FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Water leak/ingress-footwell/boot/windscreen info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
puddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leak/ingress-footwell/boot/windscreen info
    Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 9:46pm
We have now named our Kuga Puddles, the car is 09 bought new and has 3000 m on the clock. In the last week it has decided to fill the passenger footwell with water. The local dealer took the veh in to investigate and found a large leak coming in the rear of the roof! we advised them that the car faces bonnet up on the drive so we didn't think this was right but took the car anyway. next day front footwell full of water, took car in again now saying they have another Kuga in with same fault and they have to take dash out to fix. Has anyone else got a (puddles) or are we just unlucky? We are obviously very unhappy that the dash has to come out as this is major work with the possibility that the car will never be the same again. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

win-doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote win-doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 9:57pm
Hi puddles,
This is a very unfortunate problem you have, i have not heard of this happening on any of the koc Kuga's.
I would be thinking seriously of rejecting this NEW car and getting them to supply a new one.
BruceKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 9:59pm
Sorry to hear you have puddles, Puddles. Not had any leaks in my Kuga so far but when i bought my Ka new in 2006 that leaked like a bugger. Turns out when it was built they forgot to seal the bulkhead joints to the sides, so the water just ran in. Had the dash out at RatesFord in Grays, Essex, and done the job fine.  No problems since... and i have actually kept it so must have turned out ok in the end. Good luck.
June '16 Titanium X 180 AWD Shadow &
June '17 Titanium 150 2WD Magnetic
curtlyb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtlyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 10:26pm
must be a ford thing this, mk 1 Focus' were famous for soggy passenger footwells, mine included. It was due to a poorly designed pollen filter under the grill just behind the passenger windscreen wiper. The problem was increased when parking the car on a slope as the water couldn't naturally run away and further increased by the fact that service staff would re-stick the cover on using the old tape rather than new tape at service intervals. Newly designed filter with a larger lip solved the problem overnight Smile
Freddie Kuga View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Kuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 1:08am
I had this problem with my mk 1 Focus ST as well which resulted in puddles in the passenger footwell. Also be wary of poor windscreen replacements, said ST was back three times to re-seal the windscreen (not Ford) after a replacement was fitted. Apparently they hadn't sealed the top of the passenger side at all on any of their three inept attempts.  Hope you get an answer soon puddles!
aaman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 3:01am
Originally posted by puddles puddles wrote:

We have now named our Kuga Puddles, the car is 09 bought new and has 3000 m on the clock. In the last week it has decided to fill the passenger footwell with water. The local dealer took the veh in to investigate and found a large leak coming in the rear of the roof! we advised them that the car faces bonnet up on the drive so we didn't think this was right but took the car anyway. next day front footwell full of water, took car in again now saying they have another Kuga in with same fault and they have to take dash out to fix. Has anyone else got a (puddles) or are we just unlucky? We are obviously very unhappy that the dash has to come out as this is major work with the possibility that the car will never be the same again. Any feedback would be appreciated.

when the leak is fixed make sure you get ford to fit new sound / under felt and a new carpet as you will never get the smell of damp out of the car. i had a leak on my passat was in the dealers for weeks good that it was still in wty. good luck 
puddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:27pm
Further to my post Puddles the kuga. The car was in the dealers for 10 days dash was removed to get to a seam in the bulkhead which was never welded from new. The dealer Vospers of Plymouth have been very helpful in this matter and we now hope the fault is rectified. My Kuga is not the only one the dealer has seen with this fault! so be advised if yours leaks when parked bonnet facing up a slope it could be the same issue.
win-doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote win-doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 8:13pm
Hi Puddles,
Glad you have had a possitive outcome to the problem. It leaves a lot to be desired of Fords Quality control if a main bulkhead weld  not being done is missed. What happened to ISO 9000 ???????
BruceKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:33pm
.....it went on a 3 day week with no overtime, along with the employees!!!!!!
June '16 Titanium X 180 AWD Shadow &
June '17 Titanium 150 2WD Magnetic
allan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 10:27pm
[QUOTE=puddles]Further to my post Puddles the kuga. The car was in the dealers for 10 days dash was removed to get to a seam in the bulkhead which was never welded from new. The dealer Vospers of Plymouth have been very helpful in this matter and we now hope the fault is rectified. My Kuga is not the only one the dealer has seen with this fault! so be advised if yours leaks when parked bonnet facing up a slope it could be the same issue. [/QUOTE
Should they not be replacing the car if a major structural part has not been made correctly?
What did they do in way of a repair or just seamsealered it!
Vision blue Titanium awd,appearance pack,and bluetooth
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 9:05am
Oh dear another car, built in a hurry? thankfully had no such problems so far just a flat battery which my local EH sorted out in just ten minutes, interior boot light was staying on. Not sure if some posters will remember but we had a Mondeo, when they first came out (our last Ford) going forward a loud creak was heard from windscreen area, took car back luckily they heard it and sent for Ford's Tech's they apparently x-rayed the front stantions and discovered missing welds, the car was replaced, but that car turned into a dog and we moved onto Toyota's.
harrykatinnen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harrykatinnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 5:46pm
Hi Puddles

I think my Kuga has the same issue. Has been parked on a drive facing slighly uphill. The front passenegr footwells carpet becomes damp. Has happened a few times now once aftre washing and then after heavy snowfall / rainfall.

Have you anymore information on the location of the missing weld etc and how many cars in your area were affected as I now need to book mine in and would like to be able to give them as much detail as possible as to probable cause.

Glad yours is now sorted

Regards

Harry Katinnen
ukcobra View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukcobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 10:25pm
The Kuga went into the dealer today, they reproduced the leaking tailgate and adjusted the secondary tailgate strikers and were unable to get it to leak, so time will tell how well they did.

They failed to wash it however, despite the promise they would and advising them at drop off it needed to be done as part of the sales process.

NOW Sold : 59 ( Jan 2010) Moondust Silver, Titanium AWD, Appearance, USB + BT, 18" Wheels (PM Me for Details)
ade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 9:28pm
hi called into local dealer today about my tailgate leaking.They had one in this week traced fault to lower spoiler leaking requires rear window removing then spoiler off to reseal.Booking mine in soon.
awd 2.0 tdci titanium x pack pano roof powershift full leather 18 inch alloys

aaman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by ade ade wrote:

hi called into local dealer today about my tailgate leaking.They had one in this week traced fault to lower spoiler leaking requires rear window removing then spoiler off to reseal.Booking mine in soon.

hi ade . wot does the dealer mine by the lower spoiler??.  when i open the tailgate  i get water drips from the window part of the tailgate is this the same as yours . 
jagkuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagkuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 11:36am

I had the same problem, when opening the tailgate water dribbles underneath the glass edge.  I’ve used “clear” bath sealant along just underneath the glass where the rear wiper is – works a treat, no leaks now.Smile

AWD with a bottle of whisky in the back
ade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 9:40pm
Hi the lower spoiler is the one where the ford badge is across the length of the tailgate.
awd 2.0 tdci titanium x pack pano roof powershift full leather 18 inch alloys

c130jtechie View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c130jtechie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 1:40pm
I have a similar issue, though it looks like there are drains in the plastic trim at the bottom of teh upper hatch so Ford are aware that drainage is required, however the water doesn't seem to come from these but between the trim surrounding the wiper motor and the adjacent trim which is inside the seal area so coming into the car if that makes sense.

Has anyone taken the trim off surrounding the wiper motor?

jagkuga

Any chance of some photos as to where you put the sealant.
Harbrimar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbrimar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 6:37pm
I was cleaning the inside of my Kuga today when I noticed the carpet on the passenger front & rear foot wells was wet (wet enough enough to see water when depressed). I have been away for 3 weeks and left the car on the drive with the front slightly up hill (no more than a couple of degrees). Has anyone any idea where the water came from? I had a similar problem on my old VW Passat when the plenum chamber was blocked. This caused some severe problems as the ECU was in the passenger foot well and ended up badly corroded.Cry Hopefully it is not in the same place in the Kuga. Are there any drain holes in the plenum chamber area of the Kuga? I noticed that there are rectangular holes in the body work on both sides where the wings meet the base of the windscreen and think that they may be some form of drain. Interestingly when I poke my finger into the hole on the passenger side it seems to be blocked by soft plastic or foam. The other side is not blocked.
harrykatinnen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harrykatinnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 8:45pm
Hi

I have the same problem with water coming in to the front passenger footwell. Noticed this a little while ago and car is booked in with local dealer but the guy who does waterleaks is currently off on the sick.

Car now due in on 8th March. I have made dealer aware of the missing weld post so they have provisionally booked it in for two weeks in case they need to get the dash out.

I will let you know what they find.

I suspect there are a few more owners suffering from this who simply haven't checked under their mats or assume it is just wet shoes causing the issue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic