Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Hi there matey hope that you're well, thanks for that. Indeed, the Kuga is working and performing well at the minute plus the ability to scare a few larger marquee names.. My local cayenne GTS is NOT a fan of the kuga ... ?

With interest thread.

Does this mean that across the border Kuga MK1 owners are now being challenged to see if they all perform like yours Martin. smile:

DASHCAM, or should that be REARCAM footage awaited.

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
ah thats good to hear, ok ill look to add this to my mod list of things to get done :)

Seems like we have very similar tastes in mods too :), its good to see the progress you are making keep it up!

btw, thanks for your exhaust pics! I got my custom 3" catback exhaust fitted few weeks back, I'll post up some pics later, but man it was soo **** loud and it also really bad exhaust drone between 1800-3000rpm. To tackle this drone issue, I ended up fitting a helmholtz resonator to cancel out the drone at the 130Hz range and I'm now loving it, it almost sounds stock when cruising around.
no probs!! glad the pics helped... I just checked out your thread, very impressive. Your car looks to be in great condition and top class as far as maintenance and responsible enthusiast ownership goes. For my own car, teh only oter change I've been considering is to change the front calipers / discs out. My only reservation in doing this chnage is: IS THE MOD ACTUALLY NEEDED??? I'd have to say 'no'... the car is never driven in a manner that would expose the existing brakes to fade / heat... It would purely be a cosmetic change... I'd looked at the calipers / discs from a focus ST, second hand these are around £300.
I hate the accessibility and availability that eBay provides... wasted many a '£' on there....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
To help fill the gap between my standard disks and the 19” rims. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a BBK ( Big Brake Kit) suitable for the Kuga.

The expense of a 6pot K-Sport set up (around £800 second hand) put me off that route... so I ended up managing to get hold of an excellent full setup from a chap who went down that very route with their Foucs ST!!

My new kit now consists of 320mm Tarox G88 discs, yellow stuff pads and some pretty fine conditioned ST Calipers.

Thing I need to do now:
- Clean up the very light surface corrosion on the disks.
- Clean up, re-grease and repaint the calipers. They’ll be re-done in black.
- Fit new braided brake lines and full brake fluid change.

I’ve already cracked all bleed nipples and nuts... just need some reasonable weather to get started. ??

Attachments

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,503 Posts
Martin, FYI I've read the Kuga Mk2 has the same front calipers as the Focus ST. Have you compared your stock Mk1 calipers to the ST's- I assume they're different?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Martin, FYI I've read the Kuga Mk2 has the same front calipers as the Focus ST. Have you compared your stock Mk1 calipers to the ST's- I assume they're different?
morning, I'd actually read that too! Threw me for a bit.... When I looked up the parts and more importantly the interchangeability of the brakes, I found that the different platforms do indeed use different items. Disk wise the Kuga 2.5T uses 300mm discs, Focus ST/RS uses 320mm.
Calipers are correspondingly different between the two also. Focus items are substantially larger..

I've attached a pic of the new disks / red stuff pads i fitted when I bought the car...Vs... the New items for comparison.

It could be that the Focus mk3 uses the same setup as the mk2 Kuga???

When I get around to starting to refurbish and change these over, I'll document and post up pics / progress on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
First step in refurbishing the BBK, discs into an oil catch pan and 5 litres of white vinegar to help remove the light surface corrosion.
I’ve refurbished many brakes previously, however I’ve never tried this method so NO IDEA how it’ll turn out?

Plan is to steel wool the discs tomorrow and paint up the hub parts. The disk face itself will clean as the pads engage...

Let’s see how this turns out!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Interesting method, I would have thought an acidic solution would increase the corrosion on cast iron, however I can be wrong.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Do you ever use KuRust Martin?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Its a rust stopper/treatment by Hamerite.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Sorry about quick reply above, had an errand to run.

I'm sure others on here have heard of it, and I've used for anything that has rusted and requires cleaning up, priming and painting. This summer cleaned and rubbed down the inside face of my winter wheels which had some rust spots, treated the areas with Ku-rust which performs some kind of Ionic reaction and turns black and then one coat of smooth Black Hamerite. Hopefully goof for good now.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Or good for good even :(

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Sounds really good. I’ve just looked it up and had I already not purchased the zinc spray, I’d have definitely opted for that option as a base layer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have changed my lights to Led, with basically no modifications required.
See attached receipt for the lights I brought. You can save $ if you opt for other brands, but these are better quality & have a longer warranty. These plug straight in, but you just have to enlarge the center hole of the high & low beam factory Bulb holders to fit these in (the driving light bulbs fit straight in). The transformers (about 50mm x 25mm) have to be mounted out side the head light housing, so a slit has to be made in the rubber headlight sealing boots to pass the plugs thru. Before you install them, seal the boots up with BLACK Carbond Vehicle Silicone to prevent the entry of any water.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Converting Kuga MkI Headights Driving Lights to LED

I have changed my lights to Led, with only simple basic modifications required (no Re-Wiring - just plug & go).

See attached receipt for the lights I brought.
You can save $ if you opt for other brands, but these are better quality & have a longer warranty. These plug straight in, but you just have to enlarge the center hole of the high & low beam factory Bulb holders to fit these in (the driving light bulbs fit straight in). The transformers (about 50mm x 25mm) have to be mounted out side the head light housing, so a slit has to be made in the rubber headlight sealing boots to pass the plugs thru. Before you install them, seal the boots up with BLACK Carbond Vehicle Silicone to prevent the entry of any water.

I Have found them to be much clearer & easier on your eyes when doing a lot of night driving

Attachments

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Have you a link to the actual product, I'm dubious you'll get anywhere near the light output required for s kit at that price but, lets see.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
First light coats of high temperature black paint going onto the ST calipers.

I warmed the calipers to 95oF / 35oC for 40mins in the oven to allow the metal to build up some internal heat.
This should help the paint set... the end finish will fully cure when the brakes heat under use.
5x Coats are being applied every 15mins.

I’ve also purchased new slider pins and rubbers along with ‘red grease’ to ensure smooth operation.
Also found out after checking that the ST braided lines that were supplied with the callipers are too short by 40mm so a New set has been ordered to replace.
A gas space heater has the ambient temperature in my garage around 26degrees... much better than the freezing wilderness that lies on the other side of the garage door

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
I have changed my lights to Led, with only simple basic modifications required (no Re-Wiring - just plug & go).

See attached receipt for the lights I brought.
You can save $ if you opt for other brands, but these are better quality & have a longer warranty. These plug straight in, but you just have to enlarge the center hole of the high & low beam factory Bulb holders to fit these in (the driving light bulbs fit straight in). The transformers (about 50mm x 25mm) have to be mounted out side the head light housing, so a slit has to be made in the rubber headlight sealing boots to pass the plugs thru. Before you install them, seal the boots up with BLACK Carbond Vehicle Silicone to prevent the entry of any water.

I Have found them to be much clearer & easier on your eyes when doing a lot of night driving

Nothing at all on their site about CE or UK approvals, I would be VERY wary come MOT time.

61 - 80 of 214 Posts