Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone requiring a 12v power supply for Satnav's etc which is ignition controlled then spitfire231 posted this back in March 2009......

spitfire231 said:
I have just hardwired my road angel and have used an ignition live
from the loom that comes from the headlight switch the wire is a green
and red and is a bit thicker than the rest of them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Done this mod at weekend for my TomTom 12v adaptor, can I just add there are two screws holding this main panel on ( on mine anyway) one to the far lower left and a bit awkward to see and reach. Otherwise a perfect mod. Tom Tom swiches off and on with ignition switch which is what was required. Why did Ford not put a 12v socket in this area somewhere just for this reason. TomTom sits up on dash in right hand corner behind pillar.Very neat.

Note Added July 2010.
As you can see from photos the TomTom actually rests on dash top so the weight is not actually on screen sucker fixing. I fixed a piece of self adhesive foam (Draft Excluder) to the lower edge of TomTom just to stop from any rubbing etc on dash top. Been in place since last November and has not came off screen once. Make sure screen is absolutely clean before fixing.
Edited by: eddiek

·
Registered
296 Posts
eddiek,
Nice neat job, thanks for sharing. Do you have any trouble with the bracket coming loose when you use the heated screen?

Ursus

·
Registered
112 Posts
Top job there eddiek. You got nay closeups and instructions on how you did that as I want to do the same for my TomTom. Having the lead drape down into the 12v socket is pants. Did you modifiy the 12v lead that came with the TomTom?

Cheers...

·
Registered
111 Posts
eddiek Great job. Did you take those photos on Tracy Island? Looks like TB1 wass out on a mission and you borrowed the hangar

Regards

' Kruza

·
Registered
302 Posts
Kuga49 , No mods to TomTom cable required. I installed a 12v socket behind the lower dash panel, wired to the Green/Red thicker wire at headlamp switch and the other to an earth point. The TomTom cable just plugs in to this and switches off and on with the ignition.Sorry no more pics, spitfire231 has some up regarding removing panels etc.

KugaKruza photos were actually taken in my workshop so look a bit strange with objects hanging on the walls.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have a look at pics it shows the location of the screws which are to be removed. Also the glove box light wire and switch wire to be diconected.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
How easy would it have been for Ford to have fitted a fused 12V outlet in that (otherwise useless) centre depression up on the dashboard? They could have even fitted an Audio I/P and a USB socket up there at the same time - far more convenient that way back in the armrest storage box.

They could also have incorporated two covered channels leading to either side of the top surface of the dashboard - into which cables could then have been run to equipment mounted at the base of the A-pillars.

If it cost them £10 extra per car, and they charged us £100 for the privilege, I think most of us would have paid just for the convenience.

Cheers,
Niall

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

Just to say thanks for posting this how to....

Followed the pic/instructions to install my speed camera thingy box.

Took 1 & half hours start to finish being carefull not to damage any of the plastic panels.

Wounderfull forum this thanks again.

Regards

Trev.
Edited by: TrevCrane

·
Registered
755 Posts
I bought a 3m length of usb cable from Maplins and a usb adapter for the
12v supply plug by the arm rest then ran the cable through the tunnel
across where curtlyb had his power adapter and up to the A pillar.Same idea as Curtlyb but no cutting into the vehicles wiring.Mini A usb for tomtom and standard usb for adapter.I could have picked up the usb supply in the armrest but have a usb stick with the music on in that.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Very interesting post, tried to thread a lead to my Tom Tom via the centre dash top pocket yesterday but had to give up in the end. I couldn't get the wire through with the Tom Tom plug on the end.
I'm going to have another go when I receive the Tom Tom hard wire power lead that you can buy on e.bay. But threadle it the other way with the hard wire open end which should make it a whole lot easier. then wire it as per this thread.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I did it in the end, after removing the rubber shelf in the centre dash pocket. I drilled a hole in the plastic tray and threaded the lead down through the dash and picked up a supply from the 12v plug by the armrest. I did install an inline on/off switch on the transmission tunnel on the passengers side.
I now have no leads dangelling down accross the dash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts