FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Water leak/ingress-footwell/boot/windscreen info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author
Chi2Wai View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chi2Wai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 1:14pm
Mine has just started developing puddles of water in the front passenger footwell. Only seems to happen when I wash the car. And before you say it, yes I did close the window and the door before washing it LOL

Anyway my local ford garage won't see it now until end of March. They fully booked with other complaints of water leaks. Seems to be a common fault. 

If it can't be repaired under warranty (2011 plate) it will have to go. Not paying for something that's not my fault.
2011, Frozen White, Titanium, 2.0 TDCi 163ps 6 speed manual AWD, 18" 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels, Appearance and Convenience Pack, Mud Flaps, Aluminium Pedals
Sponsored Links

Guitarshrubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitarshrubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 7:05pm
Hi,Chi2Wai,
Hang on in there mate, and book her in for the end of March. Your dealer should strip all of the seats out, repair the leak, and dry your carpets out. Takes about three days and costs about £350, but will be a lot less than you will lose getting rid! The work should be guaranteed for a year, so a bit of peace of mind. Mine was done Jan 2015, so I am keeping a watchful eye.....
Best wishes,
Les.
2011 Titanium 163PS AWD, Midnight Sky, Appearance Pack,18 inch alloys, Bluetooth Voice Control & USB.
EddieKUGA View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieKUGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by alyons24 alyons24 wrote:

Hi there. I need some help please. Just been reading your thread on your kuga leak with water entering boot from somewhere above rear light cluster. I have exactly the same problem but can't work out where the leak is occurring. Did you work out where the leak was and was it an easy fix? Had all carpets up as soaked through. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

You need to check the seam in the outer body shell running under the roof rail mount along the roof and down the back of the body shell by the main hinge for the tailgate. Mine had this exact fault, it was Pi**ing water like a tap down the inside of the rear pillar when I ran a hose over the roof. The water was then running under the boot floor, wicking down the insulation under the back seat into the footwell. I used a wet vac to pull over a litre of water out of the footwells before the carpets etc were taken out and dried etc.

2012 Kuga Titanium X TDCi 163PS AWD, Panther Black, Appearance pack, 19" 5-spoke alloys (16" Steels + Nokian WRA3 for winter), 7" Touchscreen Nav+, Witter flanged detachable towbar, + loads more...
MELSCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELSCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:38pm
Have you solve your problem yet? I have the same problem, foot
 well passenger side is soaking wet.
MELSCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELSCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:38pm
i have the same problem with car booth flooded. i have noticed it was wet for maybe over a year. its only recently when i opened it all up that the boot was flooded. i have stripped the boot and poured water on the top and it wasn't long for the water to leak and it came from the rook rack. i remove it and put sealant. i dont have anymore leak from the boot. my problem now is floor on passenger seat which is soaking wet. i have been reading this thread to find some help.
Rob Davies View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:21pm
I have just put mine back together after stripping the whole drivers side out from front to back including all the rear boot trim up as far as the headlining and found water marks coming down from the cracks in the roof bar body sealer where it was cracked letting in water from there and running down to the square hole above the rear light cluster where I also noticed the little knuckle joints that retain the rear lights were also letting water in so I resealed the roof rails after removing the bolts and removed the rear lights and sealed with tiger bond the plugs that the rear lights fit into and now it's dry at last.
I also noticed a crack in the sealer in the corner f the rear footwell after lifting the foam insert up and scr*ped out the split sealer and resealed that with tiger bond which is excellent stuff and can be purchased in Halfords for £9.
I reasoned both roof rails on the rear and care must be taken when you remove the silver plastic covers as the tags break off but a small squirt of tiger bond will hold them on.
I did take photographs of the cracks but cannot figure out how to put them on here.
MELSCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELSCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 8:56am
Thanks Rob. It looks like we have the same problem as you describe. However, my kuga broke down, engine wont start. have to take it to Ford service in Brentwood. some of the wirings were corruded due to water leaks. my water leak was due to seam split that they have sorted out ( work sheet did not point which Part). I have to pay around £350.
wonder if we can claim it back from ford
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:13am
Inherent fault, in theory you can via the dealer you bought it from within 6 years of purchase.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:53am
Still nice and dry but takes ages to dry the sound proofing as still felt damp but hot air blower did the trick
I am glad that it's been of use
MELSCAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELSCAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:16pm
lets hope I can claim back something from Ford. i will get in touch with the dealer although i have not read that someone have manage to claim back.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 10:20pm
It's a diabolical situation to be in when a major manufacturer such as fmc cannot accept their responsibility and fix all the faulty cars shame on them, as ultimate blame lies with them for either the design or sealer used in the first place.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 5:50am
Its its not particularly hard to prove its a design fault, but you have to take the due legal process to claim. They wont readily admit it even though they have issued a fix.

Look how quiet its gone regards heated washer jets catching fire, alternators overheating. Nothing will change while ever the consumer, the customer, the owner doesnt take it any further, but you need technical assistance to argue the case. I've offered it in private conversation on here with alternator failures, and no ones taken it up.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 2:25pm
I have seen a few posts on kuga alternators going faulty but have they had any catch fire as I have to take our kuga in for the washers jets to be changed as I keep forgetting
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 3:52pm
Yes in the thread on the failed alternator some have found evidence of it getting very hot.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 5:26pm
Well I do not believe it I received a recall notice for the kuga( heated washer jets ) but when booking in they said there was not a problem with my car so I faxed the letter in to the dealer that I had and they then noticed that it was my old kuga which I have not owned since June 2010 so if anyone knows of CA08 KKO titanium in champagne colour let them know as I have not seen it since it went to the dealer in 2010 and incidentally it was a superb car that had absolutely no faults at all, I think someone has got their facts wrong somewhere.
tommyzoom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 6:05pm
I've just read this whole thread,as I have recently got a musty smell, and carpets are wet, (worse in D/S rear ) and my leak (I hope its only one) was coming from split sealer where roof rails end  near tailgate hinge. Removed rails and resealed and leak gone ( easy on a white Kuga)
I'm off to check the other problem areasSmile
Arf444s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arf444s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 4:14pm
Just got my Kuga back from Fords and they found after two attempts that when the car is inclined at the back and then flooded with water it leaks into the boot. They have changed two parts which I presume is the roof bar seals. Now hopeing no more puddles but will keep an eye on it. Please note when parked on a level there was no leak.
buzzrm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:48am
Mine has now developed a leak in the passenger footwell. I had the heated screen replaced under warranty in March. I know it was dry up until then as I'd been checking quite frequently in view of the issues being reported on here. I noticed it only last night. I've soaked up about half a litre of water so far. The water wasn't really smelly so I think it's a recent failure.   

It's going in next week for the screen to be removed and replaced again (with maybe another new screen for some reason). Fingers crossed it's then fixed. Otherwise, I'll be hoping there's no rain next Friday/Saturday as I drive up through France to north Devon.

Edited by buzzrm - 10 Jun 2016 at 9:50am
Arf444s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arf444s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 10:21am
As stated the roof bar seals were replaced on the roof rails at the rear of my Kuga in April 2016 and with the recent rail falls we have had there is no water in my boot. If I develop water in the front foot wells I would defiantly be looking at the rail seals.
buzzrm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 8:04pm
The dealer traced the cause of the leak on mine. When they fitted the new screen in March, one of two guide fittings was somehow displaced, leaving a fingernail-sized hole for the water to go through. The screen has been refitted today and they'll be drying out the carpet and underlay tomorrow. I will of course be keeping a paranoid eye on things for a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic