Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Hoping someone may be able to help as it seems most on here are going to be more knowledgeable than the local Ford garage I have been dealing with. Have a 2010 2.5t Kuga where initially the red alarm light started intermittently flashing with a pinging noises and message saying key not in car. Initially didnt think much of it but replaced the battery thinking this was all it was. The next time we drove it same thing happened but this time the climate control unit was flickering on and off as was the radio reception. Then the engine would not turn off. Read a couple of similar posts on here about disconnecting battery to reset which we done and temporarily worked. About a week later all issues came back this time + additional ones. I checked all electrical faults whilst this was happeing and found the following items all tripping in and out - read windscreen heater (but not front?), climate control, radio, rear lights. parking sensors. There were multiple relays clicking both in the passenger compartment fuse box and also the engine fuse box.

I have checked the battery and alternator both of which checked out ok. I also checked for any signs of water ingress to the fuse boxes but no signs of any. Booked it in with Ford on advice from a couple of similar threads to check and upgrade software as well as getting full Ford fault read outs. Ford found nothing on faults listed on their software and also did not upgrade software as they said this was not the issue. They listed several items and said a trial and error approach to replacing them which I am not happy with.

If anyone has any clues it would be very much appreciated - I was in discussions with an auto electrician but unfortunately at this time he is unable to come out to us.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
In order

Battery
Alternator
Water ingress into the passenger footwell (either from a windscreen leak or cracked/missing 'mastic' where body panels meet) affect the power distribution module/fuses.
Corrosion behind the power distribution module/fusebox

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I echo what Nigel says. Alternator can be intermittent. What and how was the battery and alternator tested?

Before the change of format and home for KOC, Gazwats who was our main administrator was going to try and pull toghether all the posts where there was an indication of module(s) failure on MK1 Kuga's and were attributed to alternator failure as a sticky. But his name appears as one of the admin guys but has not been on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - had a new battery (about 6 months or so ago), alternator was checked by garage who did not find a fault, although at the time they had it - it was typically having a good day and not displaying any of the intermittent faults. Have been driving around with the multimeter in the car so that I could check for any anomalies drops or spikes whilst it was playing up - Eventually got the chance to check this on a bad day. Voltage from alternator was between 13.9 & 14.2 which I believe to be ok. However did notice a single click coming from the alternator vicintiy and slight drop off in revs coming on a 30 second loop - this only happens when the electrics are playing about. Think may just get the alternator changed and hope for the best!
Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
In some cases the alternator has set on fire suggesting the bridge rectifier has failed partial short circuit so putting a S/C across the battery but not sufficient to blow the 150 amp battery protection fuse. When the problem occurs see if you can feel the alternator temperature.

·
Registered
324 Posts
another major fault on this platfrom is dry solder joints in the speedo assembly.. (same issue on focus's of teh same era).. sounds like you tick all of those solder boxes.. do a google search for FOCUS DASH REPAIRS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update for you - found a garage still open that would change alternator, went to start it and everything was absolutley dead. Checked voltage on battery which was reading around 5v. Took battery out and attempted to charge and will not chrage past 7.5v so will replace the battery straight away. Despite all intermittent issues never had any start up issues or battery warning lights on so as a guess (completely uneducated!) would imagine something has lead to the battery failure which again in my simple mind does seem to point to an issue with alternator. So will change battery and re-book the alternator replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts