Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I've a 15 year old C MAX 1.8 tdci with 154,000 on the clock which really could do with changing (it's only the rust that's a problem). Quite fancy a Kuga which needs to be a 9/10 year old one for financial reasons. Newer would be nice but have a budget to stick to. Am looking at a 2015 (I think, not newer for sure) 140 bhp 2.0 diesel FWD (51k) Zetec and also a 2013 163 bhp AWD 2.0 diesel (28k!!) Titanium X.

My question is, will the 163bhp AWD be much thirstier than the 140 bhp FWD driven in the same way. Am sure they'll consume more diesel than my car even if the technology has improved. I tow a caravan and the C MAX tows it OK although either of the Kuga's are going to be superior tow cars for sure. And I don't actually need AWD but buying s/h obviously you can't choose exactly what you want.
Both Kuga's are manual.
Thanks in anticipation.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
Hi @Zapsnap and welcome to the forum.

A 2015 Kuga would be 6 years old so not sure if that was a typo.

A 2015 Kuga should have the newer engine which is euro 6 with the 150PS engine same as mine and not the 140. My car is a 15 plate registered in March and was built in January 2015. If you have come across a 2015 car with a 140 engine then it has either been a late registration as the 150 was available in 2014 or advertised incorrectly. If you PM me the registration number I can check the build on Etis Ford. There is a chance that Ford may have continued with the older engine in the Zetec as Euro 6 didn't officially come until September 2015.

A 2013 Kuga will have either the 140 or 163 Euro 5 engine.

The Titanium X will be a huge improvement of the specification over the Zetec but with just 28k on the clock I would be wanting the seller to be able to prove the mileage. There should not be any interior wear with a mileage that low. A tell tale sign would be the side supports on the driver's seat. After seeing mileage correction software in use I am a little sceptical of very low mileage cars unless I see written proof.

Manual is good as the 163 powershift has been known to fail.

Fuel wise my Kuga sits between the two on power and currently is reading just over 40mpg around the city which drops to 37 in the winter. It's not much better on a run as it's a tall square block and will do about 42 at about 80ish and 44/45 on runs on A roads.

Two keys is a must when buying a Kuga and check there isn't any water in the spare wheel well.

If you want me to check out both cars on Etis then PM the registration number. Go to you avatar at the top right and click conversions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info - much appreciated. Meant 7 to 8 year old and yes, 2015 is only 6 years old! I think it's a 2015 but will check. Don't have reg number for that vehicle but do for the 2013 car. Its being sold by a Ford franchised dealer so would expect it to be genuine. Or am I being naive??
Is having water in the spare wheel well a common fault? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
Thanks for the info - much appreciated. Meant 7 to 8 year old and yes, 2015 is only 6 years old! I think it's a 2015 but will check. Don't have reg number for that vehicle but do for the 2013 car. Its being sold by a Ford franchised dealer so would expect it to be genuine. Or am I being naive??
Is having water in the spare wheel well a common fault? Thanks again.
No worries, I did read your post a few times and was trying to do the sums in my head lol. Ford Franchise dealer seems like a respectable place to buy a car.

Some Kuga owners have had issues of water seeping in. Mine is dry but it seems to be a problem on some cars throughout the years. If the dealer has done their inspection and valeting properly it should have been picked up. If it hasn't and you find water then I would be looking for another car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did look at a MK 1 Kuga a while ago which had water in the spare wheel well now I think about it.
Am grateful for your input - thank you.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,799 Posts
I don’t tow a caravan but just like the AWD version for surety etc.

Since they are both manual, then the AWD would be my choice. Had it been an auto then more research on the year/model Ford upgraded the Gearbox internals.

Less mpg of course but there has to be some form of payment to gain in other areas.

There are other costs, ie tyres but I’d want the best for lugging a huge home around.

Enjoy the choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The caravan isn't that huge! Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

Anyone else that has experience of the 140 bhp v the 163 re mpg?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts