FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Start problem again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Ant View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:07pm
If the fuel shut off valve is acting up surely it would cause other issues like the engine cutting out while driving....

Then if the engine mangement is shutting the injectors for some reason wouldnt that that be at any time n not just start up....

Edited by Ant - 19 May 2017 at 12:29pm
2010 Zetec 2ltr TDCI 2WD SUV frozen white
Sponsored Links

Ozekuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:36pm
Surely Ford must have some sort of logic flow chart for this engine and its management system.
When the engine first starts there will be some logic which is peculiar to that scenario, probably temperature related. This causes the fuel to be shut off.
Probably explains why it will fire up fine after work as the temps haven't dropped so low.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

If the fuel shut off valve is acting up surely it would cause other issues like the engine cutting out while driving....

Then if the engine mangement is shutting the injectors for some reason wouldnt that that be at any time n not just start up....

Indeed, what if the fuel shut off valve isn't actually opening fully because its been stood al night, and as mentioned above what is peculiar at start up, usually a requirement of more fuel.

Your right abut the injectors could do it any time, so you could almost rule those out.

Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
Ant View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 6:30am
This morning my wife was trying to start the car and i have noticed a bluey white fume coming from the exhaust while she is trying to start it..
Now the video doesnt show much smoke but i asure you it was quite an ammount each time and it smelled fumey aswell.

https://youtu.be/j0ydlkax9tI

So im now leaning towards the crankshaft sensor.....
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 6:51am
Why the crank sensor?

Blue smoke is usually a sign of warn cylinders and its burning oil, but yours is burning oil anyway being a Diesel as its fuel and its a cold engine failing to run. Worry if the blue smoke was there when the engine is at operating temperature.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Ant View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:16am
Never noticed any coloured smoke at any time until this morning and it was only by chance that i did...

Still no DTC showing at all.

I found the crank shaft senor on the Forscan...
Set the firscan to read whilst trying to start reading said yes as we tried then no when it stopped..

Somebody asked about fuel comsumption i think....
Well we filled up and did 200miles on just over a 1/4 of a tank......
I think that is pretty good

Edited by Ant - 20 May 2017 at 7:40am
hillybilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:11am
It won't be a fuel shut off valve sounds to me to be lack off fuel engine fires runs briefly
until fuel presure on common rail drops engine then has to crank till it builds enough presure to get the injectors to squirt some fuel into cylinder again first thing I would do is change the diesel filter for a new one making sure to change the seals check filter that comes off black oily deposits on it and check the engine air filter if it's blocked could have similar effects could also be lift pump have it checked if your mechanic have already done this do it again remember the injectors won't operate iff there is not enough fuel presure in thr rail
So the will be no signal at the crank Sensor .
Check lift pump fuel piping filter etc look any diesel leaks on piping between tank and lift pump.surley it's gone on long enough now if all else fails get it on dealer diagnostics .

Ant View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:33am
Had to call out RAC as it was worrying...
RAC guy thinks its the EGR valve....
Anyway he said he cant be sure as the diagnostic system would not let him do anything as they have had a new software installation and it now limits them to what they can do....

Anyway like i said the guy thinks its the EGR valve and that is where he would start..
There is good fuel pressure and the battery is ok and the starter...
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by hillybilly hillybilly wrote:

It won't be a fuel shut off valve sounds to me to be lack off fuel engine fires runs briefly
until fuel presure on common rail drops engine then has to crank till it builds enough presure to get the injectors to squirt some fuel into cylinder again first thing I would do is change the diesel filter for a new one making sure to change the seals check filter that comes off black oily deposits on it and check the engine air filter if it's blocked could have similar effects could also be lift pump have it checked if your mechanic have already done this do it again remember the injectors won't operate iff there is not enough fuel presure in thr rail
So the will be no signal at the crank Sensor .
Check lift pump fuel piping filter etc look any diesel leaks on piping between tank and lift pump.surley it's gone on long enough now if all else fails get it on dealer diagnostics .

