Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title say's after one and a half tanks of fuel, she's going back to Ford. The MPG (or Gallons per mile as it should be called) refused to go above 29mpg even on a 130 mile motorway trip!
When i switched on to instant MPG with the cruise control on it would jump 20-30 or even 40MPG instantly.There is also a small flat spot at about 1500rpm
My other car ( an Alfa diesel ) will gradualy rise or fall by 1-4 MPG when in the same situation ( instant MPG and cruise on).
There is somthing not right with the Kuga and she is going in on Monday.
Fingers crossed they find the problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I hear many have same problem with first tow takfuls of fuel before it starts to creep up to 35 mpg (deisel) overall with 40 on a run (motorway).
I too had a poor start and was not too happy with fuel readings ,instant readings are all over the place so a bit of a nonsense. now I get 32 with spirited driving round town. 43.6 average with alight foot and under 25rpm and 39.5 on a run. I think the system takes a while to 'learn' to be fuel freindly and I have now done just over 1000 miles. hopefully you will get better returns when it comes back from the dealers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i get no joy from the dealer i'll go for a remap. I'll let a tuning company work their magic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Had the car for 6 weeks, and only get 32.8 on the motorway and 31 around town, i had a 57 plate galaxy 2.0tdci and was getting 38 around town and 48 on the motorway and she was 140bhp the kuga is 36bhp so why arnt we getting the fuel figures ford say we should get.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It comes to something when you buy a £20k diesel car which is supposed to be up to date in technology, saving the planet with emissions etc and it does less MPG than my 10yr old Alfa 156 petrol!!!!
Surely something is wrong!

·
Registered
418 Posts
It takes ages to get good MPG from the car, mine is on 15,000miles and now gives around 36 using optimax. Being honest I don't drive Miss Daisey so not surprised that it is around this figure.

I would give it some time as these engines do take quite a while to loosen up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did think it would take some time to loosen up, but it was the instant MPG fiqures that was alarming!
Without changing your foot position it's jumps 20-40MPG and does not settle. This can't be right.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I see what you'r saying cornish, but when i bought the galaxy we all whent off to germany where my son is in the army, fueld her up went from cardiff to just outside frankfurt on 3 quarters of a tank an av of 43mpg and that was from new av speed was 65 75 mph for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The instant guage is a bit rubbish in my experisnce, best looking at the Average one and resetting it before a long journey.

I doubt the dealers will find anything wrong with it, best running it for at least a couple of thousand miles and see what it is like.

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
Would have to agree with Cornish.

My soon to be replaced Mondeo (2.0 TDCi 115PS)for the first couple of thousand miles was only delivering an average consumption in the early to mid 30's now after another 30,000 miles is regularly high 40's and occasionally early 50's.

By all means get it checked out but I'd give it a while longer yet before expecting to see a true picture on the fuel economy.
Edited by: Gazwats

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that the engine will loosen up and the MPG will improve.
My main reason for thinking things are not right is the instant MPG reading.
It should not jump around the way it is and there should not be a flat spot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
did you take the K back to ford Cuba?

what did they say?

mine is the same - 28/29mpg

has yours improved at all?

·
Registered
58 Posts
not owning a tdi in the past I can't really compare, but I guess that the jumping around of mpg figures will results in the pressing of the accelerator too quickly. On our first tank of derv, we are slowly moving up to 37mph. However as soon as the turbo kicks in around 1900rpm the figure just drops away. you have to remember that for some (ours is 2wd) you are carrying a lot of extra resistance with the awd and if you push the enginethe awd maybe kicking in?

the instant mpg reading does move around alot, but generally put your foot down a big it goes down, keep it steady it goes up. How is it calibrated? off the throttle linkage or from the fuel inlet?

for me anything is better than the 28mpg I was getting from my old merc Vaneo petrol!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sorry to hear all the problems with fuel etc. I've posted about this before, as I drove my 2wd to work the day after collecting it. A 35 mile journey along a mixture of roads and i'm averaging 51mpg according to the read out. On a motorway run at 70mph, it averages late 40s. This has been the case since new 5 weeks ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As we all thought Ford found nothing wrong with my Peugot engined Kuga, and the MPG is touching 30 now, Woo Hoo! By the time we px it back to Ford, in two years time it might be up to 31! Should have waited and got the 2.5 petrol. I don't mind the fuel consumption being bad if i've got some go!

·
Registered
385 Posts
cuba i have to point out the engine is not from peugot,but made in ford plant in england as ford will tell you and the ford workers who have made several refs to this,ford also bulid the engines for volvo,freelander,jaguar,peugot there was a note about this on there website saying what a good year last year was for there europeon diesel plant uk. on the mpg subject getting 29mpg around town 3000 miles on the clock

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am on 37.5 with 17800 miles on the clock.

It does get much better as the engine beds in, it also loosens up well and drives much better.

On a motorway trip it goes up into the late 30's.

Problem with the 2.5l will be come trade-in time as it will most likely drop much harder than the Diesel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I find the 2.0 TDCI Duratorq engine very good, certainly seems to have more pull that the official numbers suggest, maybe it's the type of driving you do but 30mpg does seem excessively low although I don't see how the petrol would be better. I wonder the the jumping around instant mpg relates to the drive by wire throttle, much more sensitive to the slightest change on the pedal than an old cable... just a thought. Let it loosen up, get it on some flowing a and b roads and you should see well into the 40's, well I do on my awd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts