FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

SPEEDO or GPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Fillco Fillco wrote:

Well I wasn't actually guessing its a figure of speech.

This discussion has been mooted before and nobody else seem to have a problem with specified tyre sizes

The tyre size's specified by the manufacturer keep the vehicle within the speed tolerances they have designed. If an owner wished to vary the tyre size that is up to him, if doing so brings the indicated speed near to the actual speed, not a problem, though it reduces the margin of error indicated error for violating any speed limit, if it goes way low or way high then the choice is there to have the speed indication recalibrated or not. The error on the Kuga seems to fixed number 3mph or 5km/h so its not even hard to work out the actual speed.

Tire size does not significantly affect the speed indication if you work within the rime diameter and aspect ratio. You could have 12" rims as long as the sidewall takes up the difference.

Are we discussin a problem that actually isn't there.

I'd like to think a brand new vehicle would give a fairly accurate reading. It wasn't until I got sick of people sailing past me that I bothered to check mine and established 4-5 km/h error at 60. It annoys me as I often use the cruise in light traffic and now need to compensate for an inaccuracy that simply shouldn't be there in this day and age.

If you go changing tyre widths/ sidewall ratios you can get a closer result, Each to their own on that, keep within your local laws and enjoy less error in your speed readout.
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
Sponsored Links

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
I don't think its as matter of getting closer I believe manufacturers have to actually indicate high, litigation could be raised if it was spot on and the owner gradually drifted over. The vehicles overtaking you are probably also ignoring the indicated speed.

I have mentioned this before, rested your average speed and travel on a road at a constant 30 mph and watch the average speed indication. Does it agree with your satnav? So yes they can get the speed indication very near indeed.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:44am
That error makes the digital speed readout on the centre instrument display a bit of a joke (and pointless.) It's interesting how they don't have a speed given on the Sync 2 SatNav - it was one of the first things I checked for. (I use the SatNav speed on my other vehicle to set the cruise control off.)
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:54am
Yes the error does seems to make a little bit of a nonsense of both the digital ands an*logue speed indication, but aren't other manufacturers also introducing a similar error? There is a speed limit indication on my Sync 2 as was on my MK1 with Sync(1) but neither had true speed indication, or I didn't know about it if did, for that I use my Garmin.

But, back to the topic, the Satnav as far as the Kuga is concerned indicates a more correct speed, and tyre size if working within the manufacturers guidelines makes no difference other than maybe a flickering last digit of true speed on a satnav. Or it doesn't between 19" and 16" on my car anyway, and the error remains.

Edited by Fillco - 13 Oct 2017 at 4:55am
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 7:19am
Interesting how my original posting question has opened up so many points. For the speed variations quoted in the replies I think going off the speedo is the option to take, far better to be under the true limit than over, anyway, my boy racer days are long gone !
MK2 Titanium X Sport in Panther Black, wind deflectors, bumper and bonnet protectors, dashcam to film the idiots on the road, just in case
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:03am
Indeed.

I find the error to be a constant 3mph at any speed!!
ric8ard View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric8ard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:29am
3 mph is the  same with me  speedo 73  cruise control 70   seem to keep up with traffic  so  must be  ok 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic