FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Sync1 Screen Failure?.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sync1 Screen Failure?.
    Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:26am
Hello all, we've had our 2013 Kuga TitaniumX Powershift nearly 2 years and it's truely best car I've owned.

Unfortunately the Sync1 screen has started playing up, first of all it was flickering and you could see a "ripple" going from top to bottom but still useable.

Wife has just sent me a text to say it's gone completely white now, the radio etc still works. After a power down it's come back on (flickering again).

I'm going to take the dash to bits first to check connections but I fear the screen has failed.

Has anybody else had a similar problem or can anyone recomend a reliable source for repair or replacement of the screen?.

Any ideas welcome!, Cheers Keith.
Sponsored Links

murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 12:22am
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:19am
David that looks quite a nice screen and cowling, I would like to see it in the flesh to make sure it's as good as the pictures.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:18am
There are cheaper versions floating around in the same size. No idea how good they are, but if I had Sync1 and it was broken.....

One Adelaide owner I know (via another forum) has put a double DIN fascia in his 2015(?) Kuga to replace his Sync1 system. I think it's an Android based unit he's fitted- so the software app options are virtually limitless.
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:21pm
It's a possiblity but I'd like to keep standard screen if I can.

I have seen same unit on different Fords, numbers I have on mine are 815 D 1306850, BM5T-18B955-DE, C7E3F 2186, 7 612 032 186, V306850.

Are they all relivent?, BM5T-18B955-DE seems to be the master part number?.
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:37pm
You might run into firmware/ factory option issues which may need someone with a lot of knowledge to fix. eg. change the relevant data and write to the module using ForScan.
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:36am
Yep I think I'm flogging a dead horse!.

That android screen doesn't look like a bad option, could have mine repaired but god knows how long it would last.

I liked the lines on the reversing guide but not worth the hastle just for that!.

Will have to start juggling money around again.

Any more links would be appreciated, off to have a look around and see what's available Android wise.
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:04pm
I haven't got one, but an Android based double DIN head unit would be a good move. Run whatever apps you want and never have to pay ludicrous amounts for navigation maps again!

Here's a kit installed with a double DIN Android head unit https://www.facebook.com/ProjectKugaST/posts/1032626450155531
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 5:42pm
I've been looking and asking questions all day!

In the end it was a toss up between a 9" screen in the top and keeping the Sony button pad or the unit pictured above (I wanted to keep reversing camera functionality).

Both read the Ford Canbus so integrate well into the car (hopefully!).

The price difference wasn't enough to worry about as we'll be keeping the Kuga a good few years more so I went for the unit shown in this thread, full sized touch screen.

It's coming from France and may get here for the weekend (fingers crossed!).

Will let you all know how I get on!.

I had no issues with the Sync1 at all, just a shame it's packed up after only 4 1/2 years!. Wasn't prepared to gamble on a repair or s/h unit which probably wouldn't have all the functions coded in (my luck!).
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:29pm
Nice- so you went with the larger tablet style? That will look very impressive and you'll be able to run so many different apps eg. OBD2 apps to display engine parameters on the move.

keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:25am
Yep it's the Tesla style tablet, just hope it's not too complicated to use but you don't know until you try!.

I though if it's all coming out might as well go the whole hog..
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 11:05pm
Totally agree, if you're going to mod something do it properly. Wink
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:03pm
Well good and bad news!, the unit has turned up and looks very well built.

Quick look at the plastic mouldings and they look very well done.

BUT, there's a bag full of wires and no instructions!.

Hopefully it will all be self evident when fitting but it may be a long Sunday..
The Ace View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by keithmac keithmac wrote:

Well good and bad news!, the unit has turned up and looks very well built.

Quick look at the plastic mouldings and they look very well done.

BUT, there's a bag full of wires and no instructions!.

Hopefully it will all be self evident when fitting but it may be a long Sunday..

Contact the seller and tell him to send you the instructions via email, cloud, etc, usually they have it in PDF or JPG format, just for these mishaps ;)
Ford Kuga 1.5EB ST-Line 150HP FWD
Ford Fiesta 1.0EB Titanium 100HP
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:15pm
I've had it all out on the table and plugged it all together as far as I can and it all seems to be virtually fool proof (good for me!).

Will give them an email and see what's what tomorrow.

It's got Canbus and OBD diagnostic inputs so will be interesing to see what it can do.

Plus there's privisions for front and rear dashcam so I might invest in a pair of cameras.
Ginger_ale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger_ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:06pm
This sounds right up the street of what I am looking at. The top screen still works on mine but I'm not impressed with the Sony dab head unit. If I was to fit a double din head unit in place of the Sony unit, would the reversing sensors guide still work on the original screen? I know the track listing etc wouldn't but I'm not bothered about that as it would all be on the head unit. By reversing sensor guide, I mean the picture of the car with the blocks behind it. I don't have the reversing camera.

Edit: I have just had a look on my laptop instead of phone. Seems there are 2 options, 1 being remove the screen and the other keep it. Looking at the facebook link, I need to get the right interface to make sure I can change the time.

Edited by Ginger_ale - 20 Feb 2018 at 10:24pm
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:28pm
It "should" do. From what I've seen the reversing camera and NAV are part of the screen assembly on the Sync1 so your none camera screen will have that software not the Stereo unit.

I think Canbus tells the screen the car is in reverse and it puts the picture up.

I've been supplied with a gps aerial but looking to see if I can use my OEM Ford one already on the car.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger_ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:33pm
That's good to know. I suppose the way to find out for sure would be to disconnect the sony unit and see what happens.

Are you planning on upgrading the speakers in the car? Seems a shame to upgrade the head unit and leave the stock speakers in.
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:47pm
Maybe at some point, I've got some Focal kit from a while back will have to see if they'll fit.

Also got a JL Audio 12" sub but those days are long gone!.

If I remember on Sunday I'll take the Stereo out first and see what happens, I know the Stereo deffinitely works when the screen's dead.

Edited by keithmac - 20 Feb 2018 at 10:49pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger_ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:53pm
Those days are never gone ha ha. One thing I like about older cars and some newer ones is being able to change the sound system.

I spend up to 3 hours a day commuting so I want to be able to listen to good sounding music. If I do change the head unit, I will be doing the speakers as well and maybe (actually, more than likely) putting some sort of Sub in as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic