Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let everyone know that my 2015 (65plate) Kuga Titanium x Sport 1.5L Eco-Boost engine blew up at under 16 thousand miles with number 3 & 4 pistons melting.

Luckily the car is still under warranty until September 2018 so I thought that it would be a simple matter of getting the engine replaced and Ford UK did supply a FOC hire car for the duration of the repair.

Unfortunately Arnold Clark are the main agents and that where the troubles started.

Booked in on 23rd April, but they couldn't look at it until 4th May (fully booked), then all they did was take the spark plugs out and say that the two cylinders were full of oil. (they only had to look at the exhausts and see the black oily soot) Then they said that they couldn't look at it again until he 14th May (as they were fully booked), Uuuuuummmmm isn't my car already booked in - no answer.

At this point I contacted Ford Customer Relations, I explained the whole sorry tale to them and they raised a case file and complaint against Arnold Clark and started to chase them for some action.

Come the 14th May they took off the cylinder head and found number 4 piston melted and number 3 part melted so they had to contact Ford. Now I got onto Ford and everything started to move a lot quicker with them pushing the garage, and quickly approving the warranty replacement.

The garage got the new short engine but again no work commences, by now I onto Ford Customer Relations on a daily basis updating them on Arnold Clarks total lack of knowledge or urgency.

Jump forward to the end of May and still now further forward (they hadn't ordered all the necessary gaskets) then they had serious fuel leaks and other issues.

Again I contact Ford and during the conversation the complaint manage says "would you like to reject this car" YES i said, then I start getting calls fro Arnold Clark asking where my car is so they can value it!!!! About 10m behind you I said.

Eventually their pathetic offer having been rejected by me as I had agreed a price with Ford was accepted by Arnold Clark and following other hassle with their inability to correctly complete the paperwork I got my price paid into the Bank.

So now we've order an new Toyota Hybrid.

Moral of this sorry tale, Arnold Clark don't know what they are doing and don't care less

Rant Over
and Enjoy the sunny weather while it lasts
Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
A sorry tale indeed.

Enjoy your new Toyota, which one did you go for?

Don't say a Prius unless you are ready to be flagged down by every drunk who wants a minicab.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi NigelB

We've gone for the top spec Auris with panoramic roof and all the same and more goodies that the Kuga had.

The big difference will be the fuel economy whereas the kuga was returning 25 - 27 mpg the Auris should return 50+ in a real world, plus I can silently sneak up on people wandering around the supermarket car park and scare the living daylights out of them.

Yes I know I'm a sad old fart!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
The Auris is a fine motor. There is a flagship Toyota dealer just a mile or so from me and, for some reason, it is full of Priuses (or is that Priii?) and that 'Marmite'C-HR which looks OK in some colours but hideous in others.

Enjoy the new car and, safe and happy motoring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just noticed you are getting a Diesel Titanium X in July, before we got the petrol Kuga we had a MK1 Titanium X Diesel and we put 60K on it without any issues and we only got rid because we were no longer doing a high mileage having retired.

I think the 1.5l petrol is not man enough for the size of car, but the Auris is a 1.8 so hopefully I shouldn't blow it up

One thing we'll miss is the heated screen which is very useful in the frozen north

Enjoy your new car

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
Thanks Dave.

Four weeks to go for my first Kuga.

The heated screen is good wherever you are, I had them on both of my Alhambras.

I have had three great years in a Vauxhall Mokka without a single problem, well apart from a battery changed under warranty on a same day booking.

However now that Peugeot has acquired Vauxhall-Opel I would not touch another with a barge pole.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is the first failure i've heard of from the 1.5 Ecoboost. Do you know the cause of the failure? Any unusual signs that it was going to fail or did it go all of a sudden?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
AndyS79 said:
This is the first failure i've heard of from the 1.5 Ecoboost. Do you know the cause of the failure? Any unusual signs that it was going to fail or did it go all of a sudden?
If you have a look on the USA Ford Escape forums, there are a few 1.5 EcoBoost failures, mainly due to porous cylinder head castings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's not so good
Bad Communications and handling from one of the bigger Dealerships

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ozekuga said:
AndyS79 said:
If you have a look on the USA Ford Escape forums, there are a few 1.5 EcoBoost failures, mainly due to porous cylinder head castings.
I may be wrong, but I think the USA 1.5 Ecoboost engine is built in Mexico. I haven't heard of any issues with the European built units.

·
Registered
54 Posts
37000kms on mine with no problems and going on 100000km on my previous 1ltr ecoboost B-max also with no problems.... but saying that is probably the kiss of doom

You have been treated badly by the dealer but once Ford got involved they where pushing for you but still the dealer was not on side. Poor customer service is an understatement and I can understand why you went elsewhere.

European 1.5 unit built in Bridgend?
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/ford-invest-181m-bridgend-plant-10132200

·
Registered
418 Posts
Elmo9141 said:
37000kms on mine with no problems and going on 100000km on my previous 1ltr ecoboost B-max also with no problems.... but saying that is probably the kiss of doom

You have been treated badly by the dealer but once Ford got involved they where pushing for you but still the dealer was not on side. Poor customer service is an understatement and I can understand why you went elsewhere.

European 1.5 unit built in Bridgend?
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/ford-invest-181m-bridgend-plant-10132200

USA 1.5 engines are built in Bridgend.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Seems to be Phil, Andy Barrat on BBC this morning saying it was a cooling problem and all customers to receive 100% repair costs and refunds if already paid for, see BBC 1 at 7.30 tonight

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. First post but I've only registered to give you some info as I no longer have the car.

My 65 reg 1.5 Zetec, manual also had an engine failure of number 2 cylinder at 2 years old and 12,000 miles. I bought it used 2 months previous. Short engine fit but it took 8 weeks. Couldn't fault the dealer who did the work. Bristol Street Motors, Morpeth, Northumberland. I did not buy the car from them.

Ford have not acknowledeged any problems with the 1.5 ecoboost only the well documented problems with the 1.0 and 1.6 ecoboost engines.

To date, I think 3 people on this forum have had engine failure of the 1.5 ecoboost. Not a lot, but how many owners actually know about or use this forum. The number of failures could be quite high.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Pity they took so long to help people, and its ok Andy Barratt saying we could have handled it differently, has he not realised that its a culture within Ford to not help and not acknowledge there is an issue, even when patently obvious when similar issues arise in other countries.

Ford do have an 'ittle do' attitude.

I raided a point on here with an ex Ford employee but that wasn't acknowledge unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
I see there is a new Customer service email.

[email protected]

Ford owner in the BBC report is an owner not far from, "They [Ford] have not based anything in my case on what's going on with us. There is no human element," she said.

Well she is spot on there. (Eh Ronnie?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ford (not the dealer) tried all ways not give me a new engine. The dealer wanted a new engine but Ford woiuld only supply a short engine. They even wanted the dealership to reuse the old oil pump in the sump but the dealer refused. That's why it took 8 weeks because of all the back and forth talks between the dealer and Ford.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts