Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some information here and some questions if anybody knows.
I have mains recharged my battery now for about the fourth time and have noticed that each time the estimated mileage from charge has slightly increased beyond the notional 35miles. So far I had taken this with a pinch of salt except today it said that I had 46 miles stored and I knew I was making a 22mile return journey i.e. 44 miles in total so I put it to the test.
I set the drive mode to "Eco" and usage type as "battery now". I achieved the complete journey, which was mainly along country lanes, with 1 mile of charge left in the battery; close enough. Impressed.
Now the question if anybody knows; What exactly does it do when you select "Eco" or for that matter "Sport" or one of the other modes? I noticed that as I drove it kept inviting me to click "OK to activate engine" so I am sort of guessing that the engine is perhaps normally ticking over in case it is needed whereas in Eco mode it is actually turned off and only started if demands require and then presumably with a bit of a pause or glitch. Am I correct in this assumption for Eco or is there more to it and if so what?
If anybody from Ford reads this I give 10/10 for the car and zilch/10 for the manual, needs sorting and is doing the car no favours.

·
Registered
NigelB is poor substitude for moderator
610 Posts
I used SPORT mode a few times now, and there is no going to EV mode here, and your Eco mode, i have not tried i assume its similar to NORMAL.

in EV only mode, i find that "OK to activate engine" annoying since a double tap, by accident on another notification, on OK will enable engine, and you cannot go back to EV only again. so not a good solution they made here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used SPORT mode a few times now, and there is no going to EV mode here, and your Eco mode, i have not tried i assume its similar to NORMAL.

in EV only mode, i find that "OK to activate engine" annoying since a double tap, by accident on another notification, on OK will enable engine, and you cannot go back to EV only again. so not a good solution they made here.
Yes I agree, the sequencing of this "OK to activate engine" is annoying and not helped because I am not entirely clear as to what I am or am not opting into as to engine performance.
I have now just mains charged the battery again overnight from journey above i.e. this will be my fifth mains charge and the estimated stored miles is now saying 49! Admittedly I have as yet not put it to similar test to see if they really are there but this is significantly above the advertised notional 35 mile. Surely this is not just my car is anybody else seeing this effect? and for me it begs the question as to how far this will go and is there some way through deliberate charging routine to get a maximum out of the battery?

·
Registered
NigelB is poor substitude for moderator
610 Posts
From my experience now, i end up around 38 miles (62km) on my charge. If i do tend to activate the regular engine the count is not accurate at the end , of course. But to me it look good and stable around the 38 miles.
It changes a little when i on highway with 110-120km(around 70 - 75mph) but i think it works great.

And yes, i have seen the remaining km per charge being a little higher when i start the car, but it changes after some minutes of driving, so do not be afraid, i think it will change with an update of software at some point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had mine a week and I agree. I noticed just today that a full charge now show 40 miles and it used 22 on a trip today leaving 18 so must be true. Very impressed so far. I've only used the 'normal' setting mostly although I did try 'sport' to check it out. Its great in sport but I think it only raises the gear change point like most sport mode cars. Don't think it uses battery in sport. I love the seamless way it switched the engine on when required in normal. It only comes on when I floor it - plus of course when the battery is empty, although even when the indicator says zero miles on battery, it still runs now and again on electric so I guess that is when the regenerative braking and running down hill add a bit of charge. So quiet - even when the engine is engaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts