FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Start/Stop Tech, how do I turn it off ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kuga4x4Sep2016 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuga4x4Sep2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start/Stop Tech, how do I turn it off ?
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 5:41am
I have the UK Sep 2016 Titanium X 2.0TDCi 180BHP 4x4 model.(MANUAL GEARBOX)

I don't do a lot of driving for starters, and when I do I am not in very heavy traffic all the time sitting at junctions and traffic lights for long periods etc (apart from now and again), so I watched a few reviews on the internet and they said basically that if your not going to be driving a lot in areas where you are stopped constantly etc with those junctions and traffic lights then its pretty much pointless having the option switched on (thats if it can be switched off I mean ?).

I get a little nervous sometimes too when sitting for a few seconds at a very dangerous junction and the engine cuts out and my car could roll back etc if it doesnt start up in micro seconds etc, so yes, it is a bit scary sometimes, even for some experienced drivers I hear too that I know, they also said its pretty useless unless stopped in traffic all the time and driving loads and loads, but I dont, so therefore, for me, I dont know if people agree, its a waste of time for the likes of me and others, what ya think ?

Plus, If people all agree, could someone tell me how to turn the bloomin option off, its doing my head in trying to figure it out as usual, lol.

Thanks. 

p.s, 
I just wanted to say that I took the car out today and found some roads I know, no traffic or anything and up and down hills etc, I thrashed it, and I must say, that thing is like a Rocket, thats the first I have really thrashed it big time and yeah, that is like a bullet even up hills too, I even think they underestimated the 0-62mph time of I think it was 9 seconds, I think I done it in about 7 or 8, hard to say, but it was like a rocket anyway and that aspect I am extremely happy with, just wait to those boy racers pull up beside me, LOL LOL

Edited by Kuga4x4Sep2016 - 13 Jan 2017 at 2:18am
Kuga-Titanium X- 2.0Tdci-180-MANUAL GEARBOX_4X4_DabSync2Nav-Panoramic Roof-Appearance Pack-Rear Parking Sensor-too much more to mention
Sponsored Links

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:22am
I suspect a few of us are surprised your asking this, but look at page 14 in your handbook to identify the button that temporarily switches it off. Then look at page 122 see what it actually does.

Edited by Fillco - 10 Jan 2017 at 7:30am
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
jumborat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jumborat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:27am
I'm a little confused as to why the stop/start would activate at a junction in a manual Kuga. Surely you're in 1st gear ready to pull out?

I do agree about the performance figures Ford quote. They say the Powershift 0-62 is 10 seconds yet I've timed mine at 8.3 seconds with the traction control off, well, as off as you can turn it.
Kuga Titanium X 180PS AWD Powershift in Magnetic.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:40am
If the is traffic no reason not to be in neutral instead of in gear holding the clutch.
I think the acceleration time is conservative and lower than the book. That is, its quicker.

Edited by Fillco - 10 Jan 2017 at 12:02pm
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
lizandjam View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lizandjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:53am
I have the automatic and if coming up to a junction I know I need to get out quickly from I put in Sport mode - as far as I can tell this overrides the Stop/Start. Interesting what you say about the 0-60 times - I'm no expert in fast cars but if you put your foot down the Kuga shifts pretty quickly.
Kuga #2 - 2016 TDCI AWD 180 Titanium X Sport Powershift in Deep Impact Blue with Family Pack
Kugalan View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kugalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:50pm
On our manual Kuga, I personally have no issue with the Stop Start, you've got to really try to beat it when you want to start if you put the car in neutral when at a junction, generally for me it is only at traffic lights.
 If at a give way I always leave the car in gear with the clutch in while waiting at the line for a gap in the traffic.
If you car is cutting out when the car is in gear with the clutch depressed, there is a fault.

Re disabling the S/S.  It cannot be done permanently, it turn back on when ever you turn off the engine.  To temporarily disable, press the button near the gearstick with an A in a circle on it next to the heated window buttons, however my car has park assist & no electric tailgate, so it may be slightly different on yours.
2016my Kuga Titanium 2.0 150 TDCi 2wd Eu6 Deep Impact Blue, Appearance Pack, 18" Alloys, Convenience Pack & Premium Sync II Nav with reverse camera
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuga4x4Sep2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 3:45am
all great interesting answers guys and girls :) Thanks.

I am confused, a couple of you mentioned turning on and off traction control (I know what the feature is for with watching car tv programs etc) and also turning on and off sport mode.

Now, I either asked before in here on this forum about these very things or it may have been at the dealership, I cant remember, but from what I do remember, I was told by whoever it was that there is no such function/option on my car, is that right or wrong ? Remember its a UK Sep 2016 Titanium X 2.0TDCi 180BHP 4x4 model.

I will need to look the book or go to the dealer with regards to the start/stop tech as I personally think its a pain in the neck.
Kuga-Titanium X- 2.0Tdci-180-MANUAL GEARBOX_4X4_DabSync2Nav-Panoramic Roof-Appearance Pack-Rear Parking Sensor-too much more to mention
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:28am
  Cant understand why your confused, you have either got the button shown in your manual or you havnt and unless the Titanium X comes without it, you more than likely will have the button because you are mentioning stop/start. Unfortunately if you dont wish to have stop/start active, you'll have to press the button each time you start the car.

Stop start works fine for me. From the moment I've put my foot on the clutch the engines ready for the gear and I'm away. I've not been in any situation where I thought I need to keep the engine running for an even quicker get away, except where I'm rolling to a junction with feet on clutch and brake and the car hasnt come to rest anyway.

Edited by Fillco - 11 Jan 2017 at 5:54am
jumborat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumborat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Kuga4x4Sep2016 Kuga4x4Sep2016 wrote:

I am confused, a couple of you mentioned turning on and off traction control (I know what the feature is for with watching car tv programs etc) and also turning on and off sport mode.

Now, I either asked before in here on this forum about these very things or it may have been at the dealership, I cant remember, but from what I do remember, I was told by whoever it was that there is no such function/option on my car, is that right or wrong ? Remember its a UK Sep 2016 Titanium X 2.0TDCi 180BHP 4x4 model.

I will need to look the book or go to the dealer with regards to the start/stop tech as I personally think its a pain in the neck.</span>

I'm not sure why you're confused. My mention of traction control was in response to your talk of performance times whilst lizandjam talks about the sport mode on automatic gearboxes.

Edited by jumborat - 13 Jan 2017 at 9:21am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuga4x4Sep2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 1:54am

Now, I either asked before in here on this forum about these very things or it may have been at the dealership, I cant remember, but from what I do remember, I was told by whoever it was that there is no such function/option on my car to turn on and off traction control or sports mode, is that right or wrong ? Remember its a UK Sep 2016 Titanium X 2.0TDCi 180BHP 4x4 model.

Originally posted by jumborat jumborat wrote:

I do agree about the performance figures Ford quote. They say the Powershift 0-62 is 10 seconds yet I've timed mine at 8.3 seconds with the traction control off, well, as off as you can turn it.

Originally posted by lizandjam lizandjam wrote:

I have the automatic and if coming up to a junction I know I need to get out quickly from I put in Sport mode - as far as I can tell this overrides the Stop/Start. Interesting what you say about the 0-60 times - I'm no expert in fast cars but if you put your foot down the Kuga shifts pretty quickly.

I have a (MANUAL GEARBOX) I just thought I should say, its in my signature but maybe I need to make that clearer.
This is what I am confused at, people saying they can turn on and off either traction control or sport mode (performance options), nothing to do with start/stop tech at all,  I was sure that I was told either by the dealer or I read in here that there is no such options in my car, please confirm ?? 
I was told by whoever it was that there is no such function/option on my car to turn on and off traction control or sports mode, I am not talking about the start/stop tech at this point that turns the engine off at traffic lights and juntions etc, lets get that very clear.

Or if your tired of me asking questions on a public forum simply don't answer, I don't want to cause any bitterness but it seems like some people do like to create this type of atmosphere and it just makes me and others less likely to even use the forum as I have noticed a lot that I get a bit of needle or a dig at me you could say sometimes, that's not nice at all when I try my best to be perfectly pleasant all the time.

I am not as stupid as some of you may think by the way.

Plus the fact, I am being told in this public thread I started that I can turn on or off the engine start/stop tech if I like it or don't like it too and I explained why its pretty pointless me having it on in reality as I don't like it, and the other driver who drives the car now (a male with slight knowledge of cars) doesn't like it either, and from the videos and everything else I explained, it is pointless for the likes of the use my car gets, I already mentioned all this earlier in the thread, if your in very busy town traffic and lights/junctions and waiting for ages etc then yes it saves some pennies per year, if not though then its really not even worth having switched on, have none of you watched all the utube videos and read the internet articles describing what I am saying ? (I have).

You guys have got the "confused" part totally wrong though, maybe I write in a way that is difficult to understand, I have read it all though and cant see any problems in what I said, you may just be picking me up wrong though which is sometimes the case on all forums.

Edited by Kuga4x4Sep2016 - 13 Jan 2017 at 2:22am
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:12am
Stop start cannot be completely disabled by the driver, I guess you could ask your local dealer to see if it can be. It can be temporarily disabled after you start the engine.

Your car will have a stop start button, or are you saying you dont actually have one in the panel shown in the handbook? I think its the latter thats confusing some of us as we thought/thinking from your post you dont actually have a button to temporarily turn off stop start.
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 6:44am
Just to confirm what Phil is saying, Start/Stop has to be disabled by the driver with the switch every time you start up the car if you don't want it to be active,    Traction Control is different, this has to be disabled in settings menu in the information display and it is reactivated when you switch ignition back on, hope that helps
Personally I don' like Start/Stop either, and it isn't fitted to my Kuga, I regularly travel with a friend in his Focus and he too turns it off

Edited by phoneman - 13 Jan 2017 at 6:52am
MK2 Titanium X Sport in Panther Black, wind deflectors, bumper n bonnet protector, lots of toys and a big smile on my face
Morph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:11am
If you don't do the sort of driving that benefits start stop i.e long runs, then start/stop won't come in very often.

Also, if when you pull up to a junction, just dip the clutch but leave it in gear, then start/stop won't come in.

Also the car is not very likely to roll back at a junction as your foot should be on the brake and the car has hill start assist (which will hold the brake on when you take your foot off)

Basically it can be turned off but has to be done each time you drive the car, as has been mentioned by pressing the button down by the gear stick.

Deep Impact ST Line 180PS AWD, Nav, Camera, Drivers Pack, ST Style Pack, Family Pack, Winter Pack, 19's, Towbar, Keyless.
jumborat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jumborat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:20am
First of all, you're even misquoting yourself.

Secondly, and I'll put it in capitals so maybe it gets through this time, MY MENTION OF TRACTION CONTROL WAS IN RESPONSE TO YOU TALKING ABOUT PERFORMANCE FIGURES AND NOTHING TO DO WITH STOP/START. Maybe you should have started a different thread for the performance figures if you can't understand two different responses in one thread.

Thirdly, we know what gearbox you have. It's in your signature and you say it in nearly post.

Fourthly, if I ever see a 66 plate white MK2 I'm going to give it a wide berth.
lizandjam View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lizandjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:03pm
I only mentioned the stop start on the auto because I thought it might help given the discussion went onto stop start engaging at junctions. I don't get to see any signatures as I view this forum on my mobile. Jamie
Kuga #2 - 2016 TDCI AWD 180 Titanium X Sport Powershift in Deep Impact Blue with Family Pack
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuga4x4Sep2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 8:23pm

Secondly, and I'll put it in capitals so maybe it gets through this time, MY MENTION OF TRACTION CONTROL WAS IN RESPONSE TO YOU TALKING ABOUT PERFORMANCE FIGURES AND NOTHING TO DO WITH STOP/START. Maybe you should have started a different thread for the performance figures if you can't understand two different responses in one thread.

Thirdly, we know what gearbox you have. It's in your signature and you say it in nearly post.

TongueTongueTongueLOLLOLLOLTongueTongueTongue GOOD 
jumborat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumborat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 9:03am

TongueTongueTongueLOLLOLLOLTongueTongueTongue GOOD 

Very constructive.

If only you read the handbook instead of this forum.
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 12:08pm
A little animosity has crept into this posting, its not neccessary
MK2 Titanium X Sport in Panther Black, wind deflectors, bumper n bonnet protector, lots of toys and a big smile on my face
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuga4x4Sep2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 1:42am
[/QUOTE] 
jumborat says > 

Very constructive.

If only you read the handbook instead of this forum.[/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have personally found the forum more handy than a stupid manual to be honest, I can sit in the car outside my house with my laptop wireless connection and read the forum and watch Utube videos etc to help me, as for the book, hmmm, I don't like, maybe I am just into things that are more up to date than reading books, I dunno.

Anyhow, yes, very constructive posts indeed. 

Someone tell me the meaning of an online forum again please ?
Doesn't matter, the answer is here >>>
http://techterms.com/definition/web_forum

Edited by Kuga4x4Sep2016 - 17 Jan 2017 at 1:46am
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:09am
I think some confusion and then frustration appeared in the thread. Do you actually think you got an answer that satisfied your question thats the main thing.

Looking at the threads posted in this forum anyone who asks a question usually gets an answer unless no one has an answer to the question of course.

Oddly enough I dont mind the handbook even though it has its short comings, but on the subject of Auto Stop Start it didnt seem too bad at explaining it, and the answers in this thread echo whats in the manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic