FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Mk2 Kuga fuel consumption / Miles Per Gallon MPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The.Real.Me View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Real.Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
Mine is manual and I have had Eco Champion many times just cant get the MPG up above 25ish

Ron
2017 Kuga Titanium X Ecoboost 1.5L 16V (150PS) Petrol, Deep Impact Blue (Metallic) Blackvue DR650S - 2CH Dashcam
Sponsored Links

AndyS79 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 2:33pm
I'll point out that my 45mpg was a one-off, due to doing a long drive with little traffic, taking it easy and spending a lot of time with the cruise set to 50mph due to road works. Like most 1.5 manual Ecoboosts, mine usually averages mid to high 30's and gives about 400 miles to a tank.

Ron - Out of interest, how many miles were you getting to a tank when doing that test for Ford? Just wondering if perhaps the trip computer has been calibrated wrong rather than than you having an engine fault.

Edited by AndyS79 - 13 Mar 2018 at 2:35pm
2015 Titanium 1.5 Ecoboost
The.Real.Me View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Real.Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by AndyS79 AndyS79 wrote:

I'll point out that my 45mpg was a one-off, due to doing a long drive with little traffic, taking it easy and spending a lot of time with the cruise set to 50mph due to road works. Like most 1.5 manual Ecoboosts, mine usually averages mid to high 30's and gives about 400 miles to a tank.

Ron - Out of interest, how many miles were you getting to a tank when doing that test for Ford? Just wondering if perhaps the trip computer has been calibrated wrong rather than than you having an engine fault.

Before the test using mainly Tesco fuel around 26 MPG, I once got 31 when on a long straight road with no other traffic and I purposely stuck to 56 MPH.

When I used BP fuel for the test it dropped to 23.3 MPG, my dealer and Ford also thought my trip computer may be faulty but I also put everything on a spreadsheet and calculated MPG myself and was about 0.2 MPG out to my trip computer so dont think thats the problem.

My dealer has had it there since last Thursday, apart from the fuel economy, they are addressing the DAB problems and carrying out the first service.

Ron
2017 Kuga Titanium X Ecoboost 1.5L 16V (150PS) Petrol, Deep Impact Blue (Metallic) Blackvue DR650S - 2CH Dashcam
buck alec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buck alec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:56pm
I have 650 miles now on the 1.5 eco and the average is 30 mpg . That is mainly town driving.Im more than happy with these figures!
Ginger_ale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger_ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:15pm
I have just used up my first tank and getting around 44mpg. That's in a 14 plate 2wd 2.0 TDCI 140.

The travelling I do is around 45% on m/way and 55% on back roads with a 90 mile  a day commute to work.

With mine being a low miler, I am wondering if it might be worth putting a bottle of engine treatment through as the trip computer was showing 35mpg before so I am betting it rarely got a blast. It's showing 48mpg on the trip but working out based on miles and a full refill it's actually 44mpg.
ST1204 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST1204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:49pm
Fuel economy is really my only disappointment after a month of ownership. The car itself is superb.

2013 Titanium X 2.0 Diesel AWD. Manual. 39000 miles.

Around town averages 32/33mpg. I can take that. At the weekend did a 250 mile round trip, 70/80mph average. 6th gear motorway driving. Still got no more than 35mpg average. The best ive had by ultra economical driving is 37mpg. If you gave me 40mpg+ right now i'd snap your hand off and say its the best car we've owned. We love it but economy is not that impressive. Perhaps i'm asking too much.
mark-essex View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mark-essex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 6:35am
That's about the same MPG I get in a Galaxy at those speeds with the same powertrain.

If you reduce your average speed to 65-70 you would see over 40 for sure.

These cars aren't exactly aerodynamic.

Edited by mark-essex - 15 Mar 2018 at 6:39am
2017 ST Line 1.5 EcoBoost 6 speed manual, Winter pack, privacy glass, rear camera, drivers assistance pack, 19" black alloys.
AndyS79 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 8:46am
Agreed. They're not aerodynamic so high speeds really kill the fuel economy. If you're averaging 80mph on the motorway rather than 70mph it will make a big difference. 
2015 Titanium 1.5 Ecoboost
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 8:58am
Traded in my 14 plate Titanium X Sport AWD Manual 2L diesel in November with 25K on clock and my overall mpg was averaging 41-42 mpg with a good mix of town and motorway driving. My current ST Line is 2L diesel FWD and I am just managing 38/39 mpg with 6K on clock which should improve as mileage increases

Edited by phoneman - 15 Mar 2018 at 9:00am
Kuga 1,Platinum White Titanium with X Pack
Kuga 2, Panther Black Titanium X Sport
Kuga 3 Frozen White, ST Line,with many extras (and ongoing DAB text fault)
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:13am
Its probably somewhere in this thread, but in my 163 PS (manual) Kuga I got around 39mpg local miles on a warm engine. On the motorway I'd get at best about 42-43 combined but 80% of the miles would be at a good 70mph. Oddly enough, doing the same very regular journey (over almost 60000 miles) with over 300kg of goods in the back made little difference to the consumption. Speed did make a difference

My present Kuga is around 42-43 local and while I dont now do the long journeys I used to, I do get 47+ on long journeys and still do a good 70mph. Still sothing like the book of course.

It is annoying though that the figures in the brochure are there as stated in the brochure to allow comparison with other vehicles and other manufacturers and they don't, even when staying with Ford. When I got my 163 MK2 Kuga the brochure said I'd get a combined of around mid 46-47 and of course I got around 42-43. Compared to my MK4 Mondeo Euro 4 engine which I changed from which gave 46-47 which was what the brochure said it would.  Both cars were driven on the same long journeys. But there again, is 10% differential enough to complain about.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
tgo View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:33am
speed is terrible, once you get past 55 mph or so when drag starts to make a difference, its something like 4x as much energy to propel at 2x the speed or something, so if you want to  go twice as fast it's 4x as hard, so there goes your fuel economy.

If your patience can take it, and fuel efficiency is your goal in life,  aim for 55-60 in top gear (no CC) pootling along if you can.
2018 Titanium X 150 Petrol (Manual) Shadow Black - Appearance Pack - Rear Camera - Mud-Flaps.
DEREKTUCKER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEREKTUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:34am
Hello all ive just got a 180 bhp 4 wheel drive power shift kuga titanium x ive only done 400 miles mixed driving wigh it so far.Some with caravan on the back im getting so it says 34.5 to a gallon .so time will tell when its run in as ghey say .cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEREKTUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:35am
Hello all ive just got a 180 bhp 4 wheel drive power shift kuga titanium x ive only done 400 miles mixed driving with it so far.Some with caravan on the back im getting so it says 34.5 to a gallon .so time will tell when its run in as they say .cheers
mark-essex View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark-essex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:27am
180 mile round trip yesterday to France.

Weather was poor (snow) so although the roads looked clear my speed on motorway was around 60-65.

Average consumption - 39mpg.
2017 ST Line 1.5 EcoBoost 6 speed manual, Winter pack, privacy glass, rear camera, drivers assistance pack, 19" black alloys.
oscarmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:54am
We only have the 150 powershift at same mileage we were getting about 32mpg towing 1554kg, by the time we go out again we will have about 7000 miles on the clock, we can see if we get any improvements.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEREKTUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:58pm
hello yes we have been towing for over 40yrs now and i was towing with a 2.2 x type jaguar.the kuga is much better all around.we have a trip to switzerland planned in summer  so time will tell on the fuel.our van is 1425kgs so well in the range of the kuga .the cars going well just now and we both like it to drive.
Ped 49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ped 49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:30pm
Hi the 163 all and I get on the motorway about 38 40 mpg
Freddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:22pm
I just did around 100 miles bringing my caravan back to Bristol. I returned around 25mpg, at a fairly constant 60mph,not great. I had previously recorded around 52mpg solo on the same journey, again at a fairly constant 60mph.

Edited by Freddy - 24 Mar 2018 at 9:23pm
2016 2.0L TDCI (180) ST Line AWD, with lots of extras, which is nice
Jack155Q4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack155Q4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 7:41pm
We have just replaced our 2.0 TDCI AWD Kuga (which did 30MPG around town) with a 1.5 182 AWD Petrol Ecoboost. I was expecting it to be a LOT more efficient but perhaps the car is too heavy for a small turbo engine; it is currently doing 19MPG! 

I really hope there is something wrong with it. I know the engine must be a bit too new (only 700 miles in) to give good figures yet. We are doing 90% of driving around town - 20-40mph.

Any ideas if it will improve any time soon?Ouch

Edited by Jack155Q4 - 31 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
Ped 49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ped 49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 8:04pm
Have you tried taking it for a good run on the motorway. that's pretty poor for that engine have a look on here and see what others are getting good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293>
  Share Topic