·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
A couple of maintenance jobs coming up next... the cheap brake discs I'd bought 18x months ago are starting to warp ever so slightly, braking now induces a small amount of steering wheel shake.
Nothing else for it but to replace the disks.... some pagid items via Eurocarparts to the rescue..

Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Tire Wheel

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

The sharper eyed among you will have noticed that there's about an 8mm lip on the old disc surface that doesn't appear to be getting worn by the pads.... I didnt have time to investigate last nigt but I'll check them out this weekend... best case, its a loose slider bolt and the pad isn't sitting 100% square.... worst case its a new caliper!

I'm also going to replace the aircon compressor next week.. new compressor / O rings / Dryer ordered up for that one. Its much more involved than a simple disk change so I'll post up some photos to show what you need to do and consider.

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,446 Posts
the cheap brake discs I'd bought 18x months ago are starting to warp ever so slightly, braking now induces a small amount of steering wheel shake.
Martin are you sure it's not from brake pad material being deposited on the disc's surface? That's apparently quite common. (But if your doing it yourself it's probably more economical to just fit new discs/ pads! Instead of paying for machining.) I need to do the front rotors on the wife's car for the same reason.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Martin are you sure it's not from brake pad material being deposited on the disc's surface? That's apparently quite common. (But if your doing it yourself it's probably more economical to just fit new discs/ pads! Instead of paying for machining.) I need to do the front rotors on the wife's car for the same reason.
it might well be that David,it probbaly is the more I think about it....a quick skim would certainly have solved the problem....

with the PAGID disks only costing £90.. and a skim costing say £60 and my time in dropping the disks off, having no car, re-collecting etc... its a better option to just throw away and replace!

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,331 Posts
Did having the drilled discs have any benefit or just a gimmick for something like the Kuga.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Martin are you sure it's not from brake pad material being deposited on the disc's surface?....
Indeed, you hear "warped discs" so often, one might think rotors are made out of cheese or everyone's driving like a lunatic (or Colin McRae 😈 ). About 90% of the cases it's just pad material deposited onto the rotors due to heat, which produces an uneven surface, hence the shaking when braking.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Indeed, you hear "warped discs" so often, one might think rotors are made out of cheese or everyone's driving like a lunatic (or Colin McRae 😈 ). About 90% of the cases it's just pad material deposited onto the rotors due to heat, which produces an uneven surface, hence the shaking when braking.
I wonder if brake cleaner and a brillo pad would have sorted it out!?

201 - 208 of 208 Posts