Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well done, great write up and pics, you make a hard job look easy.

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
This virus lockdown is starting to cost me a fortune....
My existing induction kit while not in bad condition, could have done with a freshen up... a quick scan on the Focus RS owners page identified that a LOT of focus owners go down the RAMAIR group A route. This being a large filter that happens to fit like a glove into the space behind the NS headlight, this also being the coldest part under bonnet (especially when the car is being driven).
A quick loosen of the old K&N jubilee clip had the old filter out and the shiny new item installed in under 5mins with the correct adaptor ring.
I’ve ordered some flat steel bar (25mm x 2mm) which I’ll make a stand off from for the new filter to stop rubbing on bulkhead / cables when the car engine is flexing when in motion... soon as it’s delivered I’ll get on it.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Lock down is saving me a fortune. Wife had jobs planned for me for next week which I can't do as I can't get the bits and we had planned to go away next weekend which isn't going to happen. I was just a day or so from booking when I saw what was happening in Italy and thought I best wait. Glad I did now. I guess I am lucky as I work from home full time anyway and apart from not going to see the kids and grandkids on a weekend nothing much has changed and it's amazing how quick I can get the food shopping done without wondering where the wife has got to.

I see that Wuhan has come out of lockdown now but wonder how that's going to work as the way that I see it is it just needs one person to have this awful virus and the whole thing starts again. Is there something we haven't been told like the virus has a use by date.

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
When I bought my Kuga, I always knew that it had marks on the plastic bumper trims.. I suspect this was down to being rubbed with a paintwork polishing mop (or similar?)..
Basically some big white marks on the plastic that god himself couldn’t remove.. this was on front passenger wheel Arch, both rear arches, bottom of all doors…£100 to an online breakers had all the new parts delivered, they’re a little marked… but better than they were by a million miles.

The Rear arch trims are simply clipped in place and pull off with a gentle tug… these were easy.

The door trims I’ll sort this weekend, they’re double sided tape efforts so I’ll have to remove the old tape first… clean up the bodywork with white spirit.. heat the panel slightly with a hairdyer.. and push into position one at a time.

·
3,083 Posts
I always knew that it had marks on the plastic bumper trims.. I suspect this was down to being rubbed with a paintwork polishing mop (or similar?)..
A pencil eraser can be used to remove polish from black trim.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I've been off the forum for a while and enjoyed your Youtube clips showcasing exhaust noise, sounds awesome.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I’d decided to look at tidying up the cars brakes this week, basically just a clean up with some soap and a touch up of the paint where chipped...
The front disks on the outside face looked perfect... inside however they looked worn!!

As I’ve had the callipers off recently, it was a quick 30min transfer for the old disk off and new disks on.

Offside (drivers) complete.

And the Near Side (passenger).

The dark coating that’s on the disks is there to prevent rust etc... the area that the brake pad works on will clean off to shiny silver after the first 5-10miles of use. I’ll go for a drive later

·
3,083 Posts
What brand/ model discs are they Martin and how were the old slotted discs?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
What brand/ model discs are they Martin and how were the old slotted discs?
Hi David, good to hear from you!
original (slotted) disks were these: Tarox G88 The new items are from Brembo at about half the price of the Tarox items...

I hadn’t realised that the setup I’d bought is now 20months since I’d installed them.!!
They were second hand when I purchased them (along with the calipers / carriers etc) from a Focus ST2 (XR5 where you are).. the risk was that the disks and calipers didn’t fit so I didn’t want to spend big money making a costly mistake.
For what I paid on the test mule setup... they’ve worked out really well. The new brembo disks will last way beyond my ownership of the car. The yellow stuff pads are about 70% worn I’d estimate, so plenty life left.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
The first ‘door’ trim removed and replaced. To remove, grab hold of the trim at one end and gently pull away... the tape should give way and the trim pulls free.

when you re-attach the new trim, use good double sided tape. I went for 7mm VHB (very high bond) from 3M.
Also rub down the car with white spirit to remove any wax/contamination.
Tip here- make sure you login up the trim so that it doesn’t catch with the other door
when opening!!!

front door trim is next up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
MOT day ...... that'll be a 100% pass with no advisories.
always good to see!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Today saw the arrival of a silicon, Turbo to Crossover pipe from PSH silicon hoses (4ply, 6mm item). This is a relatively common upgrade on the Focus RS but has the reputation of being a PIG to get to fit correctly.. the standard pipe is filled with baffles a bit like an exhaust's construction.. This item is straight through so should in theory, provide a bit more induction noise...

Here be the new item....
New T-C Silicon Pipe.jpg

The old item is right at the back of the engine in a very awkward position..
https://youtu.be/MRxcUHK8HqA
First job is to remove the window wiper arms (15mm socket undoes the retaining nuts) then remove the scuttle panels which are a T40 Torx. This gives you better (well, a bit) of access to remove the turbo to Crossover pipe.
After the above, you remove the crossover hard pipe which is held on by 2x jubilee clips (7mm socket) and in position by 2(of) 10mm bolts.
This leaves you with:
Old T-C Pipe.jpg

Now it gets much more difficult... you have to feel down the old pipe (words that I never thought that I'd type on a forum)... and undo the 7mm bolt at the turbo.. I had to clamber on top of the engine to get access...
Old pipe out..the new pipe with a bit of spit, slipped on no problem.. again awkward access for tightening the 7mm jubilee clip socket but persevere and it'll go on.
Old T-C Pipe 2.jpg

and the internal baffles:

Old T-C Pipe 3.jpg

put everything above back on....Do the crossover pipe FIRST to save any crap / debris from the scuttle panel or window wipers falling into the new pipe.
New Turbo to Crossover Pipe Installed

Car sounds a lot better when on the move .. I just dont have any videos of this!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Well folks... its that time again.... weather was dry and fine so it was off with the summer rims and on with the winters...
The white stuff, do your worst...!

·
3,083 Posts
LOL exactly 180 degrees out of phase with Australia. I've been thinking about refitting my 19" wheels, but potential kerb damage scares me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
LOL exactly 180 degrees out of phase with Australia. I've been thinking about refitting my 19" wheels, but potential kerb damage scares me.
to be fair.. Id be scared of kerbing your wheels too!!! One of my favourite wheels along with Kahn Cosworths.!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Having lost the engine in my last car due to a faulty spark plug, I now change the plugs every 2years irrespective of the mileage driven.
As such, these Mk2 Focus RS items arrived today from Matt Lewis motorsport, a very reasonable £42 for the set delivered.

They’re also the recommended upgrade for a mapped 2.5T Volvo unit so should be perfect.

if the weathers dry, I’ll get them changed over .

·
3,083 Posts
Are they a colder spark plug? That's something recommended to do on the 2.0l EcoBoost if modding them- but as mine is running the standard tune I haven't bothered.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Are they a colder spark plug? That's something recommended to do on the 2.0l EcoBoost if modding them- but as mine is running the standard tune I haven't bothered.
Yes.. Exactly that David, one step colder than standard. You're 100% spot on here. Once the car is tuned, its recommended to upgrade the plugs to match, hence why I went for these. As you say, standard tune = standard plugs!

141 - 160 of 179 Posts