I was thinking it may have been only marginally opening.

tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 8:41pm

Had to call out RAC as it was worrying...
RAC guy thinks its the EGR valve....
Anyway he said he cant be sure as the diagnostic system would not let him do anything as they have had a new software installation and it now limits them to what they can do....

Anyway like i said the guy thinks its the EGR valve and that is where he would start..
There is good fuel pressure and the battery is ok and the starter...

The EGR does not stop engine from running. The engine would run but the vehicle would be in limp mode.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
Ant View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:04am
Well i had a theory last night seeing that once it starts and my wife travels to work about 5miles and the kuga sits there for 10hrs and still starts first time when she heads home..

Well yesterday after shopping the kuga gad been on the drive for 10hrs again i thought a quick whizz up the motorway to a turn around point which means it 17miles return hefore we went to bed and see if it starts first time in the morning...

So at 7am this morning after the quick whizz up the road and being left over night for another 10hrs its started first time...

So we will do that again tonight to see if it works again tomorrow....

On another point the wife as noticed that kuga starts to get warm air flowing the vents etc and that is without the heater switched to on.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:10am
Ant what sort of journey is the ten miles to work is it 30mph start stop or a quick blast
Down the motorway .
Ant View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:09am
Its all the usual main roads through town etc....
Numerous traffic lights and plenty of stop...starts.....

Edited by Ant - 21 May 2017 at 11:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:18pm
Hi ant take it for a good run find a duel car age way or motorway put it in fourth gear and try and keep it between 60- 65 mph minimum and see how it goes after that .
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:30pm
Further to George's suggestion, give it at least 20 minutes constant running and don't let revs drop below 2500, thats why you'll need to keep it in 4th gear, possibly even 3rd, don't change up to 5th. Neighbour of mine has a 59 plate which had remarkably similar symptoms a while back and a forced DPF regen sorted it out.

Edited by phoneman - 21 May 2017 at 8:33pm
MK2 Titanium X Sport in Panther Black, wind deflectors, bumper and bonnet protectors, dashcam to record the idiots
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:47pm

Well i had a theory last night seeing that once it starts and my wife travels to work about 5miles and the kuga sits there for 10hrs and still starts first time when she heads home..

Well yesterday after shopping the kuga gad been on the drive for 10hrs again i thought a quick whizz up the motorway to a turn around point which means it 17miles return hefore we went to bed and see if it starts first time in the morning...

So at 7am this morning after the quick whizz up the road and being left over night for another 10hrs its started first time...

So we will do that again tonight to see if it works again tomorrow....

Hmm...

Can it be that there is somekind of electrical thing that goes to ''sleep'' after every 10 or so hours?
Similar to the radio going to sleep after an hour.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
Ant View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:51am
Originally posted by hillybilly hillybilly wrote:

Hi ant take it for a good run find a duel car age way or motorway put it in fourth gear and try and keep it between 60- 65 mph minimum and see how it goes after that .

We did a 30min round trip up the motorway last night at 9pm doing a steady 70mph.....
This morning at 4-30am the kuga started first time.......no smoke nothing .
So thats two evening trips and two following morning first time starts..

Hillbilly...
What is your theory behind your method if you are thinking of the DPF then the kuga did a several 3hr+ motorway trips last week and it gets a regular 20min/45min on the motorway at least once a fortnight....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:03am
Forced dpf regeneration it should do it its self when required but on short runs it could be having incomplete regens also to give the engine a clear out a good clear out would take more miles .
Ozio01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozio01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:29am
New Kuga (4-month old), 5000km. ST-1.5 diesel. Yesterday I left it in a very sunny place for 4 hours. Then, it required 6 attempts (button pushed) to start. What about it? Ever happened to any of you? Thanks.
tractorboy View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:13am
Probably best to start your own thread on that one.

Bob
2013 Kuga Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 163PS Powershift AWD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic