Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can assist on this.

Have recently bought a 2011 Kuga for my wife and am struggling to connect her phone (an iPhone 8). It has the Blaupunkt NX touch screen Sat Nav audio unit.

When I try to connect the Bluetooth it says that I have to 'deband' another phone first. However, when I go to the list of paired phones it is empty and a message comes up saying that it 'can't connect to the phone unit'. This seems crazy, as if you lost your phone, for example, then you wouldn't be able to connect it to the audio system to remove it?

I have removed the two fuses that associate to the Audio unit (there is no fuse listed for the SYNC). I have also disconnected the battery. All of these have reset the unit (meaning I have had to type in the security code), but, I still have the same problem when it comes to trying to pair up her phone.

I have also done the factory reset on the audio unit.

I went to Ford to see if they could suggest anything but with fairly blank expressions they said it would cost £120 just to see if they could diagnose the issue.

Has anyone experienced this before? Or can anyone suggest anything else to try?

Any advice gratefully received...

Cheers

·
Registered
105 Posts
A quick check on Fords site for mobile compatibility; selecting Kuga 2011, it doesn't explicitly state which head unit, but Apple products stop at 6plus / IOS 8.1.2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quick check on Fords site for mobile compatibility; selecting Kuga 2011, it doesn't explicitly state which head unit, but Apple products stop at 6plus / IOS 8.1.2
Thank you for this - and I had seen it and wondered if this may be the issue.

However, would this apply when trying to see any existing phones connected? Or am I only getting that error message because I am trying to connect a non-compatible phone? I may try with an Android phone to see if the message is any different...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Im not familiar with the Ford head units, I replaced mine with a pioneer double din touchscreen the day I got my car.

Generally you should be able to sync more than one phone with a unit, so yeh maybe the error is because of compatibility issues

Also, there should be a list of previously saved phones on the head unit. Again, if there are none then my money is on the compatibility issue.

My 2p would be to replace the unit with something more up to date. My unit was the cheapest at halfords 3 years ago (£150) and im using latest ios 13

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply!

I am still struggling with this issue - I've tried to connect older IPhones and have had the same result (but they are all on iOS13 so likely to be the same issue). I haven't yet had chance to try with an Android device....it appears that everyone I know is an Apple user!?

Do you know if there are ways to update the software on a Ford? I know that this can be done with newer cars with the SYNC model...but this car does not have this (according to the Ford website)

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
It's not an issue with the SYNC it is the fact that the Apple implementation of Bluetooth is not fully Bluetooth SIG (Special Interest Group) compliant.

Add to that the fact the iOS 13.3 and 13.2.X have at least 91 'known issues' (according to the Apple forums) and you are on a hiding to nothing until Apple stop shirking their responsibility to actually release something that every other manufacturer provides (fully compliant Bluetooth).

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Thanks for this - so there is no solution until Apple pull their finger out??

It's taken them three months so far to even get out of 'denial' mode and admit there is an issue.

The 'stability' patch is due around the end of the month but it may or may not resolve the Bluetooth issue.

It's one reason I won't touch an iPhone as the iOS issues have been getting worse with each release.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again - thanks. I might wait to see if the next update improves it but if not I guess my only solution would be to replace the head unit with something that will connect...unless the Ford/Apple issue would overide this as well? I have an iphone and drive a Honda and there are zero connectivity issues...

·
Super Moderator
474 Posts
Again - thanks. I might wait to see if the next update improves it but if not I guess my only solution would be to replace the head unit with something that will connect...unless the Ford/Apple issue would overide this as well? I have an iphone and drive a Honda and there are zero connectivity issues...
That won't necessarily fix it, because the iPhone STILL won't be fixed... I used to support Apple desktop kit and vowed never to have any of their kit ever, because "they know best" -e.g. standard charging socket agreed at Mobile World Conference in about 2012 was micro USB, and changed to USB C a couple of years back. So you have to buy a £19 cable from Apple rather than (say) a £5 cable from Nokia... Although just searching for the price for this reply, it appears that the EU are finally taking them to court for not providing the agreed standard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's interesting - so they may have their hand forced! It is ridiculous that something as simple as this is not possible with the current setup! And I'm well and truly in the doghouse a with the wife as her only pre-requisite to a new car was that she could connect her phone to it! Haha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts