Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the 1.5L EcoBoost has:

• 150 and 176HP in Kuga
  • 165HP in Mondeo and Galaxy
  • 182HP in Focus
  • 200HP in Fiesta ST
Is it only limmitted by software? Does Fiesta ST has a bi-turbo or a single turbo charger? Any other difference...?

·
Registered
779 Posts
There isn't only one 1.5EB, there are actually two different engines, with 4 (older) and 3 (newer) cylinders. The older models (Kuga) have the 4cyl version, the Fiesta ST and newer Focus have the 3cyl one. The older 1.5lt 4cyl is actually a slightly smaller version of the even older 1.6lt 4cyl Ecoboost.

Other than this one -but major- difference, there are almost no differences between different power output versions of the same engine (such as Kuga's 120, 150 and 180HP power levels), it's just a matter of different PCMs (boost levels and fuel/timing maps).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There isn't only one 1.5EB, there are actually two different engines, with 4 (older) and 3 (newer) cylinders. The older models (Kuga) have the 4cyl version, the Fiesta ST and newer Focus have the 3cyl one. The older 1.5lt 4cyl is actually a slightly smaller version of the even older 1.6lt 4cyl Ecoboost.

Other than this one -but major- difference, there are almost no differences between different power output versions of the same engine (such as Kuga's 120, 150 and 180HP power levels), it's just a matter of different PCMs (boost levels and fuel/timing maps).
Thank @The Ace, I get that part 3 vs 4 cylinder.

However, I still wonder wether the difference between a 120HP and 180HP is merely PCM wise. What about the turbo charger size? What about the exhaust? What about the air filter? More importantly what about the injector heads?

I can hardly believe that 60HP difference is purely software wise. I'm not saying "I don't believe", as I've no clue TBH.

Any info on that?

·
Registered
779 Posts
As far as the Kuga is concerned, it's actually only just that, different PCM settings. Turbo, pump, injectors, filters, exhaust, cats etc are identical. They are more than adequate to support the maximum factory power output.

Another similar example which I have done some research is the 1.0EB on the Fiesta and Focus: the 125HP has a different turbo core (just different material, not size or A/R) and the 140HP has a different (stronger) head gasket. That's why the 100HP remaps to 140HP in minutes with zero problems and no longevity issues.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If it's the previous (MK2,5) model, then it has the 4cyl engine. Newer Fords (Fiesta, Focus, Puma and Kuga) come with the 3cyl engine.

Edit: well actually only the Fiesta and the Kuga have the 1.5 as an option, Ford dropped the 1.5 in the Focus lineup and the Puma comes with only the 1.0 -at least in Greece....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same in Romania, regarding Focus at least. The official wording was that it needed to drop it to remain in the CO2 envelope that every auto manufacturer need to be (fleet wise) in EU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts