Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a split in my front passenger side outer cv boot and I can’t seem to find the cv boot kit for replacement, has anyone changed theirs recently or someone in the know who could help point me in the right direction.
Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Singh_city, put your model in your signature then we can pin point what part you need.

If in the North West and parts of Yorkshire I use General Traffic, due to the job you get what you pay for.

Had a quick look on Car parts for less, (For mine 180AWD) and they do a SKF outer kit for around £37, so the after market do them.

Not done one on a Kuga, but a good few others including Fords. so the hard bits of the job if you do it yourself:

The bottom ball joint is a large one on the Kuga, this will be difficult without the right kit.
Main nut on driveshaft will be very tight, hard to undo and even harder to torque correctly again without the right kit.
On full lock you may be able to thread the driveshaft out of the hub - Anyone done it? Sometimes you have to split the track rod end.
Then the circlip to release the driveshaft from the CV joint. sometimes you are lucky and can undo under the archway, or end up pinging it out of the gearbox completely and work on a bench. (requires new gearbox oil)

If you have done a FWD CV boot before, sorry, but I think the CV boot on a kuga will require better tools than the typical DIYer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Singh_city, put your model in your signature then we can pin point what part you need.

If in the North West and parts of Yorkshire I use General Traffic, due to the job you get what you pay for.

Had a quick look on Car parts for less, (For mine 180AWD) and they do a SKF outer kit for around £37, so the after market do them.

Not done one on a Kuga, but a good few others including Fords. so the hard bits of the job if you do it yourself:

The bottom ball joint is a large one on the Kuga, this will be difficult without the right kit.
Main nut on driveshaft will be very tight, hard to undo and even harder to torque correctly again without the right kit.
On full lock you may be able to thread the driveshaft out of the hub - Anyone done it? Sometimes you have to split the track rod end.
Then the circlip to release the driveshaft from the CV joint. sometimes you are lucky and can undo under the archway, or end up pinging it out of the gearbox completely and work on a bench. (requires new gearbox oil)

If you have done a FWD CV boot before, sorry, but I think the CV boot on a kuga will require better tools than the typical DIYer.
Hi thanks for the reply, I’m looking to get the work carried out by a mechanic of mine who is not able to get the part from euro car parts so advised me to check with the main dealer and they only sell the cv boot on a new joint with the driveshaft but this is at a cost of around £400, I’m sure there must be a way around this without having to fork out this much money.

The car is a 2016 Ford Kuga FWD 2.0TDCI 6 Speed Manual Titanium X.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If SKF do the one for the AWD like mine:
1: they will definitely do the one for the FWD,
2: and won't be surprised if the same as the AWD

So just try a quality motor factors in your area.
Or put your reg number in a online parts site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts