Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

2010 Kuga - ECU

8K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Kuga2010.Individual 
#1 ·
My 2010 Kuga last week developed a fault on the dash "Power Steering Malfunction". Starts ok but takes ages to switch off. Once on, all of the dash lights (abs, handbrake etc) remain on. Steering is slightly heavier than usual but all works. Ford today have said the ECU needs replacing at £800. I had thought of upgrading it anyway, but cant now as cant seel it with the fault and also spending out that amount of money to not actually gain anything cost wise is a bitter pill. Can ECU's be bought and put on by independent garages I wonder? Or is this confusing as presume everything on the computer will need resetting? Sorry, I'm a tech novice and so confused.

#2 ·
A genuine Mk.1 ECU is around £400 plus fitting plus programming, so £800 is, sadly, not too far off the beat. A good independent will save you some cash but ensure that they have done a Kuga ECU and reprogramming before.

HOWEVER.....before you do anything, get the battery fully tested both idle and under load as a failing battery can throw up all kinds of weird faults including steering issues.

#3 ·
Hi Nigel - thank you for taking the time to come back to me - this is such wrong timing for me. The battery has been tested and was good I was told. I was going to exchange it for a new one, but actually now am stuck as whatever money spent on it wont be recovered.. really do appreciate your advice, thanks. Jason

#4 ·
There are a few posts on the steering wheel malfunction it happened to me once,,this what I wrote on one of the posts.
That happens once to me when I had a focus estate,,I was coming out of a fuel station early one morning on the way to work,I could not turn the steering wheel,and had that message showed up,I turned the car off then back on again,the focus was six months old at the time,I had it for 8 years and it only happened that once.I mentioned it to a neighbour who also had a focus and he said it happened to him once as well.I took It to the dealer I bought it from,but couldn’t find anything wrong.both myself and the neighbour were going less than 5 miles an hour.The dealer told me that i was the second customer to tell them about the incident.I was wondering the same about it could be fatal as I was about to join the M4 motorway.I went slow all the way to work.as I said it never happened again.i would get it checked out ASAP.

Ross

#6 ·
No problem,,I was going suggest the same thing as NigelB but as you have already had the battery tested as it’s good,,not sure what else to suggest,,apart from getting a new ECU.
Ross

#8 ·
A thought occurs and will cost nothing to check.

Grab and not down your radio code.
Disconnect the battery
Leave it overnight
Reconnect

This often resets an 'errant' BCM and, you never know, may have some effect on a wayward ECU

Give it a whirl

#14 ·
Got car back and tried the battery disconnect option overnight. Thought it was ok when I reconnected but then within a minute fault was back. So have taken it back to Ford and agreed the £800 to have a replacement ECU. Gutted at the cost but needs to be done even if I sell or part exchange - now the wait of a week for the part to arrive! Really appreciate your help and advise - have seen a black 2019 ST so need to see how it all pans out with costs! Cheers, J

#12 ·
Have you checked the passenger footwell for any signs of water leaking in.
This is a very common problem on the Mk1, you will need to lift the carpet to be really sure.
If water has got in through cracked sealant it causes lots of problems as it can get into the fuse box.

#16 ·
Just an update - Ford had my car for 3wks. They said it was a power steering module issue and quoted £800. I had to agree. I collected my car Saturday - Sunday the Power Steering malfunction light was back on and now garage suggest the car goes back for further tests as after all it could be an ECU issue and have quoted another £1,250 to have this replaced. Is it me, or is someone taking the Mickey?

#18 · (Edited)
Yes I think they are taken the urine as well,if they diagnose one thing,then they say it’s another thing after you have paid out once someone there is not doing a proper test.they were at fault for not doing it correctly in the first place.I would tell them o.k it if costs £1,250 I would pay the extra £450 cause it was not my fault you got it wrong in the first place.not pay an extra £1,250.Or as NigelB as suggested take it to a good independent garage.Good luck which ever you choose.

I bet they never done a proper test,,you told them the problem so i would take a guess and they fixed the said problem by what you told them and what it said on the display and assumed that was the case,and not done a test,,I might be wrong,,but I think that’s what had happened...so no test carried out.they should have checked the ECU.as well.

Ross

#21 ·
Thanks Ross -
You shouldn't have to be clever enough.

I trust my local independent without question, although in London we are a tight community and if he started the 'throw parts at it approach' then he would soon be out of business. The fact that they are still trading after 75 years (founder sold it to his son, who sold it to the head mechanic who, in turn, sold it to the head mechanic). shows that there are competent independents out there and I hope that you can find one locally if the dealer insists on spending your money for you.
Wheres you're mechanic 😉

#20 ·
You shouldn't have to be clever enough.

I trust my local independent without question, although in London we are a tight community and if he started the 'throw parts at it approach' then he would soon be out of business. The fact that they are still trading after 75 years (founder sold it to his son, who sold it to the head mechanic who, in turn, sold it to the head mechanic). shows that there are competent independents out there and I hope that you can find one locally if the dealer insists on spending your money for you.

#23 ·
Thanks Nigel! I've got a guy from clickmechanic who seems good this evening. Has tried replacing the battery so far, which cleared a couple of faults but then they came back again - he is talking to his pal from Ford tomorrow so 🤞 thank you.

#26 ·
The speedo/ dash cluster on the MK1'S give all sorts of trouble, they use it to terminate the CanBus from what I've read.

They can show all sorts of random faults but they are spurious codes.

Worth a look, from what I've read it's dry/ failing solder joints on the circuit board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.