Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Kuga ST-Line, 6 speed manual, Silver
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New member here..
I currently have a 2018 Ford Kuga ST-Line 1.5 Diesel, 6 speed manual with roughly 27k miles on the clock.

We recently bought the car (not locally) and the engine warning has come on, So i plugged in my 'cheap' OBDII reader and it states:
P2002 Diesel Particulate Filter effiecency below threashold Bank 1
Value: 0.359
Min: 1.000
Max: 65.535

We do have the option to take the car back under the warrenty but if the solution is 'novice-friendly' i would rather just deal with it myself as the garage we bought it from is some distance away.

My understanding (which is limited) is that this means either the DPF filter is clogged or the DPF Sensor is faulty, if so, my plan is to do the following.. but if you guys have any other suggestions or recommendations please feel free to offer suggestions..
The car currently has 1/4 tank of diesel in it, so fill it up with BP premium Diesel incase car has dirty/cheap fuel to help dilute the dirty/cheap fuel then manually engage a DPF regen by doing a 30min+ carrageway/motorway run keeping the car around 2.5/3k revs to help flush the filter with heat.
IF NOT FIXED : Replace the DPF sensor itself as i would suspect its not telling the DPF to regen when it needs to?

thoughts? suggestions?
If you need any additional info, please ask
thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,787 Posts
Hi @Ice and welcome to the forum. Please have a read here and update your signature with your car's information so you won't have to tell us what you have for future posts. Please note that I said SIGNATURE box so your car's info shows like mine below. Please include manufacture year, exact model, fuel type etc.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

As for your problem it could be a few things. If the DPF was blocked with soot accumulation it should bring up the P2463 code as well. With reference to the P2002 code, Google says this.
  • Dirty air cleaner element
  • Recent manual or thorough diesel particulate filter regeneration
  • Aftermarket accessories and performance modifications
  • Modified tailpipe
  • Exhaust leaks before or near the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor
  • Leaks in the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor connecting hose
  • Faulty, damaged or clogged Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
There are possibly a few other reasons as well but I would be checking all hoses for splits and electrical connections. Make sure the MAF Sensor connector is plugged into the airbox.

A decent code reader may help as well as most generic codes readers will not read both CANBUS systems associated with Ford. A modded ELM327 and FORScan software which is free, is the way to go.

You could try clearing the code and take it for a decent drive and see if it comes back. The type of fuel previously used will make no difference as all fuel sold in the UK needs to meet a minimum EU standard. I have only ever purchased premium fuel once and 150 miles later the car I had failed a regen and I have never bothered with it since. I run my car on supermarket fuel and it seldom goes out of the city. It would still make sense to top the fuel up. I am not sure if there is a minimum fuel parameter for regeneration on the Kuga. It was 20 litres on my last car.

Now I am not sure about the 1.5 litre but on the 2 litre it has both active and passive regeneration. The active part means the dpf will regenerate around the city. It has a vaporiser fitted in the exhaust system which uses diesel to increase the exhaust temperature for regeneration. The vaporisers have been known to fail but not at the mileage of your car.

Fixing DPF issues can be a bit of a minefield but if you are looking at trying to fix this yourself then a decent code reader is where you need to start. I would advise against a manual regeneration until such time as the fault is found.

That's about as much as I can tell you. One of our other members will help you reference what the dpf values mean and what they should be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting read, thank you for the info.

I have cleared the fault code, filled up the tank and added a DPF cleaner..
Just taken it for a run (40+miles) @ around 50mph / 2.5k revs.
So far no warning lights have re-appeared

I will keep this post updated over the next few days/weeks incase someone else runs into the same issue, they can then see what i did & the results it had..

·
5,787 Posts
I read up a little on the P2002 code as it wasn't one I recognised. It could be a dodgy sensor, wire or vacuum pipe but that's just a guess.

I would suggest getting an ELM327 modded and check to see if any other fault codes are stored.

Proscan Automotive Modified ELM 327a for use with Forscan ELMconfig HS MS CAN switch fitted FTDI Chip : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Look out for this on also when it comes on offer for same price as above.

ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus OBD2 diagnostics … : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

You will need a laptop and FORSCan software for both of the above. The software is free.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
458 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, I had the same car before this one and I always knew when it doing a regen or I'd interrupted the regen as the radiator fan was going fast and loud.
It would continue for 5 minutes even with the engine off.

Reactions: Ice

·
5,787 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, I had the same car before this one and I always knew when it doing a regen or I'd interrupted the regen as the radiator fan was going fast and loud.
It would continue for 5 minutes even with the engine off.
Never noticed mine doing a regen in two and a half years.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x sport 2013
123 Posts
Hi yet again I will advise the fitting of an led “regen in progress “ warning light. Cheap simple easy to fit and it means you need never miss or shut down during a regen.

·
5,787 Posts
Hi yet again I will advise the fitting of an led “regen in progress “ warning light. Cheap simple easy to fit and it means you need never miss or shut down during a regen.
I keep thinking about doing that and have the thread saved as a bookmark. Just a question where to stick the led.

·
5,787 Posts
I wanted to try and get a surface mounted led but all the ones I have seen require a 6mm hole which is too big. I assume I need a 12v led.

·
5,787 Posts
I just drilled a hole and use a 12vdc blue led the kind with a locknut.
I just ordered a 12v 3mm pre-wired diode with push in holder so watch this space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update..

Went for a short 15 mile trip today : all was fine..
On way back home the engine warning light came on again.. grr

Have now also ordered the suggested Modded ELM327a & downloaded the FORScan for windows (should arrive tomoz)

When we got home, i..
Have inspected the Sensor located by the battery, unplugged and plugged back in.. (no difference)
Visualy inspected the braded tubes, nothing obvious but will remove and check for hidden cracks/splits etc tomoz..
Visualy inspected where they connect to either side of the DPF to see if loose or detatched.. (all look fine)
Inspected the exhaust for leaks, holes etc.. couldnt see or hear anything out of the ordinary..
Inspected the Air filter, was alittle dirty nothing too bad but ordered a new one anyway..
Will upload the results of the Elm327a+Forscan tomoz when it arrives.

·
Registered
Kuga, 2011 titanium 2wd 2.0tdci 140bhp black
37 Posts
Fuel filter. If its clogged then the 5th injector situated in the dpf (vapouriser) will struggle to regen as most nearly all fuel will go to the engine. Also check that the glow plug in the vapoueiser has power to heat up to burn said diesel from the 5th injector. This can be seen on the forscan software. Also if the egr valve, and the inlet are blocked up with carbon, then engine will struggle to breath and loss of power will occur

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

For scan showed the following, can anyone translate that info into English?

·
5,787 Posts
Next time you hook your ELM up to the car clear the IPC code. If it comes back straight away then obviously there is a problem which I don't have an answer for.

The PCM068A code could be down to a loose battery connection. I am not familiar with the layout of your engine but if it's similar to the Focus then the negative lead may go under the airbox. Check it's tight. I am not sure if this is or would be relative to your P2002 code. I came across this link whilst looking for something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts