhaps the stopping distance might have increased somewhat due to about 2 inches of frozen solid snow on the road. So although I have continued with owning a 4x4 I'm quite picky about driving if we have snow just because of the others on the road - will be even more so in the Kuga I think (especially when my new ones turns up!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts