Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just purchased the newer style steering wheel & Air bag, fitted and all working well apart from cruise control. I've read somewhere & been advised that you need to swap two pins on the lead which goes into the cruise switch. But struggling to work out which ones to move...... Any advice /help appreciated

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Did you have to change the "clock spring"- I've read they've got different plugs? Is it the heated version with paddles you've fitted?

If you've got ForScan I'd try seeing if any fault codes are logged. Otherwise you might need to try comparing the operation with a multimeter. I'm not sure if the cruise switches use differing resistance values to designate the buttons or something else?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David.... I have ForsCan.... Will have a look today. Plugs are the same, mine is a manual, not heated. Nope haven't changed the clock spring. The guy who I brought it from says its two wires to change purple & black to match the old loom.
Paul

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
That could be all you need to do. Ford hopefully keep the same wiring colour for a given electrical signal.

It's interesting regarding the plug being the same. Perhaps the US models have a different plug because they seem to have dual stage air bags (requiring four wires), whereas I found mine only had two wires for the air bag. So there were enough vacant pins in the plug on my 2016 Kuga for both the later model paddle shifters and heating. (I retrofitted the paddles to my stock steering wheel, I didn't try the later model steering wheel after I read on the US forums about the clock spring plugs being totally different.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info David.... I've read all about your your retrofit, hoping it would shed some light....:unsure: I've now gone down the route of replacing the clock spring with one from a 2017, for the sake of £20 its worth a try. I've tried mirroring the wiring from the old wheel but that just turns the cruise control into the steering wheel controls !! :LOL: Will let you know how it goes... PS no faults on ForSScan.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Keep the updates coming.

One of the issues with adding the paddles to my "old" steering wheel is the Cruise Control "Cancel/ Resume" button is large and essentially like a third "paddle". Some care needs to be taken to not accidentally get the wrong paddle switch- especially if the wheel is turned slightly. The later model steering wheel has a smaller "Cancel/Resume" button on the front of the steering wheel located with the other Cruise Control buttons.

Wiring diagrams used to be online here http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wd-country-message/ but they've recently blocked access from countries outside the US. Perhaps using some type of anonymiser site might get around that?

Be very careful swapping wires around that you don't cause some irreparable damage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do
This is the New steering wheel I have ( without paddles)... will lwt you know how I get on when the Squib ring arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
One of the best options to have, brilliant in cold weather and, if like me, you have arthritis in hands, a real bonus

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update...... 2017 used ( £28 from Gala Motors) squib ring fitted tonight, all working as it should. No coding required..... ??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep .....I managed to get the whole unit with stalks.... 4 screws two at the bottom 2 at the top. Two plugs one at the rear & one at the bottom, basically a straight swap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts