FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Transmission Malfunction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jersey Stardust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jersey Stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Malfunction
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:37pm
Hi Guys

My wife has have our MK 2 since September, love the car but have had one or two problems with the Auto Gearbox. I personally have had no problems with it, and it drives so well changes gear nice and smooth. The first time she noticed a fault was when creeping along trying to find a parking space, she was doing maybe 2 mph and suddenly the car came to a stand still a bit like left foot braking or as I imagined it slamming the car in 'Park' whilst driving. The second time a fault occurred was when she was pulling away from a yellow line and it sounded like the gears were grinding, this happened for a short period and then sorted itself out. The third time was last week when driving along fine, the revs starting to increase and the 'Transmission Malfunction' messaged appeared on the dash. She pulled over switched off, waited 5 minutes after ringing me up, started and drove on ok no problems. The car has been down today to the local Trust Ford and it all checks out fine no faults no nothing ?
Does this sound right ? Has anyone had similar issues ?

Thanks
Richard
Sponsored Links

Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:35pm
Is this the Powershift transmission?
In Australia, there have been lots of problems with this transmission, but mainly on the Focus.
From what I can tell the problem is with the clutch packs wearing out very quickly.
I would insist the dealer takes the car out long enough to cause the issue to appear, wouldn't it be nice if they could fault find and problem solve without the need for a diagnostic code to show up when they scan the car.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 12:52am
The Kuga Powershift is a different transmission to the Focus/ Ecosport/ Fiesta Powershift (wet dual clutch vs dry dual clutch.) The dry dual clutch is the one that has caused most problems, but I have read of a few Kuga wet dual clutch transmissions that misbehave.

Edit: eg. http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/powershift_topic14047.html and http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11454061

Edited by murcod - 11 Jan 2017 at 12:59am
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
Jersey Stardust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jersey Stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:44pm
Yes it is the 6 speed Powershift, I think listening to what the wife says, it seems as though her faults happened at very very low speed, as mentioned to the garage. I hope they didn't just drive around normally. I Will keep a close eye on it but thank you for the feedback.

Richard
Pistnbroke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistnbroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 4:02pm
I am having endless problems with engaging reverse when the temp goes below freezing ..The dealers are useless saying ford don't know of the problem and want it for days to see if they can get it to do it after a frosty night......The  fuel consumption is cr*p at about 33mpg for a 1.5 diesel ..my Quashqa did 52mpg over 26000 miles ...
Basically its just junk 
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:09am
Ask them for a loan vehicle and leave it with them for however long they want. You need to give them a chance to fix it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistnbroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 7:59am
We have agreed to see if the problem goes away when the temp goes up  and in the meantime am gathering information ..I think its the gearbox temp sensor that is giving the trouble because at -30 it is supposed to shut down. If it goes ok when the weather improves  I shall put a 10k resistor across the sensor to make it think its warmer then it is ..leased vehicle so who cares or get the leasing company involved.

If anyone has the same problem would like to hear. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistnbroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:55am
Well the leasing company  LEX  has got involved and contacted Ford fleet..have painted a mark on lthe gearbox in case they change it and lie and have not changed it .  Been in the motor trade 40 years and don't trust them an inch .

Jersey Stardust .

If they say never heard of it try quoting  EF 67 SYU   and if you could let me have your reg it would be useful.

Edited by Pistnbroke - 26 Mar 2018 at 8:58am
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:31am
Ford are good at not knowing about a problem (or saying they don't) so, so as far as they are concerned there isn't one.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistnbroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:38am
Well lex are implying  I can have a new car to replace it ..roll on The Mitsubishi   PHEV  
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:40am
2 in our village, a bit big for my liking but look and 'SOUND' very nice
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistnbroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:43am
Total stalemate   ford will not do anything because I do not own the vehicle and Lex wont do anything because ford wont do anything / they don't care / 
Very sad and disappointed with both .
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 2:43am
What are your costs/ options for getting out of the lease?

Is there a consumer affairs type place in the Uk that could help put some pressure on Ford or your lease company?
Bing67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bing67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:49am
I have a 2013 ford kuga titanium diesel automatic, only 45,000km (28,000mph) on the clock, out of warranty and transmission/gearbox issues
Revs up, feels like gears slipping, I'm guessing I will get nowhere with Ford but so far have just been told to take it for an assessment.
I had a mechanic jump in and have a drive with me and he said its the gearbox and needs to come out!

45,000 km and gearbox has an issue!!!! Seriously!!!!

Wish me luck getting anyone to take responsibility for a fully ford maintained car
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:56am
Honda would want the gearbox back to find out why it had failed on such a low mileage/km.

I'd expect any manufacturer to want to see what has happened.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistnbroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:43am
MURCOD.............

Because I do not own the vehicle I am powerless..  So I am going to write to the address on the log book and point out that if the vehicle is to be rejected with ford then they need to do it .  (not me)
If they do not reject it and I have further problems  then they have knowingly supplied me with a faulty vehicle and I could stop payments and return the vehicle as they are in breach of contract.
This may prove useful if my circumstances change and wish to return the vehicle  early without penalty.
Problem is if I just dump it back to them who knows where the financial implications will go and there is not another car as cheap (£265 /month)  that suits me .  A PHEV  would be £365  cost nothing to run in town but only do 30 mpg on the motorway so no way of getting the extra £100 back.... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistnbroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:42am
Currently I have escalated it to the Motor Trade Ombudsman for resolution within 90 days  . not hopefull...have a new gearbox temp sensor on my desk at present ..its either that or a glitch in the ECU programming. If all else fails a 10K resistor across the temp sensor terminals will make it think its warmer than it is  and that should fix it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic