Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
trying to replace the pads on the rear of my 2015 4x4 kuga (manual parking brake) ive bought several rewind tools from eurocarparts but none of them fit.
the spacing between the 2pins needs to be 19mm to the pin centres, can anyone please tell the exact tool I need? may as well use this lockdown time to get stuff done!!
cheers.
Lee.

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
EuroCarParts sell them with next day delivery but give them a call as they have about four different models, to check that the one you are buying has 19mm centres.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I thought they were 20mm centres. I can tell you the Hilti one marked for Ford does not fit. I did my rear brakes recently and resorted to a pair of long nose pliers and some brute force. It's hard trying to keep the pressure on and turn at the same time. A small headed G clamp would have helped. A pair of water pump pliers may work to keep pressure on the piston whilst your turn the piston clockwise. Undo the brake reservoir cap as well and look out for fluid coming out the top.

If you do the discs at some point and the calipers are held on with a male torx head you want an 12E female torx socket.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I did my rear brakes recently and resorted to a pair of long nose pliers and some brute force.
If it's a one off job or rarely done then something custom/ home made is often good enough. I made an oil filter removal tool from some PVC stormwater pipe once (heat it up and then slip it onto the oil filter)- I didn't have the correct size cap tool and a strap wrench wouldn't fit.

What diameter are the holes in the caliper- some suitable diameter metal rod bent to suit the 19mm spacing might help?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
same here!!
Hurts your hands though lol.

I did think about altering the disc that came with my hilti tool as it has four pins in it to suit various vehicles. I was going to knock the two widest pins out and then drill two holes at the correct centres and then put the pins back in.

@Tapps - you can buy a tool where the pins are adjustable as they are slotted. Not cheap though and this is for 20mm up which is what I though the pins were.

If it is 19mm there is this adapter but again not cheap and you still need a tool to do it.

·
Registered
678 Posts

My post 24. I bought a ford / jag/ rewind tool, that fits all... Except the Kuga, that has Vauxhall Caliper and pads from a Vectra. I modified it to fit by drilling and putting new pins in the right place. Worked a treat.
I then did rear pads on a Astra and was the same.

Failing that put gentle pressure on the piston with a old fashioned G clamp (Where the end bit can swivel on a ball) Grip the swivel bit of the G clamp with grips and rotate. DO NOT be tempted to grip the piston sides and you will damage the finish and cause leakage of fluid. As the piston rotates back into its caliper nip up the G clamp to reapply pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts