FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Kugas destroyed by fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Taxi5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxi5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:16pm
I spoke to my dealer and Ford UK. Neither showed any interest. Ford UK logged the case, gave me a reference ID but would not commit to coming back to me with any defaults. Happy to talk to your local paper as well to show that this isn't an isolated matter.
Sponsored Links

RobBentham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobBentham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:33pm
The wife mailed Ford HQ in Brentwood. But they are investigating, . She threatened them with legal action and to go to all the papers with negative press may have had a contributing factor.
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 10:03am
Had to replace my alternator a couple of weeks ago (granted it was 7 years old ...) 

The battery light was the only indication of a problem and yes (a couple of days later after charging the battery) , when you lose electrics, you lose steering (as it's electrically assisted) etc ... my question - is this (fires) something that happens generally to alternators or is it something to Kugas ... 

I tried to test the theory by using the test mode to cycle to voltage and then check to see if the battery voltage (before starting the engine) changed with the engine running ... but it seemed to be providing some charging ... a couple of days later (when the battery went below 10V) it was obvious there was no additional charge being generated from the alternator and the battery had been solely supplying the electrics

This shows the importance of the battery warning light ... (seems innocuous but actually could be critical) - Ford should at least update the software so the battery light triggers a Engine Warning type message alert to get the driver to seek advice immediately ... 

Edited by HugaKuga - 07 Nov 2015 at 10:10am
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 10:28am
err yes there is a lot of issues with alternator fires - applies to all manufacturers, all vehicle types trucks, cars, snowmobiles ... it can even happen when the vehicle isn't being driven

Interestingly insurance cover is something to be aware of ... 

3rd party, fire and theft, might not apply to alternator fires ... the reasoning is that it's damage caused by mechanical wear, rather than deliberate (vandalism) type fire ... 

Comprehensive insurance - should cover the repairs to a vehicle ... but not the initial mechanical fault ... i.e. if your gearbox failed and you ended up in ditch ... insurance would pay for the crash repairs, but wouldn't cover the purchase of a gearbox ... 

This is actually going to get more common as there are more demands on the charging systems ... 

wonder if this is the cause of the Zafira fires ... 

Edited by HugaKuga - 07 Nov 2015 at 10:30am
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 11:08am
The battery light is the warning and of course its reason for illumination should be inspected ASAP so no reason to say its an Engine Malfunction because it isnt actually an engine malfunction.

A member on here who was going to let me have his failed alternator to inspect hasnt got back in touch with me, but due to the fundamental construction and principal way an alternator operates its not hard to work out what has failed even before it is inspected.

There is a 150 amp fuse in the alternator to battery lead, this will more than likely instantaneously blow on a dead short, but load the fuse up gently and it will probably blow at over 200amp. So this fuse could prevent the alternator being overloaded but only at some value above 200amp before it blows. The fuse would also prevent the alternator if it failed from drawing more than the 200 amp from the battery but any sustained value lower than 200amp, even at 150 amp multiplied by the voltage of 12V is almost 2kW of heat. The alternator will probably fail and not be a dead short so we have the potential (thats not a pun) for heat to be generated.

OK we are assuming that these fires are the alternators, but going back to reports of alternator failures, there is always the fact that the alternator has got hot.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
new2kuga View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new2kuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 1:21am
Not scaremongering but found out about another Kuga fire ! http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Mum-demands-recall-car-bursts-flames/story-28150676-detail/story.html

Article doesn't say what year !

Anyone any ideas why this could be happening?

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 5:53am
Yeh thats Robs. Previous page.

Obviously 2 issues here, the alternator and the heated washer jets.

Edited by Fillco - 12 Nov 2015 at 5:54am
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
RobBentham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobBentham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:20am
I had no idea it had been put in the derby telegraph. Lol I thought it was just the Burton mail.

Rob
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 10:40am
A bit of an FYI for fellow Kuga owners:

2 recent Kuga fires have captured the interest of the public in our country, where investigations reveal a tally of 18 vehicles that have caught alight to date.
One of these was responsible for the death of a driver who could not escape the vehicle timeously.

Ford appeared to distance themselves from the issue until recent public outcry forced their hand.

Local agents tell me my Mk1 is not susceptible to the fault and it is not necessary to come in for a check up.

They seem interested in 2014 Mk2's.
2012 Mk1
2.5t 147kW AWD Trend, AW55-51SN Auto Box
Electric White, Black Leather
17"s
essexeddie View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:46pm
I'm in Cape Town at the moment and in the Durban local paper there was an article about 2012 onwards Kugas catching light from the engine bay. 27 recorded so far. Also it is a concern here as it freezes the door locking system which is very important out here.

Edited by essexeddie - 22 Dec 2016 at 5:50pm
KUGA-EDD

The Essex 'KUGA KID'

Driving a 2010 AWD Frozen White Zetec, 47MPG Urban.   With a thingy. And new nuts.
bryfly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:59pm

Ford has commented in South Africa

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/kuga-fires-may-be-engine-overheating---ford-7263297
2016 Facelift Kuga, Zetec 1.5, 2wd, econectic 150ps, petrol, manual, Colour:-Guard, appearance pack, mud flaps.
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 7:20pm
Welcome to sunny SA Essexeddie! Same country, different numbers - seems we have different sources!
Times Live + 1 near our town center this last week.

The gent who died in the car a year ago is related to one of our local business partners.

Edited by Orbit24 - 22 Dec 2016 at 7:28pm
2012 Mk1
17"s
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:44am
More incidents in the news:

IOL Three Kugas

Edited by Orbit24 - 03 Jan 2017 at 7:45am
2012 Mk1
17"s
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:53am
So what is the general thought as to what is causing the fires. The above post says that Ford believe it is due to unapproved gadgets?
dexterPicard View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dexterPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Fillco Fillco wrote:

So what is the general thought as to what is causing the fires. The above post says that Ford believe it is due to unapproved gadgets?
threads on this forum shows, that exactly gadgets are installed and safety fiddled with. So if you get some heater installed and it malfunction, that could easily cause fires. 

Curr: 2017 Kuga MCA ST-Line, 1.5 , Shadow black, rearcam, driver ass. pack, park. pack, panorama, Sync3/SatNav, 18" & 19", rails, keyless.
Prev: Kuga Titanium Ecoboost 1.5 Petrol (2015) Magnetic.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:07am
Sounds like someone has installed things 'incorrectly' then. I can only find the IOL Three Kugas link that mentions gadgets. Electrical items installed correctly should present no problems.

Majority on here and this thread are in the MK1 section are MK1's. The alternator in ten MK1's seems to be prone to apparent failure due to overheating.

The ones from SA appear to be MK2s.

Edited by Fillco - 03 Jan 2017 at 9:10am
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:39am
My 2c:

I would have to respectfully disagree with the incorrectly installed gadget theory. In our country vehicles do not have to participate in an annual MOT. (roadworthy certificates are only required when a vehicle is sold from one owner to the next)
The net result is a vast number of vehicles - over a few years of age, have aftermarket accessories that have been fitted by the general public. Whilst occasionally you may read of a vehicle burning out it has never been this specific to a particular make and model.

Also, these are late model vehicles which are consistently experiencing chronic combustion across a cross section of owners.

I think Ford SA may be between a rock and a hard place, balancing the brand image, the possible actual cause of the ignition (versus the press release notes) and handling the losses in sales and profits associated with re-calls, bad press and damaged revenue.

Think Note 7.
2012 Mk1
17"s
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:56am
I agree Craig. I was making the comment in response to Dexters post, of

"Threads on this forum shows, that exactly gadgets are installed and safety fiddled with. So if you get some heater installed and it malfunction, that could easily cause fires."

So I would say that it, "Sounds like someone has installed things 'incorrectly' then."

And, Electrical items installed correctly should present no problems.

Certainly something amiss. Is it a particular engine BTW?

Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:17am
Absolutely Phil.

The local issues appear to be associated with the 1.6 EcoBoost equipped MkII's.
2012 Mk1
17"s
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:29am
Thank you that may inform a few of us on here.

P

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic