FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Removal of Rear Bumper Protector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sl7023 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sl7023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removal of Rear Bumper Protector
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:11pm
I've now had my Kuga for over 8 years (picked it up new on 31st December 2009). 92k miles on the clock and, other than routine maintenance, the only cost has been to replace the alternator, which appears to be a known weak spot.

Looking to replace it in the early part of this year, new Kuga top of the list, but also considering an Edge - however, think it might be a bit unwieldy for some of the roads I travel. One of the things I love about the Kuga is the size, just right for us.

Rather than trade my Mk 1 in, I'm going to pass it on to my daughter. It's in great nick, I pride myself in keeping it this way. Before I pass it to her, I'm going to have it fully detailed, just to remove some of the marks it's accumulated over the years. As part of that, I intend replacing the rear bumper protector, as it's become pretty faded (on the part that sits outside - the bit that sits inside the boot is like new !).

Question is - how easy is it to remove the original ? If I remember correctly, when I fitted it, I used some strips of double-sided tape that it came with. Should I tray and heat these up before trying to remove it. I realise I could simply use brute force and tear it off, but I'm concerned that I damage the bumper underneath in some way.

Any hints or tips on removing it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links

grjstaples View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grjstaples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:23pm
Usually find tht if you lever it gently - dont force it and leave the pressure there whilst you have a brew - even the best tape slowly gives way - then move and repeat - once started sone warm water will help it unstick
sl7023 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sl7023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
Many thanks, will give it a go tomorrow - weather permitting !
Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:03pm
WD40 sprayed on to the double sided tape can help release the adhesive.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:23pm
I would do it as warm as possible and gradually lever up and when you get it off WD40 is brilliant for dissolving the tape residue then give it a good cleaning. If you are thinking of replacing it I would definitely recommend the Ford clear protector, yes they are more expensive but fit absolutely perfectly. i have had coloured and stainless ones previously but now use the Ford ones.

Edited by phoneman - 12 Jan 2018 at 9:24pm
Kuga 1,Platinum White Titanium with X Pack
Kuga 2, Panther Black Titanium X Sport
Kuga 3 Frozen White, ST Line,with many extras (and ongoing DAB text fault)
sl7023 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sl7023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:21am
Many thanks for the updates phoneman & Ozekuga, will let you know how I get on !
Trigg123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trigg123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:12pm
Hot air gun used sensibly will sort it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic