FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Croppster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croppster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rocker Cover Gasket
    Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:02pm
Hi all

I recently spotted a small oil leak so my local garage took it in for me for inspection, it turns out I need a new rocker cover gasket, great I thought until they informed me I needed a intake manifold too as it's a complete unit and Only Ford do them, priced at just over £400! Plus labour. I trust my garage but you'd think it's only the gasket, something seems wrong to me. So I thought I'd post it on here for your thoughts. I'm told not many Kuga's need it like this but mine is one that does.

I have a 2012 Ford Kuga Titanium X AWD 2 litre diesel 163 bhp

Many thanks
Karl
Kuga Titanium, AWD(163ps) Frozen White, App & Conv Pack with 18" alloys.
Sponsored Links

tractorboy View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:38am
The rocker cover and inlet manifold are a single item.  Sounds like they are saying that is actually broken in some way which is very odd.  Have they taken it off yet?  If it just needed the gasket then they are less than £30 from ECP.

Bob
2013 Kuga Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 163PS Powershift AWD.
Croppster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croppster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 1:19pm
Thank you for the reply

The garage has been back to me and told me they was advised wrongly by the suppliers, the price they was given was for a different part so the final bill including fitting is £290 which is more realistic. Panic over!

Karl
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 1:23pm
What is that 290 for?
Removing the cover takes about 30mins, and reattaching about same. New gaskets about 70eur for all of them.
Haven't changed gaskets on mine but I have once cleaned the inside of the manifold. Yes it's annoyingly one big piece of plastic.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 5:59pm
Is there a lot to remove to replace a gasket? I guess there must be.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:05pm
It was quite some time ago, when I did that.

But from what I remember, about 15 bolts that are different length, so make notes when removing.
Then you need to remove the wire connectors from the injectors, also remove the rubber covers that go around those bendy fuel lines close to the injectors.
You also need to remove the throttle body, egr pipe.

But basically look straight down at the intake manifold, look where bolts are and what needs to be removed.
Quite simple.

As a side note. The intake has one inlet coming from the turbo, and 8 smaller outlets that go in the head.
And a big portion of the intake manifold is covering one of the camshafts(good time to make inspecion, mine had 170k km on the clock, with NO wear).

In total the intake has 8 smaller and one big gasket.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 10:27pm
So a bit of work. gasket isn't under a lot, if any pressure, so makes you wonder why its leaking. but there you go.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:34pm
Can you specify which part of the intake gasket is actually leaking?
The 8 inlet pipes, or the big camshaft cover gasket.
Camshaft gasket should have little to no pressure.
Those 8 inlet pipes however have pressure coming straight from turbo. But in those pipes you should see little to no oil.

At least my intake manifold had very thin film of oil inside. But the gunk, made by EGR......oh god. Let's not remember that.
(I have some photos in Facebook if anyone wants to see)
tractorboy View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:19pm
Although the camshaft cover gasket is under little pressure they are capable of leaking a huge amount of oil.  However, it's a rare problem on this engine.

Bob
2013 Kuga Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 163PS Powershift AWD.
Croppster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croppster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:12am
Hi All

Im no mechanic but I used to know my way around my Ford Orion back in the day.

From what the garage told me the rocker cover gasket leaked, to replace the gasket you need a kit which includes various seals and the intake manifold cover, I did check this with my local Ford dealer and they confirmed, they completed a full check and oil/filter changed, cleaned the engine etc and will check again in 500 miles to ensure no other leaks are occurring, I'm happy with the total bill of £290, Ford told me its not uncommon for this gasket to go even though I've only done 49,000 miles, I also tow a caravan regularly so not sure if that puts any stress on various parts etc. 
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:43am
It doesn't sound too bad if you've oil and filters change. Like others expressing slight concern, a rocker cover gasket shouldn't leak unless it has an imperfection from day one. There's usually enough ribbing on the rocker cover to provide enough strength for the gasket to form a seal between the rocker cover and the head, but I guess it one of those things.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic