Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell the difference (other than driving off road and spinning). Is there a drive shaft under the floor pan? Something in the engine bay to makethe clutch kick in the AWD?

Edited by: markm

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I know, but Iguess I ama bit of a poser and quite like having the option. I suppose I'm just one of those annoying yummie mummies driving around town trying to look stylish

Mind you, I did drive up a kerb once with my 4WD!

Edited by: championkuga

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
the undertaker said:
personally, with £2000 difference in awd and 2wd new I really dont think living in the UK many of us could justify the extra????

ThenI guess it doesn't rain in the UK anymore?

As some members have said in their posts, the Kuga does behave well in most conditions, but when the road surfaceand weatherarebad, then 4WD is going to make a difference, especially accelerating and cornering.

Just my opinion, though!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Haha but then I find it hard to justify why anyone would buy an SUV that isn't 4wd, why not buy a people carrier if you want a higher driiving position or the standard Focus thatour beloved Kuga is based on. You are paying extra for the car, the co2 and the mpg to drive the SUV version.

Take a look under the rear bumper, you'll see a rear differntial and two drive shafts to the rear wheels, easy to spot from a few feet back :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
the co2 is lower, hence road fund licence cheaper on 2wd, I would not buy people carrier, dont have kids, andDO NOT want them,dont like "average" family cars. Want something different, but dont require 4wd. Guess thats why we are all different???? I'd rather save £2k. I drive my car very hard now and dont have awd, and would not be any quicker/efficient if I did. As for rain, why, of course, not much else but awd should only kick in on very rare occasions anyhow.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like you dont need the awd version but many people chnoose them in the uk not because of everyday road work but weekend activity, caravans, car trailers etc. All of which take benefit from added awd stability on and off the black stuff. Also if this global warming gets much worse the added traction for both british damp summers and icey winters will also be welcome :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
peek under the rear bumper. you should see a shaft going into the wheels. if not its a 2 wheel drive!
most folk do not need awd or 4x4's for everyday use.
it is ideal if you tow say a trailer or caravan or go off tarmac a lot such as dirt /gravel tracks.
In UK we salt most of the roads (well most of the time we do) so 2 wheel drive is perfectly adequate for 99% of use.
We have to make a decision if having the option of 4 wheel drive for another £2000 is a worthwhile investment plus additional costs for tax and fuel usage.
my own choice? AWD as I can't afford a Discovery unless its a fairly old one but I got a good deal on a brand new Kuga with AWD so..the rest as they say is history.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Who would realistically buy a discovery anyway,You did the right thing going for the kug dont spoil it by mentioning .....That word Its almost as bad as b?w(sorry had to put some letters in so you Know what I mean)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts