Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium X 2.0 TDCI (140ps) Manual (Frozen White)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I know a few thread like this have popped up but not all end up with a fix or end to the story. I will be updating this with info as I find it. First please allow me to introduce the Kuga and the issues / current status. I am literally going to brain dump and tell the story of the Kuga since purchase, hopefully this will 1 help solve the issue in the end and2 help a few other folk.

Also I am doing a fair bit of driving with the GoPro rigged up on a head rest mount to se if I can catch it in the act. I swear the car knows when I do.

In July 2021 I picked up a 2014 Mk 2 Kuga Titanium X 2.0 TDCi Manual (140ps) with 87k on the clock from a local Kia dealers ( it was part Ex'd for a kia Sportage). Love it especially after driving a 2001 Fiesta Freestyle for the last 3-4 years.

After I picked it up I filled it up with BP Ultimate Diesel. It's had a mix of town, dual carriageway and M/Way driving plus some fault finding drives. 440 miles later and the fuel light is on with 52 mls till empty on the dash. Av mpg 41.3

Within the first week of driving it it randomly started to cut out at idle or at low rpm say setting of from lights. At first I thought it was me catching third or not giving it enough throttle but turns out that is not the case. This behaviours continued at random even when the tank had plenty of fuel. It also on one occasion cut out twice then after restart seemed hesitant to accelerate kind of like i was stomping on the throttle then taking my foot off in quick succession.

FYI the car does not have stop start fitted.

No warning lights or engine fault lights. The dials and lights work as I have tested them with the dial sweep / LED test mode.

The dealers took it in and had it for a day, they checked for fault codes but said nothing was showing. They ended up changing the fuel filter, new fiter, o rings and primed the system. I checked it for air and nothing is showing.

I understand a few things can cause this.

1. Air in the fuel system
2. Fuel Filter blocked or old
3. Fuel Pump Fault
4. Injectors
5. ERG
6. DPF
7. Cam Sensor fault or dropped on it's mount.
8. Loose battery terminals - I checked this and the voltage and it's all fine.
9. Mass Air Sensor

So far a replacement fuel filter has been tried and for the last week it has been fine with no hicups.

Today after helping a friend with a new van purchase I started the Kuga and it cut out. a few times but started fine after. Now at this point the fuel light was on ( it came on at 69 miles till empty). Restarted fine but later today it became hesitant again under throttle and when cursing at around 2k or under would kangaroo with a clicking noise (range till empty around 55)... acting again like i was on and off the throttle ( i was not).

Now to be fair I am not sure if these engines don't like being run so low on fuel, do they have a reserve. ?? So it could well be my fault re the hiccupping today.

I am going to monitor the cut outs after adding more fuel and see how it drives but it does feel like the issue is still present. Luckily the car is still covered by the Kia dealer and has extended warranty so they need to sort it or they can have it back.

So far I have had no warnings ( other than put fuel in 馃ぃ) on the dash.

If this is my bad with running it this low on fuel, I will hold my hands up but i don't think it should be behaving like this personally. Then again I could be wrong with not knowing these cars or engines yet.

I don't feel fully confident in the car yet and will let you guy's know as I figure out what is happening. I will date stamp the updates as I go.

Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
Hi Rick
Youve got an annoying problem there havnt you, good luck getting it sorted, sounds like an intermittent fuel blockage to me, possibly the filter. you're post is an expansion of the details of what you posted earlier in another post, not really necessary as you just needed to add to your existing post and not double up posts all be it with another heading, mods will probably sort it,
Keep us informed with updates and good luck

Reactions: davidoff and RBKUGA

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rick
Youve got an annoying problem there havnt you, good luck getting it sorted, sounds like an intermittent fuel blockage to me, possibly the filter. you're post is an expansion of the details of what you posted earlier in another post, not really necessary as you just needed to add to your existing post and not double up posts all be it with another heading, mods will probably sort it,
Keep us informed with updates and good luck
Thanks. Removed the duplicated post, will stick to this one as it has more detail.

Reactions: smartguy69

Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
Saved me a job although your other post I think was more of an introduction with an inclusion of the issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: 08/08//21

Car cut out again this AM.

Started then cut, started then cut, started then cut. I pumped the throttle a few times it started and ran for 5 seconds then cut. I got out and walked to work.

Went out in it this eve to put some fuel in it cut out multiple times even after adding fuel, makes for a **** drive. I am ringing the Kia dealers tomorrow to speak to the service department and will tell them they need to get in on a diag system for fords. I also emailed the sales rep and told them that if this is not resolved they will be getting the car back.

Also I recorded a run through the dash diag mode this evening( see video below) and of course it behaved during the video.

I think it is a fuel system related issue but I suppose it could be an electrical one also. I love the Kuga as a car but this one is beginning to piss me off now.

Just a thought but if your car thinks the engine temperature is too hot I am pretty sure it will cut out to save the engine. Same goes for the oil pressure solenoid and also exhaust temperature sender. If the car thinks the exhaust temp is too high it will cut out so it's not a fire risk. Nothing to panic about as it's a safety feature.

If you are into doing any of you own car repairs and handy with a laptop and can install software then it would be an idea to buy a modded ELM327 and download a programme called FORScan. You will be able to check your own fault codes then.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought but if your car thinks the engine temperature is too hot I am pretty sure it will cut out to save the engine. Same goes for the oil pressure solenoid and also exhaust temperature sender. If the car thinks the exhaust temp is too high it will cut out so it's not a fire risk. Nothing to panic about as it's a safety feature.

If you are into doing any of you own car repairs and handy with a laptop and can install software then it would be an idea to buy a modded ELM327 and download a programme called FORScan. You will be able to check your own fault codes then.
More possibilities fault wise. Thank you for the heads up.

I have just spoken to the dealers and they are calling me back as the earliest appointment currently is end of September. I have thought about FORScan but to be honest at this point with a still in warranty car, they can sort it. So far I have had it less than 1 month so it is still well within the dealers warranty, I also have an extended warranty (2 years).

They are getting 3 tried to sort this, after which I am done with it.

Reactions: smartguy69

Registered
It might be the pump, mileage is high enough to warrant a drop in its ability to hold pressure, easy to diagnose but costly, see if any of the shops near you have a spare working pump they could try and see if it solves the problem...

Reactions: RBKUGA

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It might be the pump, mileage is high enough to warrant a drop in its ability to hold pressure, easy to diagnose but costly, see if any of the shops near you have a spare working pump they could try and see if it solves the problem...
Thank you. Noted

Kia are going to send it to the local Ford dealers. Will update once I know more.
I do suspect it to be the fuel pump.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 3 phone calls to chase the Kia dealers it is now booked in to Trust Ford in Stockport for later this month. Let's see if they can figure out what is wrong with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update : 01 09 2021

After it being at the ford dealers for 8 Days. I have a further update.. this is after me going down to them in person because I got sick of chasing them on the phone.

The Kia dealers I bought it from are also crap at returning calls or keeping me up to date.

Kia said no fault codes found when they tested it on Diag. Ford gave me 3 sheets worth some historic some not, they cleared them and now need to take it on an extended drive to see if any return. So far when they have driven it for a short period it has not cut on them or hiccuped .. sodding typical.

I have just got back from Kia in Stockport after ripping them a new one. Let's see if Ford actually take it out tomorrow or Friday and see what they find.

At the moment it makes for a nice 拢9.5k street ornament.

Thanks for keeping us posted and hope your next post is a positive one with a successful result.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Update 6 Sep 2021

Ford have found no faults and the car has behaved during testing and drives for them. No repeat of fault codes.

As a result I am picking the car back up tomorrow and will see how it goes on. I have purchased an Autel ODBII reader should need to check for codes myself.

At this point it's a mystery. Could it of been air or something else in the fuel system? Or ( Ford said this) It may of been the result of the historic codes and the ECU thinking a fault was still present? No idea.

Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
Hope all goes well but wondering if post is a premonition as its dated in advance by 9 days馃馃馃

Reactions: RBKUGA

@RBKUGA - if the autel reader doesn't read both HS and MS CANBUS systems then it's not going to detect all fault codes stored on your car. Chances are it will only read one of the networks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope all goes well but wondering if post is a premonition as its dated in advance by 9 days馃馃馃
Whoops. That would be my **** typing.

Corrected. :)

Reactions: RonnieM

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@RBKUGA - if the autel reader doesn't read both HS and MS CANBUS systems then it's not going to detect all fault codes stored on your car. Chances are it will only read one of the networks.
It should ready them ok . If not it will read the replacement vehicle... hoping I can make that happen., but first I need to run this POS for a week or two and see if it behaves.

Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
You really want FORScan and a laptop, even with a 拢20 ELM adapter it's an amazing program.

I use Multi Make diagnostics at work as well as Main Dealer systems and also Fords IDS at home (which is truly horrific!), FORScan in comparison is a dream to use and a VERY powerful tool.

You can datalog mutiple modules at once.

As daft as it sounds I'd replace the Oil Pressure Sensor as a matter of course, these can cripple the car with no faults displayed..

Registered
Silly question, but has the fuel filter been changed. I had a Toyota that wouldn't rev over 2000rpm. It felt like it needed a mega fart to clear it through.
Fuel filter changed no more problems for 60k miles (company car and used to be changed at 140k)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Silly question, but has the fuel filter been changed. I had a Toyota that wouldn't rev over 2000rpm. It felt like it needed a mega fart to clear it through.
Fuel filter changed no more problems for 60k miles (company car and used to be changed at 140k)
Fuel filter has been changed by the dealers purchased from.

I have suggested a few possibilities to them but they don't seem all that interested. The Ford dealers they sent it to seemed to want to fix it and work with me, although they did break the cover for the ODB port and just leave it in the foot well. Made them replace it before leaving the dealers today.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts