FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Water leak/ingress-footwell/boot/windscreen info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
Author
Lance1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 9:14pm
Hi all - first time to this forum - very useful so far but need some help please (assume I am posting in the right place?)
2010 Kuga 2.0 titanium AWD - love the car other than:
water found in passenger front footwell, passenger rear footwell, drivers front footwell, drivers rear footwell; None found in boot (so far);
Taken a steer from advice on here, removed front seats, front carpet and dried out - also discovered big cracks in bulk head weld mastic - so have filled with Tiger Bond :)
Thought I had dried carpets out but still have lingering smell - don't think water still getting in but don't know;
Also, keyless entry fob intermittent (have changed battery, tried spare etc with no joy) - not sure if this started around the time I noticed water? anyone else with similar problem?
Also - any ideas how much a new set of carpets would be? to get rid of smell?
Please help
Cheers
Lance
Sponsored Links

Rob Davies View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 7:42pm
I got so fed up of what you have stated that I got rid of it,I was speaking to an ex ford employee who used to work in the Bridgend engine plant and he said that the Kuga was unfortunately American cr*p and that the Focus ST I bought would be a different car and that was from a former engineer in charge of whatever !!!
Sorry can't say what but he is a brilliant bloke who used to drive rally cars and loves talking cars, trouble is when I go to his house I cannot get away as he is an education in anything to do with cars and it is so sad that he has a serious respiratory problem.
Lance1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 8:27pm
Thanks - sad thing is I do love the car - when it doesn't smell and the key works........
Spoke with ford parts today to get costs   
Front passenger - £61 +VAT
Front driver - £68 +VAT
Rear one piece - £209!!!!! +VAT
On the bight side, key started working again this evening ?????
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 10:47am
have a look here
www.autovillage.co.uk
MK2 Titanium X Sport in Panther Black, wind deflectors, bumper and bonnet protectors, dashcam to record the idiots
jdtanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdtanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 10:07pm
Just to add to the leaky woes, my 61 plate Kuga has also developed a leak. The first thing I noticed was water dripping down the passenger side of boot (near to the boot light) in the recent heavy rain. 

Having looked through the entirety of this thread, I think I've tracked the source of the water ingress to several cracks in the roof rail seal close to the tailgate hinge. I've got no idea why this has suddenly just happened, but I suspect it might be because I took the car for a full valet in which it appears the roof rails have been cleaned. There was a load of "green gunge" in the rails which probably sealed the cracks, and upon its removal the water could penetrate. 

As a temporary measure, I've used some clear PU sealant that appears to have stopped the leak for now. However, once the weather improves I'll use some Tiger Bond to to the job properly. 

Incidentally, does anyone know how end caps of the roof rails come off? I've found the fixing instructions, but all they helpfully say is "Click!".

JT
alyons24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyons24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:18am
Yup that is exactly what's happened to my Kuga. 

Roof rails caps do ping off but they are rather stiff and you need to use a screw driver or something to get in the crack. However, if the cracks are lin the same position as are on my car then I don't think you need to get them off. 

I have also used sealant which seems to be holding. Let me know how you get on with the Tiger Bond as I need a more permanent ways of stopping the ingress.

Good luck.

Andy
Kuga Electric White 2WD
jdtanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdtanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 11:17am
I didn't really want to have to remove them, but given that this seems to be a failure point I thought it might be prudent.

My plan is to take them off, clean the rails, address and cracks with tiger bond, then overprint with a touch-up pot.

Disgusting that Ford quality control is so poor. This should be a free of charge repair in my opinion as it is obviously a fault from the factory.

JT
Anthony Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:52am
Does anyone know where drain holes are and how to access them.
Thanks in advance
alyons24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyons24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:00am
I'm pretty sure there aren't any. It is a question of mopping up the water and drying it out. The biggest issue is the sound insulation which acts as a giant sponge and is impossible to dry out. I ended up cutting mine out and drying it on a rad. And using newspaper to soak up excess water in the car. Right headache.

best to stop the water ingress point first and stop it keep happening.

Kuga Electric White 2WD
KeithsKuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithsKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:08pm
Have a Ford Kuga 2015 in immaculate condition except for the soaking wet carpet in the passenger footwell, tried to dry it out with the vax carpet cleaner and sucked about a pint up.
Decided to take car to the Ford dealer we purchased from, a day later and they say probably the boot has been left open, because the boot where the spare wheel is kept was full of water. but they have sealed the seals around the boot.  The boot has never been left open.
Obviously these cars have a big problem, inferior sealants used in the factory.  I don,t know.  Does anyone else have any ideas.  Oh I forgot to say we are now waiting for the bill to arrive!!!
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by KeithsKuga KeithsKuga wrote:

Have a Ford Kuga 2015 in immaculate condition except for the soaking wet carpet in the passenger footwell, tried to dry it out with the vax carpet cleaner and sucked about a pint up.
Decided to take car to the Ford dealer we purchased from, a day later and they say probably the boot has been left open, because the boot where the spare wheel is kept was full of water. but they have sealed the seals around the boot.  The boot has never been left open.
Obviously these cars have a big problem, inferior sealants used in the factory.  I don,t know.  Does anyone else have any ideas.  Oh I forgot to say we are now waiting for the bill to arrive!!!
A 2015 Kuga makes it a Mk2 Kuga built in Valencia whereas this particular thread is in the Mk1 sub forum and relates to an older model built in Saarlouis.

There's an existing thread in the Mk2 sub forum discussing water in the spare wheel area:

09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
GCCR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
Yes, we have exactly the same on our 09 Kuga.  Puddles in the front and rear Drivers side footwell's 

I THINK I've cured it now with Tiger seal all along the roof rail trims, along the top of the windscreen and down the screen pillars.  (Had to take the roof rails off).  Hassle.

However the water damage is done, as the electrics have now started playing up.  Key was not being recognized despite the usual checks/changes. 

Turns out the fuse box PCB under the dash is badly water damaged. See pic. Cleaned it as best I can, and now it recognizes the key but indicates a "transmission malfunction" fault, so I still cant start it. (See separate post).

Now it's third week parked on the drive.  VERY unhappy.  Especially now I realise why the garage that sold it to us had it parked indoors! Mate says they had big windows - saw us coming!  Thumbs Down

lorrainespuma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorrainespuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:57pm
Any suggestions welcome! I'm still getting water in my drivers front footwell. I never use my air con and The bulkhead sealer has been removed and resealed on both sides. The roof rail on drivers side has been removed and sealed. The windscreen has been replaced after water started dripping onto me, turned out it wasnt sealed at all along the top! Carpets were 100% dried out. A few days ago I found fresh water in the footwell again, difficult to see properly but it appears to be coming down the inside of the wheel arch area where the accelerator pedal is but due to the pedals I cant see up behind the dash. Anyone have any ideas?
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:08pm
GCCR what stage are you at with your Kuga.

I do find it ironic, we have a car that has possibly a 12 year perforation warranty but 1 year for leaks, and no warranty for sealing that should have been developed correctly to start with. How do they get away with it unchallenged.

I guess other manufacturers have similar lack of support.

Edited by Fillco - 29 Mar 2017 at 7:09pm
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
GCCR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:58am
I've now ..... 

cleaned up and re-fitted the PCB on the Under-dash fusebox - Key now recognised but reported transmission fault still present.  So still stuck in drive

On a dry day (A rarity here!) I took out the main fixing plug from the under bonnet fuse box and used a black and Decker heat gun (Carefully) to dry out the underside of the fuse box as I can't figure out how to remove it. Prodded every spade connector in the holder and when all was warm and dry (I think) sprayed with WD40.     Fault Gone!  Car started.  All A1.

Car is now drying out nicely as sealing the roof bar mounting, side pillars on front screen, and the top of the poorly fitted windscreen has done the trick. 

Missus loves the car again now so we may well postpone my plan to have the piece of scr*p towed to the breakers yard! Personally I'm still worried it may happen again. 

Conclusion - A good car let down by poor workmanship and non-existent quality control.  This leak and lots like it are the subject of a Ford TSB but Fords attitude, particularly the lousy dealerships is frankly appaling despite this being a known fault. 
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:30pm
Magic, glad its OK. Was just curious about the PCB.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
GCCR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 7:06pm
Yes I was pleased with that outcome as a new PCB costs a lot ! - Even from a scr*ppie !  Not sure what it's range of functionality is but to me the underside looks more like an ECU.  For all I know it may actually BE the ECU ! 
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:01pm
There will me a controller on there to monitor lamp failure as well as other systems as well as CAN control for electrical services.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorrainespuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:13pm
Anyone that has sealed the roof rails, did you just remove the rail part and seal the cracks front and rear or did you remove and seal where the black roof moulding is? I'm getting water in the drivers footwell in the accelerator pedal area. Bulkhead has been sealed and the windscreen replaced. The only thing I can think of is that its getting into the roof outer edge and running down the inside of the front pillar which neither are accessible to look for signs of water. Best of it is if I put a hose on the car I cant make it leak!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorrainespuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:46pm
So finally managed to pinpoint where the water is getting in, top of the windscreen that autoglass replaced two months ago!!!
Supposed to be coming to do it again on Wednesday so fingers crossed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
  Share Topic