FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Water leak/ingress-footwell/boot/windscreen info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
MikeT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 2:46pm
Having worked my way through the Haldex issue (I hope), I thought I'd check the other regular issues and see if I could get ahead of them... and found this thread.

So I bought some trim removal tools and some Sikaflex to fill the cracks I can see near the tailgate hinges. I found the exerts from the Workshop Manual and set about removing the rail end.

First rear one came of readily. The first front one was a real struggle and left some collateral damage on the rail-cap clips. The second front one I can't get off.

The Manual shows loosening the 3 clips from the outboard side and lifting it away, but there are tabs which reach into the roof-rail itself and until these are cleared the cap won't lift at all 'cos the 2 inboard clips are still in place and can't be readily unclipped with a trim tool cos of the sloping angle to the roof.

Anyone got any tips on getting these rail caps off once the outboard clips have been unclipped?

Cheers
Mk1 TDCI 163 AWD Titanium X Electric White - with almost matching bumpers
Sponsored Links

gavin69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:16pm
Hi, I've got a Mk 1 Kuga, had it since it was 10 months old. No issues with an water ingress until the last 3 weeks. Funny things started happening with the electrics, an example one indicator would start when when I turned off the ignition and key fob would not work. I called out the AA and he checked the fuse box and it was soaking wet. He dried it out and said the wiring loom from the engine side had water on it that lead into the fuse box, he thought the scuttle drains maybe blocked. I booked it into the local dealership and they said I had a leak at the top of the windscreen, they resealed that. Heavy rain today, and water dripping back onto fuse box inside the car. I don't believe the dealership checked the windscreen drains last time, could this be causing this leak into the car?
gavin69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:26pm
Hi, I've got a Mk 1 Kuga, had it since it was 10 months old. No issues with an water ingress until the last 3 weeks. Funny things started happening with the electrics, an example one indicator would start when when I turned off the ignition and key fob would not work. I called out the AA and he checked the fuse box and it was soaking wet. He dried it out and said the wiring loom from the engine side had water on it that lead into the fuse box, he thought the scuttle drains maybe blocked. I booked it into the local dealership and they said I had a leak at the top of the windscreen, they resealed that. Heavy rain today, and water dripping back onto fuse box inside the car. I don't believe the dealership checked the windscreen drains last time, could this be causing this leak into the car?
lorrainespuma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorrainespuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:33pm
You need to remove the wiper arms and the black plastic skuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen. Once removed look under the far corner on the passenger side and you will see lines of sealer. This sealer is normally cracked, not enough sealer or in some cases missing! Using a screw driver or something similar, remove what sealer is there. Then seal the whole area with new sealer, I can recommend Tigar Seal. You will normally find the drivers side to be the same but you will have to unbolt the wiper linkage to get to it. I also had a leaking screen too which when replaced leaked worse! They replaced it again and so far so good
gavin69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:37pm
Thanks for that. Funnily enough they have found exactly that crack in the sealer by the corner of the windscreen! And on the other side. BCM now playing up! I believe it is being sealed by the dealer as I write this, then a water test. I'm not looking forward to the invoice, as they think I'm going to need a new BCM as well
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:44pm
If your car is under 6 years old its an inherent fault and as they used the wrong sealant its their fault.

I thought someone in this thread had posted up a TB and had it done FOC.

Bit like the alternator overload on the MK1 Ford get away with it.

Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
lorrainespuma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorrainespuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 5:23pm
We got lucky with one at work when the sidelights didnt work on the mot, found the bulkhead seal and also the screen was leaking. New screen fitted and bulkhead resealed, we then dried the car out and had a blow heater on the GEM module to dry it out. The lights then began to work again and a year later its still ok
gavin69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:04pm
The more I read this thread, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to take off the roof rails and seal them as well. Does anyone have any pics? Do I attack this from above or does the roof lining need to come out? Sorry I just have no idea?
Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:04pm
There are how to videos on YouTube just search for Ford Escape as they are made in America where the Kuga is called the Escape.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
gavin69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:43pm
Quick update. The leak appears to have been found.......It was coming from the windscreen that was never sealed correctly from the day the car was built!! The dealer resealed the bulkhead at their cost, and supplied the windscreen at cost for me due to how old the car is and no proof I didn’t do anything. In the great scheme of things it appears to be sorted.

I need to dry out the carpet on the front passenger side only. Any pointers on how to remove this from anyone?
Johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 7:06pm
Hi all I have a kuga that’s got wet carpets all round I have sealed cracks under scuttle but still wet the leak seems to be on the lower end of the under lay carpet as is not wet higher up the rear of dash. Has any one else had same problem boot not getting wet so it’s from rear seats to front I’ve had all interior out for 2 days over Christmas dried all floor panels left for 2 days while it was raining no signs of leak soon asi fit all back do four days drive to work after crimbo carpets wet again is there any body that can help thanks
steveblock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveblock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:47pm
Had our MK 1 2009 for 3 months now,Titanium with full leather,really nice except it’s p**s wet through in front footwell.Checked the sealer under the scuttle and sure it was cracked but the water was coming in from higher up.
Removed sun visor arm and vanity lamp and peeled back the headlining,removed loosely the side trim from roof to dash.There was a trail of green algae from the top near side corner and when it rained it ran down to the pillar then down the body onto the floor.
Whilst I had scuttle panel off I noticed an old electrical connector and foil so must have had a screen fitted and not done the job right.
Ok,following on from this the battery kept going flat so I replaced it for a good Varta Unit,after having weird starting problems,ok from cold then I struggle when warm and each failed start gives Engine Malfunction warning then AWD malfunction,I can only put this down to poor voltage on the old battery.
Really annoyed about this so have thrown it back to the garage to sort out under Consumer rights 2015........we will see.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:34am
Steve is this a case of a failed alternator re battery flat and poor starting, the symptoms you describe are usual when it fails.

Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
steveblock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveblock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 1:29pm
The original battery was only a year old and was a Yuasa YBX 3110;real proper thing,BUT,if you look at the specs for this battery it’s great for cranking but has just a standard everyday constant rating,as we all know these vehicles have tons of stuff which at this time of year we use a lot so it basically killed it.
The vehicle is charging fine so have replaced with a Varta silver grid cell type and this has so far been ok.
The water coming into the vehicle has ,I believe ,caused the numerous false starts too.
Pretty annoyed to be honest but the garage has promised to sort now.

Edited by steveblock - 17 Feb 2018 at 1:30pm
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 2:08pm
Water/damp across connectors could give failed starts as you say.

Of course the running of all the equipment on the car is hopefully supplied by the alternator when the engine is running. I think Ford have specified Silver Calcium batteries since the mid 90s since they introduced their smart charge system (not including recent Stop/Start implementation of course). Silver calcium usually needs slight higher charging voltage than standard lead acid so consequently it can accept a higher charge rate (current) to speed up charging. In theory, the relatively small amount of energy used to start your car if its a first time starter, is replenished within minutes.

See how you go, and hope they sort it for you.
Grippo18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grippo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:19pm
Hi. I have had the worst luck with my 2009. 2.0ltr awd zetec. I bought from a local garage. When I bought it we was waiting from fords for a central locking module I waited 6 months for them to book it in for a repair. When it was in with fords they said there is a water leak in the foot well which has caused the problem with the central locking. They informed me that they can't do the central locking until the water leak is fixed. After a month of being in fords I received a £900 bill for the locking module and. The leak "fixed". After. A few weeks the leak was back. And trying to get the car booked back in with them 5 months later car is soaked. I've dried it multiple times. 3 days ago I had a problem key not detected. Then it was fine. Then again key problem. Them suddenly. 3 dash warning lights on. Then more trouble. Car is completely dead no immobiliser no central locking. No electrics working in the car apart from the hazard lights are stuck on. Rang fords back and they don't seem to care. Had to call recovery to take it down to them and they said they will look at in next week in 5 days. Really not happy and after reading on here of loads of you with water leaks with same problem. Fords need to sort them self's out with the leaks.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 5:20am
Was the local garage the Ford dealer your taking the car to now?

So assuming the car was almost 8 year old when you purchased it, the water leak had probably been there a while and is a known problem as posted on here, due to Ford using a mastic not fit for purpose on the bulk head (not flexible enough). The water falling on the electronics is also a known problem and your 6 month wait for a central locking module should have been sorted within days.
You latest problem could be a failed alternator, also a common problem.

The delays the Ford garage are introducing clearly aren't justifiable and they are not interested and stalling. (was it EH in Merthyr?)

You may have a chance using a third party to mitigate on your behalf to sort this out seeing its become so protracted an issue.

Edited by Fillco - 15 Apr 2018 at 5:23am
Grippo18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grippo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:00am
Hi its not the altinator we tried the battery and its full as its a new battery we tried jump starting it there's just no power going anywhere in the car. And its Bridgend ford that's its been in and gone back to
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:07am
Ok if its dead, there is a 150 amp fuse located near battery positive and that may have blown.

If it has blown, this could be caused by the alternator being short circuit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
  Share Topic