Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took a run along the motorway and noticed that my Kuga was running in 5th gear With revs at around 2500rpm. Checked to see if I was inadvertently in sport mode but was in normal D mode. Tried manually moving it into 6th with paddle but it refused to change. After the run of around 30 mins all returned to normal. Does anyone know if it was the car in an active regeneration mode? I’ve looked all over the place for info but seen no mention of the car holding a lower gear to increase revs during a regen cycle (seems plausible though). Any insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you put your model details in your signature we won't have to ask the question of "engine, model and year"

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you put your model details in your signature we won't have to ask the question of "engine, model and year"
Good point, but since the post title says "2017 ST180 Powershift", I guess it can only be a 2.0l diesel engine...

That said 30 miles sounds a bit long for a DPF regeneration... as typical cycle is 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys I assumed the 180 would be enough but you’re right it is a 2.0 diesel euro 6 engine. It made sense that it was staying in 5th to increase revs during regen but I just couldn’t find any info about it. Amended my signature as suggested. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry guys I assumed the 180 would be enough but you’re right it is a 2.0 diesel euro 6 engine. It made sense that it was staying in 5th to increase revs during regen but I just couldn’t find any info about it. Amended my signature as suggested. Thanks.
You might wanna add the "Duratorq diesel" or "TDCI" to your signo... not everyone takes it for granted it's a diesel ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've noticed mine has regend a few times, I can tell by the hot metallic exhaust type smell as I leave the car, but its never changed how the gear box operates.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've noticed mine has regend a few times, I can tell by the hot metallic exhaust type smell as I leave the car, but its never changed how the gear box operates.
My MPG is really poor as well documented on here :mad: and yet I have never ever experienced the tell-tale signs of a regeneration in over 8000miles (over the last 10 months).

As I understand it, you get poor mpg (already got that) and the "hot metallic" smell while it takes place (never had that).

Never did on my previous car either for that matter (2012 Mondeo MK4 2.0 Diesel TitX), in which I covered 80,000 miles in 6.5 years of ownership.

The only thing I can think that would prevent a regen occurring, would be that I have only ever used diesel since 2012, which is supposed to keep the engine running cleaner.

Anyone else use only "BP Ultimate" and still get the regen occurring ?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I doubt if the fuel has anything to do with it tbh. I put BT ultimate in my Mazda to give it a birthday on a trip to Austria. 150 miles into the journey it failed a regen be brought the light on. Never used it since. All diesels produce soot when cold which is why the dpf was designed to catch it. If it had just been a case of having better fuel to stop the soot particles then normal diesel would have been removed from sale instead. Just like 4 star or leaded petrol was removed when we made the jump to unleaded. I have never witnessed mine doing a regen either although the other morning there was a bit of a smell coming from the car when I was hooking the trailer up which I had not smelt before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts