Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

We have a 2013 Kuga automatic that has done 70,000 miles. We started getting transmission warnings and limited functionality warnings but before we could do much we lost all gears. I should say here that there has never been any grinding or unusual noises from the gears at all - only slight surges on changes and slight over-revving.

Normally we would turn the engine off, restart and all well for a while but no more.

We have run diagnostics and all errors seem to point to issues with the Transmission Control Module knowing what gear it is in. The stick changes the display correctly but the car stays in N no matter what.

The codes are:

P2849
P284B
P0700
U0415
P0949

Assuming this is confirmed to be electrical, is this a fix that can be done without removing the gearbox? Would we need a new transmission module? And, if so, what are the rough cost implications for a fix?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Keithmac is our expert on the powershift gearbox. He should pick your post up and respond.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Have you tried clearing the errors and performing a clutch and gear fork learn?.

The TCU is part of the Mechatronic unit, you have to either remove the front of the car (I left AC and radiator pipes connected) and swing the front crossmember out a foot to have enough room to remove the Mechatronic unit. Or take it out with gearbox as one assembly.

At 70,000 miles I would be surprised if your clutch dampers are not trash and the plastic particles have either blocked the internal filter or blocked the control pistons in the Mechatronic unit.

The gear shifter moves the rotary encoder inside the gearbox, the TCU reads this (requested function). The TCU reports gear position on the dash NOT the actual shifter inside the car.

There are magnets on the shift forks, it's plausible one may have fallen off but two is unlikely.

By the time you have chucked a Mechatronic unit at it at £1200 you are halfway to a full rebuild.

From what I've seen mechanical failure is far more likely than electronic.

Your rpm flair is indication of cluch problems.

This was my clutch damper at 60,000 miles (trash basically), I would not throw parts at yours without inspecting the clutch pack (gearbox out to do).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
This is the Mechatronic unit, if you accidentally damage a sensor tower taking it out it's scrap so go carefully!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the detailed response Keith.

I did read elsewhere that the most likely cause of a dead mechatronic unit was a broken piece flying into it so sounds like this is probably the case if 70k miles is past it for a Powershift.

We tried to clear errors and relearn but it failed which unfortunately ruled out software issues.

If the dash indicator is working correctly, does that suggest the unit is potentially ok but there's maybe something blocking the mechanics in the unit? 2 of the errors are for Shift Forks A and C.

I can't undertake any of the work personally even if not a gearbox out problem so this will have to head off to be sorted. At the moment we are looking at whatever fix can be done to give us a chance of a part-exchange - apparently if it is knackered but runs that's ok but if it doesn't run it no good no matter what the issue is (that was Arnold Clark mind you...).

Glasgow mechanic doesn't fix parts of the Powershift - only ever replaces whole thing which is possibly understandable. I guess even if its just a replacement clutch damper and the mechatronic unit has somehow survived once cleared of debris, it's still a gearbox out and new damper unit.

Once out of the car is it possible to know for sure if the mechatronic unit has survived?

Thanks again - really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Keith - just trying to work out our best course of action here.

Whilst I can't do the work we have guys here who are competent mechanics. Is it feasible for us to take out the gearbox, remove the clutch damper unit and open it to see if it's exploded? Then check the mechatronic unit for debris and reassemble to see if ok?

I'm thinking if the gearbox has to come out regardless then we could see if a fix can be done here, as even if it all looks beyond us, the car can head to the Ford mechanic in bits if had to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ford won't touch it.

London Automatics do a refurb for £1600 but all depends on the Mechatronic as to the end price.

You could take the Mechatronic out, strip and inspect for debris, took me a day to remove strip and test mine.

If you're paying a garage a days labour to do that and it doesn't fix it it's an expensive gamble.

Really if you've paid for gearbox removal, and refitting plus strip and inspect you aren't far of a proper refurbishment.

For two shift forks to be blocked it sounds like a mechanical failure, or plastic jamming the pistons.

If you have access to cheap labour then it's worth a go though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Keith.

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

At the moment we have to upgrade the car regardless, even if only to avoid issues later, so we have to look for a replacement no matter what we can do with this.

So I think, since we have plenty of space and time and potentially cheap labour, we will try to get the gearbox out and see if we can get lucky with a minimal fix.

Many thanks again for your input and I'll try to post the outcome here for anyone finding this thread in the future.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Good luck @britishmonkey.

I'd strip the Mechatronic unit and look for any debris, remove and split the cluch, check dampers and plates (you may need the special tool to refit it).

If both these look ok then you're into a full gearbox strip, check all shift fork magnets are present. There are plastic pistons for the forks make sure these are in good condition.

There are some lock-out pins for the forks, made sure you get these back in the right positions as they are different.

Personally for £30 I'd replace the internal filter regardless if you're that far in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts